Best Thread Capital Spreads

I think I tend to see it in the same way I do a favourite restaurant. If I dine their regularly for 5 years, and it was a good experience, then I keep going back.

After 1 or 2 bad meals, I would start to worry, but put it down to a change in chef, or renovations in the kitchen. I would make my complaints known and then monitor the situation - keen for my old dining haunt to recover to previous standards.

After trying it a few more times, if the experience has still not improved, I would assume that the restaurant had decided to take a different route. I would then start to seek elsewhere.

I think CS have reached that final stage for me. But I'm still trying out alternate retaurants to see if they are actually any better, but in the mean time I am dining out less at my old favourite and asking others for opinions.

Cheers,
Dave
I really liked this post, ha ha!

I thought Worldspreads were supposed to be direct access?

Hi Ian,

Direct Access or not, my point and LAPTOP's follow up was about the robustness of the platform when closing a trade. There are some terrible DA platforms out there, and DA is harder to get out of a trade where you want to, BUT at least you usually know whether you are in or not, and filled or not. Whether you like the price you get is a different matter! :)

Bye for now,
Dave

I thought Worldspreads were supposed to be direct access?
None of the SB's have direct access (besides futuresbetting.com). However, Worldspreads quotes on some products on futures follow the real market to the point. A good company to trade with if it wasn't for the referral to a dealer problem.

what are the odds on CS going down today during the Fed rate blurb? :)

I would estimate a 95% chance. I would expect a 100% chance.

I also don't think I should expect them to be operational. Have a look at a Direct Access platform during the event and check out the spreads. CS offer a fixed spread, so to operate 100% fluid in that environment would leave them wide open and unable to offset the trades on its books with the underlying markets.

I have a long term trade running with them, the stops are miles away, so I will be keeping that trade on during the news. I won't be looking to get filled on a market order that's for sure!

Cheers,
Dave

I would estimate a 95% chance. I would expect a 100% chance.
I just opened an account with Capital Spreads and traded over the fed cut today (yes... I know that it's a bad idea but I wanted to see how their systems would cope). I bought at £1 a point and sold immediately after the 50 bps cut earning +84 points. However it took approx 40 seconds to confirm my trade!!! :( Also, the system froze just after the confirmation. The entire page failed to react until a good few minutes afterwards. Not a system that I will be using in a fast market...

I just opened an account with Capital Spreads and traded over the fed cut today (yes... I know that it's a bad idea but I wanted to see how their systems would cope). I bought at £1 a point and sold immediately after the 50 bps cut earning +84 points. However it took approx 40 seconds to confirm my trade!!! :( Also, the system froze just after the confirmation. The entire page failed to react until a good few minutes afterwards. Not a system that I will be using in a fast market...

Hi Richie.

At £1 a point as a new customer, you don't have as big an issue. At £10 per point you wouldn't have had a chance.

But yes, I agree that any trading requiring a "quick in and out" would be a problem.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Richie.

At £1 a point as a new customer, you don't have as big an issue. At £10 per point you wouldn't have had a chance.

But yes, I agree that any trading requiring a "quick in and out" would be a problem.

Cheers,
Dave
Honestly, with a stake of £10, is anybody really considering trading indices with a SB during important news releases? I wouldn't take the risk of ending up in an uncontrollable situation. It might work most of the time but sooner or later one is taken for a ugly ride, a ride that can cost you your shirt.

Honestly, with a stake of £10, is anybody really considering trading indices with a SB during important news releases? I wouldn't take the risk of ending up in an uncontrollable situation. It might work most of the time but sooner or later one is taken for a ugly ride, a ride that can cost you your shirt.

You want to be all balanced and fair about SB companies but at the same time you think you will eventually lose your shirt trading £10/pip. That is too funny for words.

You want to be all balanced and fair about SB companies but at the same time you think you will eventually lose your shirt trading £10/pip. That is too funny for words.
There is probably a communication gap between you and my posts, ha ha! I think you have to take into consideration in that people are allowed to have different viewpoints on a forum like this.

I honestly do not see what is funny about my post about losing my shirt when taking a position with £10 during news releases, especially when the market is volatile and you have a delayed execution. Could you please explain?

Well, maybe not. I think GLE's point was the same as mine. In other words, the SB companies treat you differently depending on the size of your trade. Therefore, if, as a hobby, you want to trade a couple of pounds a point then there isn't a major problem.

It seems that the consensus on here is that around 10 pounds a point you start to get referred to a dealer who can slow the process down, thus making quick ins and outs not very likely to occur.

Hence, it is fine to say that SB companies can be a useful tool in the armoury, and also fair to say you can lose your shirt with them at larger amounts. And for what its worth I agree with him.

Hope you're having a good trading day today....

Cheers,
Dave

You are telling me you can lose 'your shirt' at £10/pip because of CS and still trade with them? :cheesy: News or no news, that is the most absurd thing in long time.

You are telling me you can lose 'your shirt' at £10/pip because of CS and still trade with them? :cheesy: News or no news, that is the most absurd thing in long time.

I'm obviously failing to explain something properly enough here, my apologies.

What I said is that at £10 per pip it is not, in my belief, possible to make money trading QUICK IN AND OUTS with Capital Spreads during news volatility like the Fed.

You added the "news or no news" proviso.

It is quite possible to make money with CS trading at £10 per pip (and more) outside of such times. If you are taking trades with long lifespans, then a couple of pips slipped on entry or exit are statistically insignificant to one's account.

CS are one of many tools. The trades I take based on fundamental discrepencies between actual and expected economic news are not with CS, as they are not the tool for that job.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
Don't go anywhere near CS - they are fast becoming a pile of s*** now. Far cry from the highs of last 2/3 years!