Best Thread Bund Bobl and Schatz Thread

Ok guys i'm going to try to simulate a typical trade of mine during the day.

First I usually have the orderbooks up for bund, bobl and schatz up along with a 15 min chart of the schatz.

Next I'm looking for big bids/offers on the schatz book. The bids/offers that usually are the most honest are the ones that are farther out in the book (not the first 2 best bids and offers usually but not always). Also if there is a bid/offer at roughly the same level on one of the other contracts (bund or bobl) that is usually a good indication of an honest bid/offer. So say there is a nice size offer of 2000 contracts at the 8th best offer on the orderbook. Immediently I check out my 15 min chart and look to see if that is some sort of resistance level, if it is great if its not I still will lean on that size. I also check out the bund and bobl orderbooks and see if they have big size on the offer at roughly the same level in the orderbook.

Now I watch the market extremely close. If we are trading closer to that size is the offer getting bigger or is it getting weaker? If it is getting stronger I will sit tight and maybe add positions, if it gets substantially weaker then I remove my offer.

So say my order is still in place and I get filled. I will exit the market if we can break through that big order I leaned on so my risk is very little while at the same time im aiming for about 3-4 ticks so its a very good risk/reward setup.

A whole lot more goes into my decision making than that but at its most basic form that is what I am doing. Read over and over those posts I made about orderflow and watch the market continously while having no opinion what so ever. Just trade what you see not what you think.

Good Trading Guys

in short figure out what the big guys are doing and follow behind them

been watching the Schatz today... can anybody offer any insight into these 10K + orders that keep appearing?

Algo's or spoofing?

A whole lot more goes into my decision making than that but at its most basic form that is what I am doing. Read over and over those posts I made about orderflow and watch the market continously while having no opinion what so ever. Just trade what you see not what you think.

Good Trading Guys

Fantastic, this opens a whole new world for me.

Every additional hints and help is highly appreciated.

I would like to ask which software/broker you use. Do you use X-Trader?

Myself I'm on the way to open my account with Velocity using Ninjatrader and TT feed.

been watching the Schatz today... can anybody offer any insight into these 10K + orders that keep appearing?

Algo's or spoofing?

Isn't it the same thing (algos and spoofing)?

They might seem like useless spoofs but watch em closely. If they stay there for a little while and somebody even hits a few of them you are best off hitting them also and they are usually good for a few ticks. So you don't want to be leaning on that, you want to be hitting that size if it stays there long enough.

Good Luck

Fantastic, this opens a whole new world for me.

Every additional hints and help is highly appreciated.

I would like to ask which software/broker you use. Do you use X-Trader?

Myself I'm on the way to open my account with Velocity using Ninjatrader and TT feed.

No problem, I am happy to help!

I am actually trading eurex through openecry (I use another broker which is a little more sophisticated for my position trade and other things) but to be honest they are pretty damn good. They have everything you need and the platform is simple to use and the best part is they don't fee you to death! Their platform is free, they don't charge for any charts or quotes, commisions are good if you do enough rts a day.

Something to think about.

Buy 'em,

"you want to be hitting that size". Could you please clarify. Are you saying if there are, eg 10,000 on the bid, you should sell?

Re spoofs on the schatz, in my limited experience the schatz is the last place you'll see spoofs - the size of some trades is actually larger than many of the spoofs seen on the bund or bobl.

Grant.

Buy 'em,

Looked at Openecry - looks a very slick setup. No indication of comm's. Can you give me an idea? Use my pm if more suitable.

Cheers,

Grant.

Buy 'em,

"you want to be hitting that size". Could you please clarify. Are you saying if there are, eg 10,000 on the bid, you should sell?

Re spoofs on the schatz, in my limited experience the schatz is the last place you'll see spoofs - the size of some trades is actually larger than many of the spoofs seen on the bund or bobl.

Grant.

Correct you want to be hitting that size but you need to identify 2 things first. #1 be sure it is more than likely a spoof. #2 make sure it is not just flashing but the order is holding for a while (trying to entice people to lean on it). Just watch the orderbook and see what happens when a big spoof sits around too long :devilish:

Remember if there is a 10,000 lot bid spoofer in the schatz, there is a reason he is spoofing and not just bidding. He doesn't want to actually be long!!! So if he doesn't want to be long he wants to be flat or short (more than likely short otherwise why would you mess around with spoofing and take the risk if you just wanted to **** with people).

Hope that helps

Buy 'em,

Looked at Openecry - looks a very slick setup. No indication of comm's. Can you give me an idea? Use my pm if more suitable.

Cheers,

Grant.

