Best Thread Capital Spreads

dhb368 said:
I currently use Deal4FREE, who no longer trade WLF.

Which SB company's have the best range of UK stock available to trade?

I understand that CS offer FTSE 350. Is that correct?

Yes, CS offer 350 stocks. IG index offer any stock capitalised above £20M - though the spreads aren't quite as good. I think IG offer the widest range of all the SB co's.

UTB

Parish said:
I'm just crap at spread betting and keep losing money even when it's all working fine

Parish, you are not crap it is all part of the 'training', I recommend : -
1) email AussieTrader for advice as I believe you bought his book.
2) look at www.originalturtles.org
3) model and backtest your strategy (take into account spread) this will give you a theoretical win / loss ratio, then run your money management rules against this.
4) there seem to be favourable reviews about www.insightsupport.com, I am sure there are other good spread betting trainers just check feedback on this website.
5) look at the psychological side, interesting book is - The Disciplined Trader : Mark Douglas ISBN 0-13-215757-8
6) also trade2win has a lot of useful information

LevII
In reply to your post 30/10/04, we're not sure what you would like us to say... We offer tighter spreads and reduced margin because we can afford to do so! This tends to be a positive feature. (or perhaps we have misread your comment?)

zzaxx99, We're sorry about your failed application attempt. If you give us a call we can complete the form for you if that would help....

Everyone else, you may be pleased to hear that we have just launched Rolling Daily Bets.

Good luck
Simon

capitalspreads said:
LevII
In reply to your post 30/10/04, we're not sure what you would like us to say... We offer tighter spreads and reduced margin because we can afford to do so! This tends to be a positive feature. (or perhaps we have misread your comment?)

zzaxx99, We're sorry about your failed application attempt. If you give us a call we can complete the form for you if that would help....

Everyone else, you may be pleased to hear that we have just launched Rolling Daily Bets.

Good luck
Simon

I think you've misread his point. The D4F qoute appears significantly tighter.

Anyway - I've been impressed by your system. I tend to do more deals through IG (spit ;) )as they offer credit accounts (less transferring of cash too and from). Do you plan to introduce this in future?

UTB

Last edited:
FWIW, I've now signed-up (no trouble at all this time). I'd be trading away now if my stupid bank hadn't cancelled my replacement debit card instead of the lost one :rolleyes:

Sorry there has been no comment for a while... I went on holiday

So.. in no particular order...

We have no plans to offer credit accounts ( general groan , I know) . In my experience they just encourage clients to trade with money they dont have.... causing grief all round... i would have to start employing credit officers...talking to debt collectors etc.... it is still a boast of ours that we have yet to have a single bad debt or have to make any margins calls (except where requested by clients), due in the main to the stop policy but also due to the fact that clients must have the money up front which tends to concentrate the mind somewhat. If you trade with 'credit' there is (amongst a significant number of clients) the tendency to think of it as 'free money', which often leads to dismay when the bill comes in.

Looking at D4F.. yes i see they are offering quarterlies now ..I am not sure about the details on their bets but if they are on the same basis as ours we will be looking at our spreads in these markets to bring them into line..(if possible). and put a bit more of a squeeze on IG City and Cantors etc

Rolling Bets

we have now completed our rolling bet project and are pushing them out over the next few weeks.

We will be offering Shares / FX and indices for rolling bets Spreads will be v competitive (hopefully)

examples €/$ 3 pips ...FTSE 2 points ... dow 5 points.....

rolling bets work along the lines of ..if you are long we charge a interest rate cost and if you are short we pay an interest rate fee .this is roughly the way it works (although with some cross-currencies it works the other way round).

Each bet has a real market value (i.e a £10 bet in a UK share is the equivalent of buying 1000 shares) so we charge a daily interest rate on the value of those 1000 shares. (or if you are short we pay an interest amount). So if you bought a £10 in Glaxo Smith Kline at 1200 it would be the equivalent of buying 1000 shares at £12.00 a share (or £12,000) we charge an interest rate amount for borrowing this amount to buy the shares (make the bet) this charge is made for every day that the position remains open overnight.

If you want further info just give us a call or look on our web site for long winded version.

Good luck

Simon

i Have some question about new rolling daily S&P cash.

1, it is like to stake 10 on daily S&P future but margin required will the same 20 when i stake 1 on the new one ?
2, underlying asset will be S&P cash index ?
3, when will be aviable ?

thanks

The 'New' rolling daily S&P will be ten times bigger than the old one , so clients will be betting on the decimal place rather than the big figure. So if you are used to betting in £10 on our S&P index you should now bet in £1 when the new contract is released.

