Building a portfolio with open profits

greenscreen

4 0
Hi all.

As per the title I am thinking that a good money management technique is to add positions only once previous ones have open profits behind them.

eg

Buy stock 1 at $100 @ 1% risk. Stop loss at $90

Buy stock 2 ONLY IF stock 1 progresses to $110 ie 1R.

and so on.

To me this works like scaling into an individual stock but instead a basket of stocks are treated as one.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this as a risk management technique? I thought of this after buying 5 different positions together and they all went against me together resulting in a 5% loss of equity!

I've not read about this anywhere but surely it must be used (unless I am missing something)

That's

NVP

Legendary member
36,733 1,871
Your just scaling in.....are you moving the stops on earlier contracts as well ?

greenscreen

4 0
Your just scaling in.....are you moving the stops on earlier contracts as well ?
Yes I am moving stops on earlier positions.

It's just that some build a position in a single stock when it moves into profit.

I'm just asking why this needs to be done when each subsequent position can be taken in a different stock.

Why enter subsequent positions into a maturing trend?

tomorton

Legendary member
7,306 975
Yes I am moving stops on earlier positions.

It's just that some build a position in a single stock when it moves into profit.

I'm just asking why this needs to be done when each subsequent position can be taken in a different stock.

Why enter subsequent positions into a maturing trend?

In a sense you would be gaining diversification of risk by adding positions in alternate stocks. So instead of 10 positions in one stock, you could have 1 position in each of 10. Up to a point, this is better protection against a single stock-specific risk but is no better against an index-wide risk.

greenscreen

4 0
In a sense you would be gaining diversification of risk by adding positions in alternate stocks. So instead of 10 positions in one stock, you could have 1 position in each of 10. Up to a point, this is better protection against a single stock-specific risk but is no better against an index-wide risk.
But also I am thinking the equity curve is less lumpy than scaling into a single stock where one down or up day would effect all positions in a single stock.

I'm a serial equity balance checker so need to find a way to not do this so this is the best I could come up with. Micro positions being added to new stocks as previous ones move into profit.

Kaeso

Established member
836 91
Hi all.

As per the title I am thinking that a good money management technique is to add positions only once previous ones have open profits behind them.

eg

Buy stock 1 at $100 @ 1% risk. Stop loss at $90

Buy stock 2 ONLY IF stock 1 progresses to $110 ie 1R.

and so on.

To me this works like scaling into an individual stock but instead a basket of stocks are treated as one.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this as a risk management technique? I thought of this after buying 5 different positions together and they all went against me together resulting in a 5% loss of equity!

I've not read about this anywhere but surely it must be used (unless I am missing something)

That's
was the 5% loss around the beginning of February by any chance? if not roughly when was it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock