Best Thread Capital Spreads

Simon,

I have tried the demo platform and I cannot tell the difference between the execution during a 1 bar connection and a 3 bar. Could you tell me what the differences are depending on the number of bars in terms of user experience?

Thanks.

twinj

no i am afraid i cannot add any light there. to be honest i sometimes wonder about the effectiveness of the "reception gauges" . we all must have had similar issues with our mobiles when the reception is apparently fantastic but you cannot hear the other person and other times when it is showing a really weak signal and you can chat away fine.

I am tempted to say that, in the main it is a signal to show how much data the connection can handle at any one time .. but as the platform only uses about 2pc of cpu i doubt if this has much effect so long as there is some kind of connectivity.

simon

The reception gauges on the majority of trading platforms tend attempt to show the latency of the your connection between your trading program and the server. (Basically the time it takes for a message to get to get and back)

General ISP/Internet issues aside, a few things can skew this figure on trading platforms, such as :

1) your computer/connection being bogged down on the data, (unlikely, unless on torrents too!)
2) your CPU or Flash Player being overloaded
3) the servers/host network being overloaded, or not being able to cope with sending a reply in a timely fashion (at the end of the day everything gets queued)

In most cases the latency is averaged over multiple goes, I believe that in the CS case, this is averaged over the last 3 goes, with Excellent being less than 0.25 seconds, Good 0.5, Avg, 0.75 etc...

If you're abroad then yes, you'll be affected depending on where you are, and chances are if you're remote location somewhere you'll get a lot of jitter (changes in latencies rather than consistent)... Try speedtest.net or pingtest.net and pick a server in the UK to see. If it's stable on those sites, and you just see varying connection with your provider, that's where the problem will most likely lay.....

Thank you so much for your detailed responses. I tried speedtest with server in London and got 285ms ping and 5Mbps up and down. For some reason, I am getting on average "average" so pretty okay. But I have accepted this delay. I have not had a red cross apart from logging out so it appears I can get executed.

No problem. If you're still being accepted that *could* be to your advantage then... If you're quick enough, get a local feed to an exchange or broker of your liking, and chances are you'll see the prices earlier. If you still get accepted by a broker in a different country that tolerates high latency, then that's just handy.....

Simon, what has happened to the 1 point spread offer on the Dow? I keep asking but for a reason or the other you seem to skip my question. Please inform us Dow traders what your plans are on this matter.

Hey Simon,

I like the fact that you are on here dealing with all of these comments. I was wondering if you can offer the Average True Range indicator. It is a pretty popular indicator and esential for me. I won't trade without it.

I hope you can help
David

ocean

i am a bit out of the technical indicator world these days. i will ask the charting gurus if this in the pipeline

charnock

almost there

simon

Why does it happen that you close all of a sudden? Requiring to call to get in or out of a position.

Why does it happen that you close all of a sudden? Requiring to call to get in or out of a position.
Welcome to the world of spread betting. It is probably due to technical problems, very important that you have for security reason a secondary SB provider up and running, so that in need you can hedge yourself in order to avoid losses and protect your profit. As I see it, a stop loss must be in place, who knows you might not get through by phone.

I've seen this happen before but usually it's very short term.

Well I'm glad this happened now and not when (some day hopefully) I have large positions running. I'll need to start building a bankroll for hedging.

not sure about the individual instance. but the majority of times for a market going closed is because the price goes into 'crossed' in the underlying market. I.e the bid goes higher than the offer at which point the exchange closes the market This happens in the LSE quite a lot

it can also happen in the FX markets very briefly and our systems are designed to flick to closed if it happens (although sometimes a weird price gets through!)

Simon

I'd think it's pretty rare for all european stocks to 'cross' at the same time. For 30-60min. Still I could see the prices move.

What ever it may be I'll take gle101's advice on this.

oh

this was our reuters price feed (yesterday? day before?) it went down and it took some time for us to get it up again.

fortunately it was a very dull period

simon

On the day I posted (22.8).

Another LCG site went "closed" on european equities(I had small positions open there) but they have no thread here so I went to see the situation at Capital Spreads and it was closed, too.

So I figured I would ask for the reason here.

oh

this was our reuters price feed (yesterday? day before?) it went down and it took some time for us to get it up again.

fortunately it was a very dull period

simon

Not so dull if you were sitting watching your life's savings go down the drain, perhaps.