Satellite Broadband - a cautionary tale

Like so many who live in the sticks, I wanted broadband and chose BT satellite 2 years ago (wish I hadn't now) but I did get a grant, so I went ahead. Their claims for equivalent speed to hard wire are doubtful if not darn right deceitful. Its just too slow!

Anyway, I've been following the various alternatives on this board and others, I'm currently trying an alternative satellite set-up, using a dial up ISP & one way satellite + Opera browser. It seems to be much quicker than the BT slug, but I'm having to use 'Opera' due to the proxy setting required (too technical for me to explain) but my question is this:

I have hundreds of 'Favourites' on IE, but if I use IE & those addresses, they will only go through the ISP and that’s much slower, cutting out the satellite connection it would appear!
Is there anyway that I can transfer all those favourites from IE to Opera?

The combination of AOL as the ISP (only because it's the only one I can find who do not cut you off after 2 hours) and a one-way satellite system using Opera for the browser does work much quicker and it's less than £40 PM, where as, BT charge me £60PM + VAT, so big savings to be had. Still no where as good as you lucky City/town folks but its better than just an ISP. And I read that 'everywhere' will have BB by next summer (and pigs might fly BT).

Any advice, comments etc. (not too technical if possible please). Thanks.

Sally.

Just received this from Eclipse:

Eclipse Internet recently announced that it is making its high speed FLEX Broadband service available to even more users in remote parts of the country. Still the UK's only boostable speed service, FLEX Broadband costs from just £17.99 per month. This announcement comes as a result of yesterday's news from BT on the success of their extended reach trials in Milton Keynes in which Eclipse has been involved.

Trials have shown that people living and working further than 5.5km from their local exchange can now receive ADSL broadband services when previously they could not. It is a major step forward in the delivery of broadband to the vast majority of the UK population.

Eclipse Internet is now accepting advance orders for its FLEX Broadband 512Kbps services based on the new limits set. Advance orders will be processed when the new range limits come into effect on 6th September. With a five day set up period this means that customers who have previously been too far away from their exchange to get broadband can start benefiting from FLEX as early as 11th September.

Until the end of August* Eclipse is also offering one month's free flexing for new FLEX Broadband users. Customers placing advance orders during this period will benefit from this offer from the date of their line activation.

This is a significant step in the quest for 'Broadband Britain' and will mean that many more people in your community will now be able to benefit from broadband. Please spread the good news to all those frustrated dial-up users who have been denied broadband access until now!

To order FLEX Broadband simply visit www.eclipsebroadband.com

Best Regards

For Eclipse Sales
Eclipse Internet

* FLEX Orders placed by the 31st August 2004. Flexing may be limited to 512k depending on the distance from the Exchange.

Thanks Oatman,

Just checked up with the above company, my exchange does not qualify, still too far away. BT planning upgrade July 2005!

sallyt

you can export your favorites form - file - import export

not sure if this will then load into opera :rolleyes:

the only present way to trade safely is to use a T1 connection - but the present broadband land systems do seem to be fairly reliable nowadays,although i guess different exchanges have their own issues - but it would be good to get a few comments from people using satelite since my understanding is that they will always be plaugued with latency and affected by weather conditions - and do these same problems apply to wi-fi type broadband distribution?