Grantx

Give me an idea of how many contracts you trade. Then I can help you out. My guess is you are probably going to have like $4.50 rt in eurex if you trade a normal amount of contracts. If you scalp to the extreme like me and trade a lot of contracts during the day then they will work with you on the commisions.

as for the hitting the big 10,000s i wouldnt say thats the best idea, the guy next to me did that once to what he thougt he was a spoof, as soon as he did suddenly 15,000s started loading up behind it. I think the best idea is to try to go with it rather than go against it, even if it is a spoof. My personal opinion anyway

yes but sometimes to spoof is there just to "pin" the market, in relation to the other fixed income markets, and when the spoof is pulled, the market moves back in line with the others, hence why they can be good for a move. sometimes.

Its just a case of figuring out what the spoofer is trying to do: Trick or trade.

Obviously easier said than done! Paul Rotter himself said in an interview that if someone wants to get good a trading, they just need to look at the DOM for a very, very long time. He also said to ensure you trade near a toilet. Sound advice!

Last edited:
yes but sometimes to spoof is there just to "pin" the market, in relation to the other fixed income markets, and when the spoof is pulled, the market moves back in line with the others, hence why they can be good for a move. sometimes.

Its just a case of figuring out what the spoofer is trying to do: Trick or trade.

Obviously easier said than done! Paul Rotter himself said in an interview that if someone wants to get good a trading, they just need to look at the DOM for a very, very long time. He also said to ensure you trade near a toilet. Sound advice!

I always trade with rubber pants on just to be safe :D

Do I need charts? What part do they play in the whole setup? (I come from an equities + Forex background where used Price action pretty much alone, and charts were a pre-requisite. I never got involved in L2 scalping).

Perhaps it is my prejudice speaking, but I have always imagined that charts and typical TA do not play an important role in Fixed Income products, all trading is done from the DOM only, and mostly with multi leg spreads - this is a little beyond me just now; I have been trading Schatz outrights.

So, to those with experience, do you use ém? I think I'd find it difficult to go cold turkey, so are they of any use? My guess is that I'd use them to spot S/R, then look for a long/short position and time my entry from the DOM when these are tested; all other times, "lean on size" for a few ticks p/RT. Am i way off mark???

Grant, I think you mentioned using a 2-min chart (this is way below my typical timeframe)... did you find that it added something to your trading? or took away your attention from the DOM?

Buyém; you mentioned patterns off 15min charts (much more up my street); are the skills I've learned from typical PA and patterns in other markets applicable here?

I have been toying with the idea of trying Schatz et al for a while but never got round to STOP trading the rest; It's been 2 days and I am about scratch for both

Do I need charts? What part do they play in the whole setup? (I come from an equities + Forex background where used Price action pretty much alone, and charts were a pre-requisite. I never got involved in L2 scalping).

Perhaps it is my prejudice speaking, but I have always imagined that charts and typical TA do not play an important role in Fixed Income products, all trading is done from the DOM only, and mostly with multi leg spreads - this is a little beyond me just now; I have been trading Schatz outrights.

So, to those with experience, do you use ém? I think I'd find it difficult to go cold turkey, so are they of any use? My guess is that I'd use them to spot S/R, then look for a long/short position and time my entry from the DOM when these are tested; all other times, "lean on size" for a few ticks p/RT. Am i way off mark???

Grant, I think you mentioned using a 2-min chart (this is way below my typical timeframe)... did you find that it added something to your trading? or took away your attention from the DOM?

Buyém; you mentioned patterns off 15min charts (much more up my street); are the skills I've learned from typical PA and patterns in other markets applicable here?

I have been toying with the idea of trying Schatz et al for a while but never got round to STOP trading the rest; It's been 2 days and I am about scratch for both

bugger; pressed the wrong buttonn without saying thanks in advance

evoi, your website looks quite interesting as a concept, but it might be more constructive if you engaged in some dialogue rather than just linking to your site, which you've done in every one of your posts so far.

T2W is not a handy advertising venue, unless you pay for it, and the chat area would not be much of a resource if it was just a forum full of everyones website links, would it?

The idea behind evoi is quite intriguing, but I'd certainly be curious about why a successful trader would want to use a platform like this, and in what circumstances. In the context of trading for a firm, it might be helpful to new grads or trainee's. But for outrights - I'd probably be wary of having a large group of other pro's knowing what I was doing and how much I'd got on in the market and which way round I was.

How is the "consistent traders" rank formed?

Crude, Arbitrageur,

M&S's latest line in ladies' silk underwear is very comfortable (so a friend tells me)

Mr Gecko,

My principal charts (for entry) are 15-tick for the bobl, 25-tick for the bund; 1-minute for the Stoxx. Timing and exit is via the DOM/Time and Sales. 5-min charts are used for short-term trends, sp/rs. 15-min, 60-min and day are also used for sp/rs.