Best Thread Capital Spreads

Not another cry-baby here, but CS's platform is - in my experience - far too unreliable to be used for serious trading, however I realise that many of the more experienced traders here are well aware of this aspect! In recent weeks I've been 'learning' the fx markets; by that I mean trading in a very small way (£1 a pip), however once I'd gotten myself about 250ish pips in profit, I began to experience platform issues similar to those raised previously on this thread. To be fair to CS's customer service team I did receive a quick, detailed response to my complaint letter, although this all boiled down to a conclusion suggesting my own failings as opposed to those I actually experienced... After all, it IS their market that you're trading and this does leave you rather open to the occasional exaggerated price move / stop-being-hit-when-the-real-market-didn't - but "c'est la vie!" This is to be expected, I now realise.

Anyways... I withdrew my remaining balance (peanuts) and am looking to obtain direct access shortly, which will enable me to employ a rigid order system, hopefully without the fragility of CS's trading platform, which I am certain would result in consistent long-term losses if trading in 'decent size'. A splendid business model, on the other hand!

Not another cry-baby here, but CS's platform is - in my experience - far too unreliable to be used for serious trading, however I realise that many of the more experienced traders here are well aware of this aspect! In recent weeks I've been 'learning' the fx markets; by that I mean trading in a very small way (£1 a pip), however once I'd gotten myself about 250ish pips in profit, I began to experience platform issues similar to those raised previously on this thread. To be fair to CS's customer service team I did receive a quick, detailed response to my complaint letter, although this all boiled down to a conclusion suggesting my own failings as opposed to those I actually experienced... After all, it IS their market that you're trading and this does leave you rather open to the occasional exaggerated price move / stop-being-hit-when-the-real-market-didn't - but "c'est la vie!" This is to be expected, I now realise.

Anyways... I withdrew my remaining balance (peanuts) and am looking to obtain direct access shortly, which will enable me to employ a rigid order system, hopefully without the fragility of CS's trading platform, which I am certain would result in consistent long-term losses if trading in 'decent size'. A splendid business model, on the other hand!
I think DMA is to be preferred, if one can cope with higher stakes. I am trading the FTSE and the stake is too high for me while trading the future. After trading 3 years with CS I cannot say that stop loss hunting have been a problem. Trade rejections on the other hand this last month has been a real problem.

gle101

What are your reasons for trading with CS as opposed to other SB companies , such as IG, CMC, ODL etc ?

Is it because they have the smallest spreads ?

Hello
is there a problem with CS? they are rejecting all my orders. and the price is different compared to the market ( i mean 15 point difference!!)

Hello
is there a problem with CS? they are rejecting all my orders. and the price is different compared to the market ( i mean 15 point difference!!)

No, it is your fault.

Clear your cache and all will be well with the world.

Seriously though, just read the last few pages of this thread.

gle101

What are your reasons for trading with CS as opposed to other SB companies , such as IG, CMC, ODL etc ?

Is it because they have the smallest spreads ?
Yes, when I am a trading the FTSE. But I am restrictive in my trading with CS when there is a problem, like recently the trade rejections. Waiting for them to come around, they usually do.

No, it is your fault.

Clear your cache and all will be well with the world.

Seriously though, just read the last few pages of this thread.

Hello mate,
You are a star! it is working fine now. I just cleared the cache.
Good job. Did you have a good day today?

take care

You are a star! it is working fine now. I just cleared the cache.

F**k me, CS are right.

I reckon they must use a piece of software that f**ks with your cache. :LOL:(y)

Had a good day indeed.

I start and finish early.

Still here cos I am making money on another non-trading venture that I am involved in.

:smart:

Hello

Fast T,

When I pointed out the vast price difference between other SB Firms and the CS price I was told to ignore the "market" price as their price was valid :LOL:

Whilst on the phone with one of the CS customer support team, I was told their price was good to go and I could trade it, this was confirmed by the dealers ! I even went as far as reading my FTSE offer price and comparing it with theirs and it was BANG ON so no problem at my end.

I clicked to trade the price as I was told I could and guess what.

TRADE REJECTED. I clicked again. TRADE REJECTED and again TRADE REJECTED.

I will repeat that I don't mind the odd trade reject, I'll accept that. But how can you have a price that is clearly wrong and have a doughnut on the end of a telephone telling you the price is clearly right ! When you trade it, you're right and the price is wrong. But they won't accept it !

I respect Simon for coming on here, and I know that when they work well they're a good firm. But instead of holding up their hands and saying, we've got issues with this we're working on getting it fixed should be sorted in a day, or the platform is Fcuked or our FTSE feed isn't correct they make excuse after excuse.

I would rather phone, and someone says, yes we've got this problem bear with us we're working on it sorry for the inconvenience. I would actually say, fair enough. But it isn't like that, when theres a problem ITS NEVER AT THE CAPITAL SPREADS END !

I couldnt close a position on xtrata today, usual problem of late, trade rejected.
Phoned CS to close.

I had an encouraging response from the dealer, he asked me to do a couple of test trades on the FTSE rolling daily, the price on the deal ticket was 12 pts higher than the market and the trade was rejected on both trades.

The bid price on the chart matched the market price and therefore 12 pts lower than the deal ticket. He seemed to be genuinely surprised by this, and said it must be a fault with the server and he would change the server, it would take a few minutes to sort out.

The FTSE price on the browser interface was still showing now 15 pts higher than the market, but lo and behold came back to match the market a few minutes later.

Maybe a small breakthrough in the fact they are finally willing to admit the problems are indeed at THEIR END. A fact we have known all along.

Gotta say, in 3 years of trading with Capital, I have never had any of the above problems. Maybe thats because I'm not a cheap scalper trying to spreadbet..

This thread seems to have tured into a party for the cry babies. I for one applaud Simon. This is the only place I know where you can put a question to a director/ceo of such a firm and get an honest, human answer. Try talking to the head of CMC, IG or CIty Index about your issues and see if you get a response.!

I have been with cs since it started. It is still the same issues. You wait till they get you. I can assure you. What do you mean by cheap scalper!! That is the term used when you are making more money than losing and you are costing the trading companies.

I don't hear that term being used for real stock trading! I have been trading stock for years with non of this nonesense. You try making money and watch them frustrate you!!.

Watch them reject your trade wait for it to come back and execute your stop. Cry baby! You speak for yourself. When people complain there is reason for it. I don't complain much but does not mean the problem does not exist.

I couldnt close a position on xtrata today, usual problem of late, trade rejected.
Phoned CS to close.

I had an encouraging response from the dealer, he asked me to do a couple of test trades on the FTSE rolling daily, the price on the deal ticket was 12 pts higher than the market and the trade was rejected on both trades.

The bid price on the chart matched the market price and therefore 12 pts lower than the deal ticket. He seemed to be genuinely surprised by this, and said it must be a fault with the server and he would change the server, it would take a few minutes to sort out.

The FTSE price on the browser interface was still showing now 15 pts higher than the market, but lo and behold came back to match the market a few minutes later.

Maybe a small breakthrough in the fact they are finally willing to admit the problems are indeed at THEIR END. A fact we have known all along.

Ridiculous situation. And has anyone else pointed out that CS's spreads aren't narrower than the rest nowadays?

I have been with cs since it started. It is still the same issues. You wait till they get you. I can assure you. What do you mean by cheap scalper!! That is the term used when you are making more money than losing and you are costing the trading companies.

I don't hear that term being used for real stock trading! I have been trading stock for years with non of this nonesense. You try making money and watch them frustrate you!!.

Watch them reject your trade wait for it to come back and execute your stop. Cry baby! You speak for yourself. When people complain there is reason for it. I don't complain much but does not mean the problem does not exist.

what??? I cant really understand what your saying there.. All i can tell you is I dont really have these problems. Yes I have had trades rejected, but they always get accepted moments later, be it online or on the phone. And the way I trade means that a few points missed is not a huge problem. I can only see this to be a problem if I was scalping large and very short term positions to take a small number of points. But I can't understand why anyone who trades that way would use spreadbetting in the first place...?

Last edited:
Phoned CS to close.

Minch,

I think it's false hope. I called CS on the afternoon that their system totally gave up the ghost. I spoke to a girl then who agreed with me that the price was wrong. I believe they re set the server and it was running smoothly again.

I though result, it appears they're on the ball and realise there's a problem. Then I had the debacle of a few days back.

I am getting a lot of 'Trade Rejected' messages lately from Capital Spreads. It never used to be like that.