Broker for shares & ETFs???

asdfg123

Hi there,

Can anyone please recommend a broker for trading shares & ETFs? These trades will be in medium to long term, so I am not really looking for one for intraday trading.

Preferable, the broker will have stable finances, charge reasonable commissions, and allow me to hold shares in my own name if possible.

Any recommendations from personal experiences will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Hi, sorry to Hijack this thread but I am very new to this whole sharedealing thing and didn't know which forum to post this on.
What i'm wondering is: I have just bought £3000 worth of RBS shares @ 90p per share, using my banks "invest Direct" service, which is basically online sharedealing. Do I still qualify for any dividends and if so, how am I notified and do I get to decide to take cash or shares.

Once again sorry for this Hijack but any help is appreciated.(y)

Dividends will paid into your brokerage account if the shares were bought under a street name. If you bought directly, then they will have your name and address on file as a shareholder, and dividends should be mailed to your address.

You should contact the investor relations department of the company just to make sure.

You could also think of Etrade if you'll be holding longer term. The nice thing with Etrade is that your cash is FDIC insured, and you can get an ATM card to make withdrawls from the cash in your account. They are on the expensive end. Any broker will register the shares in your name, but there will be a fee. Etrade is more expensive on the commission side, but if you're longer term that's not your biggest concern. Your bigger concern would probably be customer service, and as many guarantees as you can get. Charles Schwab would be another option. Great customer service as well. Charles Schwab has the ATM card as well.