Best place in the world to trade?

Definately the best place to trade the US indices, stocks etc. is Europe from the time perspective - not having to get up at sparrow-fart to do the preliminaries. Maybe Wall St. will move over here ?
Europe for culture - across the pond they still think Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are high culture.
Europe for food - MacDonalds, Col whatsit of Kentucky fried chicken etc. should be refused entry.
Europe for social life
Europe for health - fall sick in most places and they either haven't got a health service or its not available unless the Doc and team are gouging you for all your cash.
Europe - less wacko s, terrorist lunatics etc,
Europe:-
by the sea
warm
off the tourist track
within easy reach of civilization
the locals understand English
no nasty stinging/biting things especiaaly at night

I guess you get the picture EUROPE IS BEST BY FAR ( well done GOD you plonked me here and not some dreadful other place - thanks !! LOL

Whilst I kinda agree with most of this I feel I should point out the counterbalance:

Europe for culture - across the pond they still think Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are high culture.

Chavs- Europe is riddled with them every summer. Also, I'm not too keen on post-communist Hungarian cinematography, even if it is high culture!

Europe for food - MacDonalds, Col whatsit of Kentucky fried chicken etc. should be refused entry.

We have our fair share of terrible food.

Europe for social life

I think NY, Miami, LA, SF, Chicago have decent nightlife.

Europe for health - fall sick in most places and they either haven't got a health service or its not available unless the Doc and team are gouging you for all your cash.

Free health service, you just have to wait 10 years for that emergency heart-op!

Europe - less wacko s, terrorist lunatics etc,

Hmmm, I think historically we prob cant complain about american nutters, look at some of our line-up: Nero, Hitler, Lenin, Napoleon, Mussolini

Europe:-
by the sea
warm
off the tourist track
within easy reach of civilization
the locals understand English
no nasty stinging/biting things especiaaly at night

er. mossies, jelly fish, great whites in the med (ok ok very very rare), poisonous snakes, rabies, not to mention insane drivers.

I guess you get the picture EUROPE IS BEST BY FAR ( well done GOD you plonked me here and not some dreadful other place - thanks !! LOL

I think Europe and the US are a fair match for each other, depending on what you want of course.

I am very well traveled. Certainly I would agree with some of the suggestions above that Capetown is really a nice place. But while in Capetown, I began to miss...Chicago.
So I went back.

I live just off a very pretty beach, yes, in Chicago. Most mornings during the spring through mid-fall, I get up before sunrise and paddle (or surf once in a while) my surfboard a little over one mile in Lake Michigan. We have one of the worl'd largest marathons and triathlons here, I've competed in both. If you like losing teams we have plenty of sports venues, too. Wrigley Field is a short distance from me.

The sunrises are stunning, the skyline is very nice. The neighborhhoods are great and I enjoy the cuisine.

I live in a Victorian that is a bit more than a century old a bit set back from 50 story buildings that line the shoreline. Then I ride my bicycle down a path downtown for the US opens. I get cleaned up at a health club before starting the day.

For me, since I am an exchange rat (although I don't trade on the floor any more) I like the fact that for the exchange people, the city is the worl'd largest small town.

When the weather is crummy (often the case) I can take rapid transit, we have the second largest mass transit system in the US, we have subways and elevated trains.

For business, NYC is a short flight away, California is about 4 hours out.

For pleasure, the flight to Puerto Vallarta (and surfing up that coast for me) is an even shorter flight from here than LA.

By world standards, living here is really cheap, too.

I think trying to rate places is so qualitative, I am happy because my family is here- not because it is "better". The city has many of the urban amenties (including exchanges) that are recquisite for me.

I doubt I could ever leave England (the countryside) permanently but the French Riviera for half the year seems attractive, eg climate, Juan-les-Pins jazz festival in August, large mixed European presence, fewer (hopefully) wealthy English chavs. Or any of the Italian Lakes.

Grant.

Gentlemen,

Thailand is the answer to your dreams. You start trading London about 2 pm and then NY comes in at around 7 pm. Then you log off at around 10 pm. Go out and enjoy the nightlife!

Cheers

Singapore isn't bad. One hour ahead of Bangkok. Internet is pretty good. However, I have been there twice in the last few months, and I must say that it is a pretty boring country. Not bad to visit for about three days, but then you want to leave. I wouldn't want to live there! haha

On a serious note does anyone know how forex profits are taxed in spain? Google is not bothered with my question either :(

I think a lot of the above posts missed the point of the thread. Its not where would you most like to live - its about trading.
Surely the wettest, most inhospitable place outside is more conducive to trading which is generally done inside. Need the internet of course. A beautiful countryside, gorgeous girls etc, are a real distraction from our primary area of operations which is TRADING.
If the question was where would you move to after making a huge amount of dosh then most of the above I would agree with.

I think a lot of the above posts missed the point of the thread. Its not where would you most like to live - its about trading.
Surely the wettest, most inhospitable place outside is more conducive to trading which is generally done inside. Need the internet of course. A beautiful countryside, gorgeous girls etc, are a real distraction from our primary area of operations which is TRADING.
If the question was where would you move to after making a huge amount of dosh then most of the above I would agree with.

Depends on the type of trading being done. If you're scalping then distractions arent good but if you hold for long periods then sitting on a deck with a laptop and watching the sea/beach/chicks is a great way to spend your time....

... and all that extra relaxation/happiness might actually make you a better trader into the bargain!

It also depends on what time frame you trade whether you are a day trader who likes sitting down in front of a machine all day or a position trader.
I spent 2 years in the philippines in a beach front villa my office was set up on the balcony looking out to sea being a position trader I could enjoy the view and other things and trade at the same time.
If you are a day trader this is probably not a good set up

Depends on the type of trading being done. If you're scalping then distractions arent good but if you hold for long periods then sitting on a deck with a laptop and watching the sea/beach/chicks is a great way to spend your time....

... and all that extra relaxation/happiness might actually make you a better trader into the bargain!

Agree.

I scalp the footy (mainly in the mornings) but I can see a set up coming a mile off, so I will then concentrate. On the other hand I can see if the market is going away from my entry criteria, and in that case I have 5 or 10 mins to be distracted. Or in the case this morning BL**DY HOURS !!

It's Hong Kong for me,
good time zone, good connections, good banking, good tax laws, good people, just an alround great place.

and the south pacific to get away from it all every couple of months and recharge the batteries.

Third seat along from the right, on the first desk of a trading floor in a modern brick building, in Woking, Surrey.

The guy next to you is making £500,000 a week

;)

Third seat along from the right, on the first desk of a trading floor in a modern brick building, in Woking, Surrey.

Had to go google that, but hey, you're in a famous place:

Woking also plays a role in literature: it is the town in which the Martians landed in H. G. Wells science fiction novel The War of the Worlds. It also features in Douglas Adams's The Meaning of Liff, as the word for when you go to the kitchen but forget why.

:cheesy:

The guy next to you is making £500,000 a week
;)

Err, that's nice and must come in handy to keep harem, yachts and garages sorted and up to date :D

Did somebody mention Monaco? Even Michael Schumacher couldn't afford a house with a garden; that's why he moved to Switzerland. Now there's an idea, especially Lugano, but it helps to speak italian. Personally, I like the heat, so I would consider Singapore. Hawaii could be nice, but time-wise it would be no good for scalpers. Position traders might like it, though.

Every trader needs relaxation. This is the hardest career and very stressing at times...I wish I was near a beach! It shouldn't distract if care is taken to stay in a routine.

I'm thinking about visiting Jamaica. I'm not sure if it's any good for trading though, we'll find out!