Camarilla Equation + Calculator

define "working"? two days is hardly a definitive sample to say a particular method "works"

"Working" means I've been following the numbers on about ten stocks, and trading some of the moves through the 3 and 4 levels, both up and down, and these trades have been mostly profitable. I'm using the levels generated by the "original" equation. For example, I traded nsm (got in right before the stock was halted!), amln, atyt (move up through L3), successfully and watched aapl (missed a great short in aapl, as it fell through L4). My trading partner has been following for over three days, taking trades for two days, and has had the same experience. I would like to compare the original equation with the "B" equation, and so I'm trying to find the equations to see how they're different. Can you help me? Thanks, Ilene

Scam Alert

ileneca said:
I've used it for two day now, and it's working.

Don' spend $99 or whatever :

******** - get the "formula" free from here:http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26130&highlight=camarilla

Plus _ don't wase your cash buying into the Camarilla scam. Read these posts and keep your dosh in your pocket:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/searc...d=804428&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

TWALKER is correct when he said:

Why do you not just mail the formula to this board and save yourself a lot of trouble?

I would be interested as as far as I am concerned these Camarilla Equations are a load of b*ll*cks.

Neil, thanks for the link. I'm not spending $99 a week, but I don't think the Camarilla equation is a scam. I've been comparing the results of the B equation to the original equation, and I like the numbers generated by the original equation better. The break out points are similar. The original equations give numbers for trading within the range (both give break outs, which are essentially a little higher and lower then the previous range, from my limited examination of it). I'm intending to trade using the original equation next week and see how it does. Do you trade stocks, using any particular system? - Ilene

Systems - no

ileneca said:
Neil, thanks for the link. I'm not spending $99 a week, but I don't think the Camarilla equation is a scam. I've been comparing the results of the B equation to the original equation, and I like the numbers generated by the original equation better. The break out points are similar. The original equations give numbers for trading within the range (both give break outs, which are essentially a little higher and lower then the previous range, from my limited examination of it). I'm intending to trade using the original equation next week and see how it does. Do you trade stocks, using any particular system? - Ilene

Hi.
I don't use systems. Price action and a moving average for my old eyes to focus on are all I use. It is quite normal for new traders to go through a search for indicators, grails, systems etc before returning to the KISS principle. Indicators are used by some people but that is a personal choice. Price action, for me, is King, along with close companions Support and Resistance.
You have a USA board over there: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/

As on here, be selective with your reading.
Good luck ;)

but there is no magic formula to camarilla - its just a mathematical calculation to produce pivot points from the previous days OHLC.

A friend of mine put the formula into tradestation and made an indicator that plotted the levels back over price action for as many days back as you wanted to view.

The cam levels are no better than standard pivot points - if you eyeball intraday price action in relation to the cam levels, they are no better than random at providing support or resistance levels. If anything, cam levels are WORSE than the floor pivot points calculation - simply because more people use floor pivots rather than cam pivots. And IMO floor pivots are no better than random at providing relaibl S&R either.

The only reliable way to see genuine support and resistance is through VOLUME traded at price levels - then you can actually see what prices and values are causing traders to execute their trades, rather than looking at a calculated line that doesnt necessarily mean anything to anyone.

Hi Neil,

I have been actively trading for about a year and a half. I was looking for a system that would work well in weak markets, as my other trading strategies are much better in strong markets. The moving average technique didn't work well for me, but I only tried it for a day or two. It's too hard for me to pay such close attention to charts. What's the KISS principle?

Thanks! Ilene

Arbitrageur said:
but there is no magic formula to camarilla - its just a mathematical calculation to produce pivot points from the previous days OHLC.

Yes, I know it's not magic. I was guessing that it indicates where other people will get in and out, and thereby move the price in contemplated direction.

The cam levels are no better than standard pivot points - if you eyeball intraday price action in relation to the cam levels, they are no better than random at providing support or resistance levels. If anything, cam levels are WORSE than the floor pivot points calculation - simply because more people use floor pivots rather than cam pivots. And IMO floor pivots are no better than random at providing relaibl S&R either.

I can look at Floor pivots too and compare them. I like the principle of using price rather than charts for entering trades. It is easier for me. Where would I find "floor pivots"?

The only reliable way to see genuine support and resistance is through VOLUME traded at price levels - then you can actually see what prices and values are causing traders to execute their trades, rather than looking at a calculated line that doesnt necessarily mean anything to anyone.

I'll compare the charts with the pivot numbers also. Thanks for giving me these ideas. I've found that certain techniques work better than others for me, and this may change over time. I am always looking for ways to improve my trading results.

KISS principle

ileneca said:
Hi Neil,

I have been actively trading for about a year and a half. I was looking for a system that would work well in weak markets, as my other trading strategies are much better in strong markets. The moving average technique didn't work well for me, but I only tried it for a day or two. It's too hard for me to pay such close attention to charts. What's the KISS principle?

Thanks! Ilene

Keep it simple ;)

The only moving averages you should use are 2 x Exponential set at 8 and 34 respectively which are Fibonacci numbers. Try setting a Parabolic SAR at 34 too. You will get good results. If you need a C CI set it at 6.

Regards Phil

neil said:
Keep it simple ;)

Hi philhackett

I was always under the impression that moving averages had a low success rate, around 30%
success rate ? Do you find EMA(8) and EMA(34) much more reliable ? Do you just Buy and Sell on the crossovers using these EMAs?

Also what timeframe would you suggest e.g. 5 minutes ?

Thanks

Yep. The link is http://harrytrader.membres.jexiste.org/market/home.html.html

I will send you the password if you send me your e-mail address. I know that it is a subscribers site but he gives the password out without charge at the moment to those who had joined before May this year. To illustrate the point about accuracy, i have just checked his calculations and you would have expected a reversal in the dow at 9313.9. By my calculation it was 9318. As I was out by a few points i missed the large sell of on the dow but i didn't go long at the open thanks to the formula! The formula gives you an idea on where to place a stoploss as well and today, if you went long, (which i didnt cos i kind of understand the dynamics of the DOW as a market--- always important to know your market!) i would have been stopped out for a 25 point loss. Might sound a lot but the certainty makes it something i dont mind stomaching!

My e mail adddress is [email protected], thank you sincerely::D

weekly Cams work just fine.......

Attachments

• ES.jpg
    ES.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 426
  • es_ii.jpg
    es_ii.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 429
  • es_iii.jpg
    es_iii.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 448
  • ftse pp.jpg
    ftse pp.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 320
  • numbers game.jpg
    numbers game.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 420
and in conjunction with Traditional FTP S2 as outer boundary .............

Attachments

• SP500_thurs.jpg
    SP500_thurs.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 285
  • SP500crash200510.jpg
    SP500crash200510.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 376
  • SP500crash200510ii.jpg
    SP500crash200510ii.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 251
  • SP500crash200510iii.jpg
    SP500crash200510iii.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 288
Go to mypivots.com they publish daily and weekly levels and they have a calculator on the site as well