AVG error! Help!

trendie

Legendary member
I got an AVG error, that the system needed to be restarted.
So I did.
But the message kept occuring. Even after 3 reboots.
So I decided to reload AVG.

I am now getting a "General Error" when I try to update.
The "Database is outdated" message appears for both Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.

How do I fix the general error?
When I re-installed the AVG, I chose option to "repair" rather than re-install.

Should I uninstall AVG completely and re-install afresh?

Attachments

• avg.jpg
    avg.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,136
It's possibly because their virus DB is offline at present. Leave it a while and see if it corrects itself. Have a look on the AVG website - they may have a message - or if you can't reach the website - then that'll be the reason why!

thanks Hoggums.

have uninstalled and re-installed afresh. its chugging along doing a full-scan.
could be that the older verion was 7.5 I think, and when I hit "repair", it was using v8.0 to repair a v7.5 install.

anyway, seems sorted.
crisis over.

EDIT: will remember that tip about checking AVG site being down or not. good one.

you just need to update your database.ie new virus variants come out everyday.....so AVG update there software accordingly, as most reputable antivirus companies ,
no need to reinstall, just update

Unfortunately, AVG sometimes gets an error where it is not possible to update. Even reinstalling may not fix this as the error remains in the Window's registry.

I have seen many problems like this with AVG and would recomend that you avoid using version 8 as it is full of errors.

AVG can put ur pc in a continues reboot cycle which never ends and has problems intergrating with microsoft office products.