It will be based upon the S&P Cash , but will never actual expire as it is a never ending rolling instrument.

We are just testing with the shares and currencies first .. they should be released later this week. You will still be able to trade the Daily S&P Future but we will not allow rolls and this bet size will be (as with the rolling bet) ten times the current size . ( as will our quarterly bets on the S&P) . This change in size is only affecting the S&P and no other market.

So £1 bet in the new rolling S&P would be a bet on 1164.5 or a market equivalent position of £11,645.

Simon

capitalspreads said:
LevII

Good luck
Simon

The D4Free quote was 864.00 - 865.25 yours was 861.30 - 867.80.

Unless I misunderstand, your spread is 6.5 the D4F spread is 1.25. If my maths is correct your spread is about 5 times that of D4F.

If I am correct I simply wonder how you justify your charges AND pay no interest on deposits AND claim to have 'tight' spreads and say this is a positive feature.

If I'm wrong I will open an account.

Good luck.

LII

LII

well ... as I have said... I will look at D4F spreads on qtly bets and at the terms that these are made on... without that info it is a bit difficult. If you want interest on your money put it in a bank...

D4F will pay you if you have over 10K and then only base rate (libor) minus 2%. but on your leaveraged position they charge base rate plus or minus 3%. We charge plus or minus 2%. So if you are using full leverage on your account (generally 10 times) D4F will be charging you (Net) 7 3/4 % more than us (interest on account [ 2.75% -10% (3x10 -2x10) ] that is if you do get interest of course .
If you are not using the money move it to your high interest bank account.

D4F make more money than all the other SB companies put together (just about) how do you think they do this ? the charges are hidden within the rolling cost. Most clients never see them and just focus on the spread price.

As I have said we will look at the spreads on qtly prices (our Rolling Daily spreads are (pretty much) the same as D4F).

We are very good value against all the other SB companies and comparable with D4F in most markets. And better in some. We continue to pick up large numbers of D4F clients.... there must be some reason for it.

Much as I hate cliches... at the end of the day ...the vast majority of our clients are happy with our service and our prices..whereas D4F seem to generate no end of bad press. I do wonder LII, if you dont have an account with us, why you seem to spend so much time commenting on something that you dont use.

byebye
Simon

this is for simon of capital spreads......

i use your company to trade index futures.......i like the site but there is one howling omission in the order book....that is i cant fix my stop at the time i place an order.....i should be able to override the computer generated stop loss......at the moment i have to keep looking back on the site to see if one or more of my orders have triggered so that i can replace the huge stop loss the system attaches to it/them......

this is a major weakness in the software......i can just see one of my orders being triggered one day and ten seconds later some catastrophe causes a sharp movement against me, taking out a stop loss i didnt create.......

is there any chance this problem can be attended to soon?

this is being built at the moment.

it should be available err... 'soon'

of course 'soon' in my dictionary seems to mean something different to IT developers !
I dont think a single SB company actually offers this yet so I am afraid that I cant point you in another direction. But no doubt if one does, a commentator on this thread will tell you.

Simon

Stops

i think tradeindex does but i dont want the hassle of transferring my account there....ive got used to the cs site which is easy to navigate and i can leave the browser minimised to keep tabs on my positions......

i think your IT people should be told the stop problem should be high on their list of priorities......maybe if one of them lost a packet it would be:)......

QUOTE=capitalspreads]this is being built at the moment.

it should be available err... 'soon'

of course 'soon' in my dictionary seems to mean something different to IT developers !
I dont think a single SB company actually offers this yet so I am afraid that I cant point you in another direction. But no doubt if one does, a commentator on this thread will tell you.

Simon[/QUOTE]

Bertie

Why dont you amend the stop loss placed by C S immediately after your trade has been accepted - I do!!

John

Simon

I much prefer your software and Customer Service to CMC, though your spreads are not competitive on the products I trade:

Euro / USD

Cable

Euro / Yen

I am sure that if you narrowed your spreads you would gain mainy more CMC clients.

If your spreads equalled CMC, I would only trade with you.

hagado

in our rolling daily fx area we quote €/$ and £/$ on three pips (which is the same as CMC ) €/yen on 4 (not sure about CMC spread there.... and we charge less (1% less) for the rolling costs !!

So... come on down

Simon

to get to the rolling bets just click on FX and then use the drop down box.

capitalspreads

have tried to access your rolling daily fx - all I get is daily prices $/£ at 5 point spread