'Big Game' Fishing

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
Anyone else interested in this?I'm also interested in Bonefishing.Can anyone recommend a venue?Anyone been to Cuba?

Mayfly

Established member
514 28
Hi Jonny,

Here's a link for you: http://www.flyfishingforlife.net/home.html

If you type "saltwater fly fishing" - plus your interest, say: bonefish/tarpon/marlin/etc - into google, then this will bring up loads of links for you.

Most of these will be US based and you'll find very few references to vacations in Cuba.

You could wander into Sportfish in Pall Mall - trouble is it's a difficult place to leave with your wallet intact - or you could visit their website instead, here: http://www.sportfish.co.uk/overseas.htm or http://www.sportfish.co.uk/cuba.htm or http://www.rbrww.com/

You're spoilt for choice basically - enjoy it! :D

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Last edited:

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
I've been to the Azores for Blue Marlin and Cabo San Lucas for Striped.I was wondering if anyone had an idea if Madeira was still the best Atlantic venue for Blues?Chartman,do you know Graeme Pullen?I think he's retired from the business and just fishes with friends now?

Skimbleshanks

2,325 16
I've spent many days bored to tears on a rather nice boat built for deep sea fishing off the Atlantic coast of Barbados. The men on board seemed to expect me to be delirious with joy at their achievements of catching a single Marlin after, what seemed to me, hours and hours of effort. I learnt to fake it. Deep sea fishing must be a man thing. :cheesy:

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
At Cabo,just about now.The Striped Marlin will be moving in.You can get several 'ganging' together to 'ball' bait and it's in these situations that you can have multiple hook-ups.If you don't want the Marlin,you can try for Dorado,Tuna etc.Or hire a 16' Panga and troll just off the surf line for Roosterfish.Although only averaging 10lb,they fight like hell.Skimble,maybe they wanted you for your female pheromones?Salmon fishermen swear by them.

ChartMan

Legendary member
5,580 46
Yes, I know Graeme Pullen- used to have a shop in my home town and was always in the newspapers about his exploits.

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
A friend playing an estimated 750lb Blue Marlin in the Azores.

Attachments

• marlin.jpg
    marlin.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 486

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
This is a 100lb+ Sailfish I caught in Cabo San Lucas

Attachments

• sailfish.jpg
    sailfish.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 3,008

suggy

133 0
ok, ok how big was the one that got away then? ;)

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
The Marlin on the Azores trip all 'got away'. 3 were released at the boat and one was a 'Bimini release '.Once the angler has got the leader swivel to the top eye he's deemed to have caught the fish.The Captain just wrapped the leader around his arm and snapped the leader.Mine was estimated at 250lb.The others were 250,400 and 750lb.The only big fish I've hooked that I haven't seen was a Shark off the Isle of Wight when the skipper hadn't checked the reel drags from the previous day's party.The two Porbeagles I did catch were estimated 150lb and 90lb.

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
This is the 90lb Porbeagle.The hook ripped its gills so it wouldn't have survived anyway.

Attachments

• porbeagle.jpg
    porbeagle.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,154

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
This is a 150?lb (can't remember) Hammerhead I caught in Islamorada.The Captain shoots all sharks with solid twelve-gauge slugs,so this one wasn't going back either!

Attachments

• hammerhead.jpg
    hammerhead.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 819
A

aussietrader

0 0
You call that a shark...

Now this is a shark......(wasn't that line in a movie somewhere!)

Isn't it great that these babies are now protected across Australia. We had a whale die close to shore last year and a dozen or more of these beauties were feasting on the carcus only a few hundred meters from shore.

You might guess we don't have many swimmers trying to break distance ocean swimming records without a cage over here!

AT

Attachments

• shark3.jpg
    shark3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,523

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
I very much wanted to catch (tag and release) a G.White but then they protected them in S.Africa.I had a contact and was all set!Then other things intervened and I lost interest for a while.I think the best alternative would be a Tiger Shark?I looked at the internet last night and Madeira for Blue Marlin is only slightly more expensive today than the Azores trip in late 80's.£455/day as opposed to £400/day back then.So I'm considering next summer for 5 days in Madeira.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock