Big Ben on the FTSE100

I may start doing that aswell now, with today being a smaller range I could have doubled my stake and still risked the same amount of money. It's a bit annoying capital spreads don't let you bet the pence aswell, are all spread betting companies like that?

Hi,

Just download a Metatrader demo account (smartlivemarkets has FTSE). It saves messing about with spreadsheets. Use this indicator on the daily chart, you can set it to display the required percentage.
Ted,

I'm looking for a way to automatically close my BB bets at 4:30 UK time. Where I live, that's half past 1 am :sleep:

The UK 100 Daily Cash that ETX offered last year seems to have been discontinued, would I be able to do this using SLM's MT4 platform, please?

It'll be some time before I can use it though, I can't run MT4 on my MacBook yet.

Thanks, h5n1.

Last edited:
H5N1 - you can do almost anything with MT4, though you might have to write some software to achieve it - not always straightforward.

Or you could try IG Index - I think they close off trades at 4:30 anyway, unless you specifically ask them to roll over. You'd have to double check that.

H5N1 - you can do almost anything with MT4, though you might have to write some software to achieve it - not always straightforward.

Or you could try IG Index - I think they close off trades at 4:30 anyway, unless you specifically ask them to roll over. You'd have to double check that.
Thanks Jim, but IG Index don't open spread-betting accounts for residents of Japan, also a number of other countries. :cry:

I know MT4 auto-close works for Forex, but wasn't aware if it would work with indices or not. I would imagine that would be a very useful feature to include in an EA.

Last edited:
I think my next area of research with these trades is to see if it would be more profitable to set a closer target than the BB range limit +/- the BB range. Intuitively, the closer the target, the more likely it is to be hit, but the lower the gain.

I have a 3-day weekend and hope to review some expired +ve and expired -ve trads to see if they should have been better with targets set at 33% or 67% of the BB range.

But has anybody already done this sort of reseach?

Is there anywhere where I can get sat data.
Even data I can upload into forex tester.
I want to test my own ideas on thi strat!

Today would have been a good example for that I think, about 6 points from target then expired negative today? I started work later today and was about 20 points up before, sneaked away to close at half 4 hoping for target hit and was very disappointed.

I don't think I have enough data to research that or I would put a bit of my own effort into this system.

Yep, it would be nice to finish the week with a good result tomorrow.

Today's pattern was frustrating but is not unique. In fact, it might be my imagination but are we not seeing a lot of contrary FTSE price movement as we approach 4pm these days? I'm starting to wonder if it might be easiest just to move the expiry time forward to 3.

i had the exact same thought.

To me, it seems just a complete gamble as to which way the FTSE makes a big movement in the morning so how is this different from New York markets opening in the afternoon? As we all know the majority of the time the FTSE follows the Dows' lead so maybe it might be more consistent and profitable to close at 1430/1500 just to avoid the opening movement or am I just being a complete noob?

Actually, 4pm ought to be enough to make a difference.

So far in 2011, only 1 of 7 targets hit trades has closed after 4pm. Going back to 01/09/10, targets hit trades closing before 4pm win over those stopped out by 38:9. 13 of the 38 winners closed between 3 and 4pm. After 4pm, only 5 trades hit target against 8 that were stopped (in 2010 I was running BB trades to 9pm).

So, for now, until better evidence becomes apparent as we run more trades and gather more information, I'm moving my default closing time for BB trades to 4pm.

Has anyone considered the effect that POMO is having - what's happening to the market when the US is injecting large chunks of money into it during the afternoon session. Could be what's upsetting our normally better-trend days, causing choppiness and reversals?

I just downloaded the smart live markets spread bet demo (as suggested by Ted1983), and it seems the indices work just the same as the forex, so it should be possible to write EAs just the same way. As you say - very useful. Don't know about the non-SB platform.

The demo only lasts 30 days, so may be tempted to get a live account

Thanks Jim, but IG Index don't open spread-betting accounts for residents of Japan, also a number of other countries. :cry:

I know MT4 auto-close works for Forex, but wasn't aware if it would work with indices or not. I would imagine that would be a very useful feature to include in an EA.

Just seen I got stopped out earlier. That makes 2 weeks where I've made a loss of points as well as money, am I going wrong somewhere or do I just need to stick with it?

Sorry to say it has been slightly negative in the last fortnight. 2 targets hit, 2 stops hit, 2 expired +ve, 3 expired -ve, 1 no trade. This week was 1 target hit, 1 stopped out, 1 expired +ve, 2 expired -ve. But we're just 9 sessions into February, 11 still to play for.

People at the office ask me from Tuesday morning onwards, 'Are you winning this week? Did you win last week?'. I tell them I only really pay attention to profit & loss using this system over 4 weeks. Over the last 4 weeks inclusive, we have had 5 targets hit, 2 stops hit, 6 expired +ve and 4 expired -ve. Gains in £ should therefore be about 2 x losses, which seems about average since September. All the last 5 months have been winners.

I only hope for a better second half.

Interesting results on what would have resulted from setting a closer target than the BB range over the last 3 weeks. To make this simple I have taken two potential closer targets, 12pts and 24 pts. The average 0800-0900 BB range for 2011 so far is 36, so these figures are handy but are one-third and two-thirds of the target and stop currently used on average anyway.

As well as bringing the target in to +/-12pts and +/-24pts, I have also brought the stop in to the same value, so that the trades remain symmetrical. That is, I didn't want to have a target 12pts out when the stop on a 36pt BB range day was three times further in the opposite direction from entry. This means that neither level has a basis in TA, but the target never did anyway.

Current system - BB range gives target and stop -
3 targets hit, 2 stopped out, 5 expired +ve, 4 expired -ve, 1 no trade.
For 12pt target and stop -
11 targets hit, 1 stopped out, 0 expired +ve, 2 expired -ve, 1 no trade
For 24pts target and stop -
6 targets hit, 3 stopped out, 2 expired +ve, 3 expired -ve, 1 no trade

As you might expect, a 12pt target is hit 78%, almost every time, impressive performance. There are two potential problems:
1) occasionally I have found price moving at exactly 9am through the BB limit: this can mean entry is not at the optimum level but several pts into the target range: if this is only 12pts wide, this can be a significant slippage.
2) I usually set long entry at BB high +2pts and stop at BB low -1pt. With only a 12pt target / stop, this approach to order-setting makes the trades very unbalanced, so that a win makes only 10pts, whereas a loser makes -15pts. Alright, the stop seems very unlikely to be hit, but a win:loss ratio of less than 1 is something to be aware of.

I am suggesting v3 of the BB rules for FTSE100 from Monday onwards -
Buy at BB High +2, Target BB High +12, Stop at BB High -13
Sell at BB Low -2, Target BB Low -12, Stop at BB Low +13
Ignore ATR
Cancel outstanding orders at 4:00pm.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
So this will be an improvement? With a smaller stop and target is your stake size going to double/triple so that you still risk the same amount? I like the idea of a standard stop and target everyday.

Yes, I think this is such a mechanical method that it suits a fixed position size so that the risk is known in advance and is always the same, the stake in £ per pt being adjusted according to acceptable percentage of account available for risk.