Broadband Max Capacity

ColinRiche

In terms of High Volume Stocks how many symbols can a 512k Broadband connection handle running at over 50 kb/sec before an upgrade to 1 Meg is needed ?

This will be limited more by your pc than by broadband (in my view) and the application you are using. TS2000i can be resource hungry if you are using particular studies but you can also use Excel which is not as bad. It is a difficult question to answer without more information to hand.

Paul

I have charted 20+ realtime using SierraChart with both MyTrack and IB Feeds and it has had very little impact on bandwidth.

Like Paul I do not think bandwidth is the issue, more your PC and application.

JonnyT

Colin, might be an idea to put this to your data feed supplier. They may have a better idea.

Apart from the PC potentially being more of a constraint as Paul mentions, you could also look at your contention ratio with your current broadband ISP.

It's been covered on another thread, but moving to a 20:1 from a (standard) 50:1 would likely give you more noticeable imprrovement in throughput.

CR
There is a fairly simple way to get a good idea of the position if you run WinXP.

Open Task Manager and click on the Networking tab. A 0.5% capacity on a 100Mbps LAN or a 5% capacity on a 10Mbs LAN is roughly maximum utilisation of a 512k connection. Turn on your apps and see what is being used by increasing the number of instruments watched - use some very active ones at a busy times to give you the worst case results. Then turn to the Performance tab and do the same thing there. I would suggst your processor capacity should never be more than 50% used on burst with only the charting and trading apps working together

BT Broadband any Good??

Hi guys,
I am thinking of signing up with BT Broadband and am wondering if there service ,speed,connection reliabilty etc is as good as the leaders in the field (Eclipse ,Nildram, Biscuit etc..).I have looked at the ADSL boards and found few recent complaints regarding BT,as for speed well,this gets rather confusing ,given that all providers(non cable) use BT line exchanges for connection so in theory the up and download speeds,reliabilty and so forth should depend more on the quality of the Exchange from where you are connected and not necessarilly on your provider and yet the league tables on ADSL site consistently have the above companies on top.
Views and advice from all would be appreciated,particularly your experiences when downloading intraday data. :confused: :rolleyes: :)

I have BT ADSL and haven't had nowhere near as many problems as I did with NTLs cable modem service.

Personally I would recommend it though other providers are usually rated higher and may be cheaper to boot.

JonnyT

Alledgely all ADSL lines in the UK run on the on the BT network, for the benifit of competition BT were forced to sell lines to third party companies for re-sale, technically the only involvement these 3rd party companies have is in the login process. BT have "pipes" to these 3rd party servers to grant or decline the login.

The only 2 problems you should get with 3rd party companies is problems with their accounts software or their servers being down. Also problems with the "pipe" at either end.

Apart from that you are essentially a BT customer and the quality of the service you get is really dependant on the relationship the 3rd party company has with BT. To this end BT can give better or worse service to the 3rd parties than its own customers.

I can't comment on BT's level of service to its customers as i haven't used their broadband service directly.
The 2 services i have used though provided me with approx. 99.9% of up-time.
Those 2 companies are Tiscali and FairADSL

The reason i cuurently use FairADSL is that they have a 2 month cancellation period compared to a 12 month contract with a lot of the others. And is under £20.

Last edited:
I have had Pipex 512k broadband through a BT line since November. I installed it myself in less than an hour, it logged in immediately and hasn't failed since. If only the rest of my trading system was as reliable :LOL:
hampy

Wowww :!: Thanks to all for replying.Jonny T are you consistently getting good speeds and how often if atall have you lost connection? I ask this as i mainly daytrade the DOW using 3 & 5 min charts and collect live data through Interactive brokers,so it is crucaial connection dropout is kept to a minimum.

Cheers guys :rolleyes: :)

I do experience an occaisonal short term connection issue but nothing that worries me.

Of course if you day trade you need a backup PC, UPS and alternative internet connection...

JonnyT