Bubba's Journal

Bubba27

116 6
I am still baffled about my short sell order.

There is no place to order to buy back the shorted shares???

Something is confusing.

It says my short sale is completed. I do not understand what happened.... did my short order close out automatically while it was out of the money? This is confusing....

In tutorials online they show a second screen to place a reverse order. My screen only gave one choice to sell, but it has no buy point.

Very confusing......
With selling short orders there should be an opening trade ticket, and then a closing trade ticket.... but my brokerage only gives a opening trade ticket and no choice to close? So confusing......

Last edited:

Bubba27

116 6
Still struggling to understand my short sell order. I understand how shorts work but not how the trade ticket works...... Unsure of the status of my short.

Is the order closed? Why can I not place a stop on my shorts? At what price will it clear? Is the order still open?????

Very confusing..... I may try a different brokerage...... Unclear how the tickets work...... something makes no sense.......

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
Still struggling to understand my short sell order. I understand how shorts work but not how the trade ticket works...... Unsure of the status of my short. Is the order closed?

Why can I not place a stop on my short? At what price will it clear? Is the order still open?????

if you can’t establish the position on your platform/account then ring your broker.

Bubba27

116 6
I wonder if the brokerage put some weird restrictions over my account?? It is my first trades through their service.....

Did they control the way I do shorts so that only They control my shorts!!???

Something is totally off........

G

Guest504442

0 0
Does your broker offer a Demo account? It might be worth trading demo until you find your feet...

Bubba27

116 6
I have never used a demo account. I learned cryptocurrency by trading from exchanges and just buying and selling and setting stops, but never selling short.

The confusion has something to do with how the tickets are arranged in a way that I am missing something, because selling short seems really simple to me, I just do not see the control panel. Like some part of submitting orders is hidden or something is amiss.

But like others are suggesting: I am not trading anything until I get a handle on things.

I am not a demo guy either. I'd rather lose money and learn with real money on the line. The learning curve might sting but I will eventually come out ahead.

Reactions: Guest504442

Bubba27

116 6
I bought the short at $31.50 and price is now at $35, so my short is out the money.

I think it is not set Good Until Canceled. The short was set to close out at the end of today (not on purpose though). I'm really not sure. I am lost in the control panel.

This may conclude my trade journaling days for a while :)

Bubba27

116 6
Alright I figured out how to Buy to Cover my sell short order. It was the simpliest thing in the universe. Staring right at me.

Alright so now, I wait and see if SPCE price sinks down. Waiting...

Bubba27

116 6
NYSE:SPCE was @ $31.55
Buy to Cover @ $27
6 shares = $162
No commission
Going long
Originally sold short these 6 shares @ $31.50.

NYSE:SPCE was @ $32.78
Buy limit order @$25
8 shares =$200
No commission fees.
Reinvest dividends
Long shot. I may wind up adjusting this order as time goes by depending upon how the market behaves.

Last edited:
G

Guest504442

0 0
How long are you planning on holding SPCE? I don't think they've paid any divs out yet, do you think they will within your timeframe?

Bubba27

116 6
How long are you planning on holding SPCE? I don't think they've paid any divs out yet, do you think they will within your timeframe?
Ha.. I will add that to my list of things to do: Learn what Dividends are and how they work... :) (TBPH i just selected them to see what would happen)

Anyways- SPCE flew down in price over the past few hours. It reached down to $27.80... almost there... I may change the price to go lower because the RSI is screaming Downwards on the 1W, 1D, 4H, and 1H. The 1W chart has a giant red shooting star.. Therefore, I may adjust my orders to a lower price before they hit my limit price...

MasterOfCoin

Experienced member
1,228 479
FYI

SPCE has not paid any dividends yet, nor has it announced any.

\ Also.
A dividend being a periodic and entirely discretionary payout based on profits, it is unlikely that any payment resulting from 6 or 8 shares could be re-invested, as this would almost certainly not be large enough to purchase an additional share or shares.

Thus your re-investment could be held or carried over until additional dividends amounted to sufficient to do this.

;)

& we'd like to know what #3 was.

:)

Bubba27

116 6
Trade #3 (was in post #12)
Sell Short of SPCE @ $31.50
-6 shares

---
Also eyeing Bitcoin. I may buy before halving.

Last edited:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock