Best Thread Capital Spreads

LOL, I will scalp until you ban me. Can you define scalping for us?
capitalspreads said:
jbat

at the moment we use a cross calculation method for our FX platfrom ...unfortunately this means that if one FX feed gives a 'blip' this gets propegated around the platform.

We are looking to change feeds creations for skandi markets

fxscalper

your 'nom de guerre' is not one to add joy to my heart ! we will be adding AUD/JPY soon. not sure what spread my dealers want to put on it though.

Simon

fxscalper

define scalping... difficult, because it generally means different things depending on what you are doing.. for SB companies it generally refers to a trader who attempts to trade on lagged prices (and only lagged prices) using a bank fx feed as his 'base market'. Nowadays it is much more difficult to do but by no means impossible. The presence of 'scalpers' is the main reason that most SB companies will not go fully automatic and are prone to default to 'trader confirmation' in times of stress.

the word scalper should not be confused with 'arber' who generally take positions in two similar or 'fungable' markets in the expectation of reversing both trades at a net profit in the future. Arbing (in the good old days) was very profitable in the FX markets where the cross currencie calculations often created incorrect prices ..(i.e the USD/CHF would move and the EUR/USD would move but the actual EUR/CHF may not have moved to reflect the multiple of the two).. of course now computers have removed many potential 'arb' possibilities.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Will be looking for the addition of AUDJPY.
capitalspreads said:
fxscalper

define scalping... difficult, because it generally means different things depending on what you are doing.. for SB companies it generally refers to a trader who attempts to trade on lagged prices (and only lagged prices) using a bank fx feed as his 'base market'. Nowadays it is much more difficult to do but by no means impossible. The presence of 'scalpers' is the main reason that most SB companies will not go fully automatic and are prone to default to 'trader confirmation' in times of stress.

the word scalper should not be confused with 'arber' who generally take positions in two similar or 'fungable' markets in the expectation of reversing both trades at a net profit in the future. Arbing (in the good old days) was very profitable in the FX markets where the cross currencie calculations often created incorrect prices ..(i.e the USD/CHF would move and the EUR/USD would move but the actual EUR/CHF may not have moved to reflect the multiple of the two).. of course now computers have removed many potential 'arb' possibilities.

Simon

WARNING TO CAPITAL SPREAD USERS

If you have two open trades on the same instrument in the same direction eg two shorts on the ftse rolling daily, you will have to close the trade that was taken first before you can close the second trade. You are not permitted to close the second trade before the first.

This is not currently stated in the online User Manual.

In addition the second trade is not shown separately on your 'open trades'. Both trades are combined and shown as an average.......... somewhat confusing.

You have been warned!

Regards

bracke

If you record your trades in Excel then it doesnt really matter if CS show an average, your records will record the true goings-on in the account.

brake et al

the common term is "first in first out" and is the normal market practice, especially if you trade in the futures markets.. the exchange will close your trades in order of opening when you trade out. Some SB's allow you to pick and choose but this is not actually normal and, I believe, is unique to the SB world.

If you look in your 'open positions' you will see a couple of 'icons' after the 'open p/l' . The second of these icons will, when clicked, give a breakdown of the individual positions making up your total open positions in that contract. Showing the P/L of each individual opening bet. The bets are recorded in order from the most recent down to the first.

In reality it makes no difference at all to your overall trading which positions are closed you will still have the same net p/l. For some reason clients always want to take the profitable bets and leave the losers (from an amalgamated position) .. in my humble opinion a very bad trading strategy.

Simon

Simon,

I was watching your fx prices this morning. I had yours, CMC's and various banks on my screens. Where do you get your feeds? It is way too slow. I don't believe you can't get better feeds than that. CMC's was pretty spot on, by the way. It is impressive actually how they mirror the realy market (plus spreads, of course).

fxscalper

you must open a trade ticket to get the streaming prices...just looking at the trading screen will not give you the quote in the ticket.

I can assure you that our live feeds are pretty good , over data releases we tend to struggle but then so does everybody ...if we were consistently delayed on prices we would be 'scalped' all day long

Simon

Oh, I see. That is good to know. Been looking at the tickets and I think you are right.
capitalspreads said:
fxscalper

you must open a trade ticket to get the streaming prices...just looking at the trading screen will not give you the quote in the ticket.

I can assure you that our live feeds are pretty good , over data releases we tend to struggle but then so does everybody ...if we were consistently delayed on prices we would be 'scalped' all day long

Simon

capitalspreads said:
fxscalper

Simon

then why am I getting rejected trades? even though the price is at that level. There is a long delay and then my order is rejected

...i don't live trade with CS, but looking at a few SB options. Their GBP/USD rolling daily printed a huge spike (100+ pips) around Mishkin's speech, were you referring to this Karmit?

don't what triggered it - but there were two spikes... looks more like a data blip rather than anything else..
or was it?

Unfortunately not :) ... the spikes were in my favour (very extraordinary!)... I'm long GBP at the moment

karmit said:
Getting horrible spikes on CS today!

Tell me about it! It's hapened again!

Attachments

• USDSEK101006.JPG
    USDSEK101006.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 210
Problem solved (much obliged to you) on the charts.

I see the spread on USD/SEK has been quietly doubled from 30 pips to 60 pips though! :rolleyes:

capitalspreads said:
jbat

not sure where you are seeing 60 pips ... we are still at 30

Simon

I can't tell you at what point it became 60 pips, because I didn't notice it change, but I traded this particular market yesterday (closing out at around 7pm), and the spread was 60 pips wide, I promise you. All I can say with certainty is that this was the case for most of yesterday afternoon, though it may have been longer, as I can't be certain.

To give CS its dues, I have just logged back in and it shows 30 pips, as you say. I also appreciate the fact that in the past this market operated on a 40 pip spread, and you've narrowed it to 30, which is to your credit. Your T&C does allow you to vary the spreads as you choose, but your contact is enormously appreciated, as I'm sure I've mentioned previously.

jbat

It looks like you may have been right ... the dealers admitted that on changing the feed yesterday because of the feed drop out problem they failed to notice that the new feed had a 60 pip spread. You and one other were the only accounts to trade in the SEK yesterday (popular currency) so if you give us a ring /drop us an e-mail we will correct your account to the tune of 30 pips on your stake.

simon