Trojen infects Svchost

zainstheman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have an unusual problem, see my dad's computer has no anti virus and when i run a online scan with bitdefender i found that it had 50 infected files and a couple of trojens, i did a bit of tinkering, removed a few registry values and everythin until it came down to avg anti spyware 7.5, it removed the last trojens but it says my svchosts(3 of em)

C:\WINDOWS\SVCHOST.EXE

are infected by Trojen.Agent.abt

they are in the quarenteen but i still dont know whether i should delete them permeninently,(which could damage the system) cause my avg is a 30 day trial and this means the viruses are still on my computer.... is there any way i can disinfect the svchosts... or remove them without any system collapses

anyhelp would be appreciented

....Buy a good anti virus and internet protector.....maybe Norton....etc etc.....

...For 50 odd quid you will and your Dad will have happy life with computers....

....No point wasting away time to clean the system, which could be used productively....

....Using Norton for last 15 years now it is one lesson I have learned.....

Plenty of free anti-virus out there
Avast!
AVG
AntiVir
Norton i don't like, bloatware for the masses, if your looking for advice on security apps try Wilders Security forum
and/or CastleCops they'll give you the lowdown on what will best suit you going forwards.

agree with roguetrader - stay away from Norton/McAfee if you like your system to respond once in a while. It's the worst-written AV on the planet, bar none (sorry Zambuck!). Was alright up until Norton 2002/3 and then got bad, bad, bad...

NOD32 still lightweight and easy.

Or do away with virus problems completely - and get a Mac :) (sorry couldn't resist)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have an unusual problem, see my dad's computer has no anti virus and when i run a online scan with bitdefender i found that it had 50 infected files and a couple of trojens, i did a bit of tinkering, removed a few registry values and everythin until it came down to avg anti spyware 7.5, it removed the last trojens but it says my svchosts(3 of em)

are infected by Trojen.Agent.abt

they are in the quarenteen but i still dont know whether i should delete them permeninently,(which could damage the system) cause my avg is a 30 day trial and this means the viruses are still on my computer.... is there any way i can disinfect the svchosts... or remove them without any system collapses

anyhelp would be appreciented

although this isn't much help, why are you on a 30 day trial with AVG? I've used there free software for years with no issues.

UTB

although this isn't much help, why are you on a 30 day trial with AVG? I've used there free software for years with no issues.

UTB

The trial if memory serves me is in the Antispyware product, and the trial bit of that product refers to realtime protection and auto updates, after the trial period it can still be updated manually, (although it has been problematic) and used as an on demand scanner.

The trial if memory serves me is in the Antispyware product, and the trial bit of that product refers to realtime protection and auto updates, after the trial period it can still be updated manually, (although it has been problematic) and used as an on demand scanner.

hmmm. I'm no techie, but I'm sure I've got full anti-virus protection for free. And it definitely auto-updates. It's been completely problem free for years.

I use spybot for spyware.

UTB

Edit - Ahh, you were referring to the trial mentioned by Zainstheman. Note to self - must try harder:)

hmmm. I'm no techie, but I'm sure I've got full anti-virus protection for free. And it definitely auto-updates. It's been completely problem free for years.

I use spybot for spyware.

UTB

Edit - Ahh, you were referring to the trial mentioned by Zainstheman. Note to self - must try harder:)

Yes AVG Antivirus is free to non commercial users, they also purchased Ewido Antispyware a year or two back and released it as AVG Antispyware, this product requires payment for active protection and auto updates.