Can You Really Profit From Spreadbetting

MICKY

Hi all
just a quick question,there seems to be lots of debate on this site as to weather or not you can really profit from spreadbetting ,but to date no clear answer.
i just wanted to know if any one can clarify this for me.
Many thanks.
mike

I think it depends a lot on how you trade with spreadbetting. It is very hard to day trade stocks unless you are very lucky or very good.

If you take a slightly longer term view then decent money can be made.

If you do what most people do and see spreadbetting as a way to make a lot of money very quickly, then you will probably lose. It is a valuable tax free trading tool, that if used with care can be profitable.

Just my view, not necessarily right. :D

I am making money since I stopped SB day trading. Now swing trade indices, only with main trend direction, always exit early.

Micky,

You can make money but it is very hard.
You need many months or even years of experience
(months if you can find a good teacher, years if you cant)

However you also need a passion for trading you have to love
doing it otherwise you wont be able get over the months and
months of losing money that nearly every trader goes through.
If you dont have that passion and love for the game you will
just end up quitting after losing X thousands.

Last edited:
It really depends on how you want to trade if you are looking to trade intraday and scalp 10 points or so per trade then direct market is better. If you intend to take a position over a few days and look for larger moves then the spread is less likely to be a problem.
I have found the latter technique to be profitable with SBs but I can not stress the following enough

I appologise if you have heard the following.
Its important to have a trading strategy and stick to it, nobody says you have to trade every day, learn how the market you intend to trade moves, learn support and resistance levels.

Hi Micky,

I think the advice is spot on because day trading through financial bookmakers is a very tough job. The spread makes profiting pretty tough if you want to keep risk controls in check.

By taking a longer term view, the spread becomes largely irrelevent. Having a 12 pip currency spread when you are hoping to make several hundred pips shouldn't lose you too much sleep.

Trading like this can give you a profitable hobby or a means of making money whilst you do some other important things.

All the best

AT

The above views on SB bear out my experience, limited though it is.
A two or three day view seems to work best for me. Whenever I deliberately try to day trade I either lose money or escape by the skin of my teeth. :confused:

"I appologise if you have heard the following.
Its important to have a trading strategy and stick to it, nobody says you have to trade every day, learn how the market you intend to trade moves, learn support and resistance levels".

spot on DC2000........

aussietrader said:

The spread makes profiting pretty tough if you want to keep risk controls in check.

By taking a longer term view, the spread becomes largely irrelevant.
AT

I agree.Short term trading can be a problem but the longer the trade is held for the less the spread matters.

You can definitely make money with spreadbetting but I have only been able to do it over the longer term.

I am still working on a way of doing it intraday to speed up my profits but no real joy so far.

Forex might zip it along rglenn....... :cheesy: :cool:

(might just stick me umbrella up at this point :rolleyes: )

rglenn,

I have been having a good run daytrading the 4pip daily spread from Fins - until they stopped the internet trade. Some good mini trends - worth a look if you know some basic t/a and can afford the loss (who can !!!)

Cheers

AT

aussietrader

no wonder they stopped the online trading as they do not like it when traders are consistently winning.

They always seem to move the goal posts when people are winning!

Hope you find another way around it.

hardly enought o break the fins bank but for a couple of weeks I managed to grab some good gains - small points but larger bets for me.

Still nice of fins to fund some shoes, a dress (for mrs trader) and a few lagers for me next month in lovely Europe.

Now if only the dow would crash, USD crash and silver have a massive rally I could host my own T2W party at the ritz!!

- Mrs Trader wants afternoon tea at the ritz - 68 quid - flippin heck - small change for you blokes but that's a mortgage payment downunder ;)

For 2 years I struggled trading the DOW, then managed 50% profit last year from US stocks this year though I have managed 100% already, why? because I now go for the big moves in Forex. I still lose more often than I win but when I do win the risk/reward is greater than 1/4