Interactive brokers

A lot of institutions use VWAP as a benchmark when executing a portfolio of trades. They have to strike a balance between market impact (when a large trade will move the market) and opportunity cost (when you wait to execute a portion of your trade and the market moves for other reasons). VWAP is a good (or easy if you are cynical) way of measuring a broker's execution quality. Most houses have sophisticated platforms to achieve VWAP executions using volume profiles etc.

Not sure that it is much use to an individual investor, apart from it shows you where the price has been when weighted by volume.

Mac

Just a quickie ref IB :

I'm thinking about opening an account, and done all the "exams" (joke) but one thing I can't get my head around is the damned tax forms for the IRS? Can someone explain or would it be best to talk to them?

rossored, have you opened the online account from the uk site?

i recently opened an account and these forms were not included.

Hi Rossored

Sounds like your having the same problem as i had :rolleyes:
The form to fill in is the WBen one.

HTH :)

As FB says, the only one you will need is W-BEN.

The others are for if you are trading through trusts, and other more unusual entities. Assuming you are an ordinary person wanting to trade for yourself in an ordinary way, then W-BEN is the fellow for you! The BEN part stands for Beneficiary - ie, you are the beneficiary of the trading account profits.

Don't even bother asking IB - they cannot give tax advice, which is basically what you are asking them (I know, but that's the official line). And your UK tax office will be really stumped as well - I know, because I asked one of their tax inspectors about it and he hadn't a clue, yet was honest enough to tell me so!

Ok thanks to Boy, FB and Skim for your help.

Skim, are you following me around the website or am I following you?

:LOL: