Books: Still a thing? What do you have?

trendie

Legendary member
6,551 1,138
Been going down the minimalist route, after redecorating, tidying up, etc, over past few weeks.

Books: I have always been a big reader, and keen collector.
We have e-readers, Google Books, etc.

I tend to buy non-fiction (dictionaries, biographies, art, science) as physical, and novels as e-books.
Do you still buy physical books?
If e-books, what proportion are e-books, and what physical?
Are there specific genres you buy physical, and which e-books?

I have a certain wariness about putting all our information on-line, as its so easy to tamper with, and leave no obvious trace.
The recent non-news (??) that Google removed Winston Churchills photo from list of UK PMs, should be cause for concern, as potentially information can apparently be arbitrarily changed.

A private, foreign company, theoretically decided what British history is, and what is, or is not, relevant to the British people, as opposed to by someone in a boardroom in California.
Is this a concern?
Should it be?

EDIT: just re-read all that. Bit stream-of-consciousness, sorry.

Last edited:

Rufus_Leakey

162 61
Google removed Winston Churchills photo from list of UK PMs
A private, foreign company, theoretically decided what British history is, and what is, or is not, relevant to the British people, as opposed to by someone in a boardroom in California.
Is this a concern?
Should it be?

And they have a strange definition of best too.:)

1592419062872.png

Manostrell

48 3
When you need an answer to a question, most modern people immediately open the Google. Immediately, they get what they're looking for. However, for structured information, books are still more preferable. For example, you can spend hours surfing through various sites and blogs, going from one page to another, trying to learn new gymnastics or learn another way to get rid of a bad habit.
On the blogs of travelers you can lose tens of hours immersed in other people's memories, or you can buy a guide or other information resource and go independently to get impressions. The situation is even worse with scientific knowledge. Therefore, in search of reliable information, for example, on the physics of elementary particles or to find Winston Churchills photo, it is better to turn to special works.
I'll go back to blogs and websites again. Every year the world network covers more and more spaces, but still not available everywhere. It is much more useful to have a guide or guidebook. With the availability of e-books, it will not be difficult to carry a whole library with you. Finally, the decisive question for me is the structuring of the information provided. A book can be written for years, timely revealing the smallest details in the area of interest to you, while the filling of the Internet is spontaneous and chaotic.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,172 1,239
I still buy books. I enjoy reading a book as such, partly for the physical experience and partly for the location/context. Only non-fiction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock