Best Charting Software?

I've put an explanation of these platforms on a disc - if you would like a copy PM me with your Full name and address I'll send you a copy FREE - Z
Odd that you seem to like to make a mystery out of it, then again I see you're a vendor so maybe not so odd at all.

Cynic

roguetrader said:
Odd that you seem to like to make a mystery out of it, then again I see you're a vendor so maybe not so odd at all.

NOTE rougetrader I said FREE which means no obligation - no committment - no cost - no email requested! No mystery! I rarely post here as whenever I do the cynics creep out of the woodwork.

It is clearly see that I am a vendor what is your Problem?? It gives me also an opportunity to promote my services

Zenda said:
NOTE rougetrader I said FREE which means no obligation - no committment - no cost - no email requested! No mystery! I rarely post here as whenever I do the cynics creep out of the woodwork.

It is clearly see that I am a vendor what is your Problem?? It gives me also an opportunity to promote my services
An unsurprisingly testy response, ok here's what I mean about mystery...I use esignal, no pm-ing, don't want his name and address. Nothin's for free in this world sunshine Personally I am very carefull who i give my full name and adress to these days. Information has value.

rols said:
Maybe I have been spending too much time on the ET site where they tell it how it is but I do reckon we sometimes we are a bit too polite, English and Wet Nursing to be helpful in the long run. C'mon guys it's a dog eat dog jungle out there, it's not a video game or a hobby, people get seriously burned. Why not tell them how it is instead of saying come on in the waters lovely and warm?

The result of nobody failing school, nobody losing at sports day, differences being ignored in the pursuit of 'equality' and high school exams where 25% of the candidates get an A. End result: everyone expects life to be a piece of cake.

PS- Not aimed at anyone in particular, just a saturday afternoon rant :devilish:

minx said:
The result of nobody failing school, nobody losing at sports day, differences being ignored in the pursuit of 'equality' and high school exams where 25% of the candidates get an A. End result: everyone expects life to be a piece of cake.

PS- Not aimed at anyone in particular, just a saturday afternoon rant :devilish:

Thanks for that Minx.

To add - a little anecdote. Went to see my nephew (10 yrs old) run in the school sports race (75m) and when the whistle was blown all the other kids ran off except him who eventually left on a second whistle. He came third. When I asked him why he waited he told me that "the teachers said it wasn't fair on the others because he(my nephew) was so much better than the others."

Give me strength!!

Now come on Rols it would have infringed terribly on the other kids' rights if someone was allowed to win on merit. Think of the subsequent self-esteem counselling bills saved too. No doubt these sensitive guardians of our future mail delivery operatives also refuse to mark exam papers with red pens because of the "negative connotations" of red and call anyone who fails a "deferred success", before launching into a rousing chorus of "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4697461.stm

I also wager they check their homes daily for "tripping hazards", that is if the council haven't got there first.

http://pcwatch.blogspot.com/

Perhaps they work at this school too?

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=820002006

Time for an unplanned re-examination of recent food choices.

I recommend that you follow their example and delay your data feed by at least five minutes and trade through a Finspreads platform so that less competent, sorry I mean "differently qualified" traders have a chance.

Ah, something relevant: After a couple of weeks' testing, I'm fairly sure that IQfeed and Sierra Chart have the ingedients for a long, cheap and fulfilling marriage. Sierra has improved an indecent amount over the last year and it's still ludicrously inexpensive, while IQfeed has been faultless and very fast so far, though I need to force it through an NFP release to be sure. So it's bye bye to MyTrack and IB snapshots. Thanks to charliechan for the tip. Sorry not much use to a Macophiliac though.

Last edited:
frugi said:
Now come on Rols it would have infringed terribly on the other kids' rights if someone was allowed to win on merit. Think of the subsequent self-esteem counselling bills saved too. No doubt these sensitive guardians of our future mail delivery operatives also refuse to mark exam papers with red pens because of the "negative connotations" of red and call anyone who fails a "deferred success", before launching into a rousing chorus of "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4697461.stm

I also wager they check their homes daily for "tripping hazards", that is if the council haven't got there first.

http://pcwatch.blogspot.com/

Perhaps they work at this school too?

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=820002006

Time for an unplanned re-examination of recent food choices.

I recommend that you follow their example and delay your data feed by at least five minutes and trade through Finspreads so that less competent, sorry I mean "differently qualified" traders have a chance.

Ah, something relevant: After a couple of weeks' testing, I'm fairly sure that IQfeed and Sierra Chart have the ingedients for a long, cheap and fulfilling marriage. Sierra has improved an indecent amount over the last year and it's still ludicrously inexpensive, while IQfeed has been faultless and very fast so far, though I need to force it through an NFP release to be sure. So it's bye bye to MyTrackdelay and IB snapshots. Thanks to charliechan for the tip. Sorry not much use to a Macophiliac though.

Hi Frugi

Good to see your post...

Is there anybody who actually likes Finspreads apart from this site which emblazons their banner across the horizon dazzling newbies with false hope?

Just been watching the X factor which ties in well with all of the above. Amazing how many 'truly believe they have the X factor' and 'fame is there for the taking.'

Is this self delusion due to our education system or hubris? In order to pass A level now one needs a pitiful low score, no wonder this year 97% passed!

I have been looking at other data providers and thanks for the tip. BTW my love affair with Apple is ending, they are now a victim of their own success ironically enough.

This is from the price and volume thread..

alan5616 said:
Since making my original post, I have now subscribed to a data feed with one of the independent data vendors.

I have only been using the other data feed for a few days but, the difference between this and IB is quite apparent already. My win % has gone into orbit (or feels like it). The analogy that comes to mind is "getting off a bicycle into a car".

And to go full circle...

VSATrader said:
Hi Alan;
I am glad that you have come to your senses. There is an old saying, 'If you get something for nothing, then that is usually what it is worth.'

Take note Zenda the Vendor... :cheesy:

Look into Thinkorswim, It's feature rich, real time and has an 'on demand' historical trading ability to put your methodology to the test. Be aware that it has a reputation for being occasionally glitchy. I like the charting aspect enough to stick with it.

A token amount may be required to open an account through TD Ameritrade.

As a newbie to trading I'm shocked by the 1990's feel of charting software.

Metatrader4 appears to be the standard with the widest range of free and paid indicator scripts. My favourite is a trade simulator allowing you to live backtest at increased speed. I also like the DDE server.

But it's still antiquated. There's no pinch to zoom. There's no ability to select multiple symbols at the same time. The only way to form currency baskets is to program it (and I couldn't get that working). There's no ElliotWave count assistance. It's difficult to view back >2 years of data as there's no on demand data loading with zoom out you hit a limit - and it's programmed in such a way that you need more memory in your computer to hold the data in the background rather than what is useful and what you can see. You can't rebind hotkeys. It's not designed for tablets. The mobile app is online only with no offline analysis. You can't turn off the grid for newly opened charts. You have to search for your asset symbol manually through the hundreds of them instead of ctrl+f find.
In short afaik MT4 is the best there is... but it's only good from a 1980's viewpoint. There doesn't seem to be anything out there:
- modern (pinch to zoom, ipad, etc)
- scriptable, yet liberally licensed and documented for tinkering

A combination of scripting things non visually on a commandline through various apis and languages such as coffeescript or python along with a closed inflexible platform such as tradingview doesn't seem much better than the flexible but antiquated MT4/5.

I'm amazed there's not more out there... unless I've missed something more advanced?

As a newbie to trading I'm shocked by the 1990's feel of charting software.

Metatrader4 appears to be the standard with the widest range of free and paid indicator scripts. My favourite is a trade simulator allowing you to live backtest at increased speed. I also like the DDE server. I also like that it's compatible with so many brokers and often offered via them for free.

But it's still antiquated. There's no pinch to zoom. There's no ability to select multiple symbols at the same time. The only way to form currency baskets is to program it (and I couldn't get that working). There's no ElliotWave count assistance. It's difficult to view back >2 years of data as there's no on demand data loading with zoom out you hit a limit - and it's programmed in such a way that you need more memory in your computer to hold the data in the background rather than what is useful and what you can see. You can't rebind hotkeys. It's not designed for tablets. The mobile app is online only with no offline analysis. You can't turn off the grid for newly opened charts. You have to search for your asset symbol manually through the hundreds of them instead of ctrl+f find.
In short afaik MT4 is the best there is... but it's only good from a 1980's viewpoint. There doesn't seem to be anything out there:
- modern (pinch to zoom, ipad, etc)
- scriptable, yet liberally licensed and documented for tinkering

A combination of scripting things non visually on a commandline through various apis and languages such as coffeescript or python along with a closed inflexible platform such as tradingview doesn't seem much better than the flexible but antiquated MT4/5.

I'm amazed there's not more out there... unless I've missed something more advanced? There's also not much being pirated either so it's not just a matter of high fees.