Auto start and login to IB

Bunyip

Is there any way that I can start the IB TWS application automatically (complete with the correct login)? I am using IB as a datafeed into TradeStation 2000i, and there does not seem to be anyway of preventing IB from logging out (can only adjust the logout time). I am looking for a way to restart the application automatically 1 minute after it has logged out, so that I can collect data overnight.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I have developed an application that automatically logs you in if you get logged out but I havent used it for quite a while and it was on another PC. It was written in Visual Basic and I will see if I can find it.

Paul

Try TWSStart which you can get from here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/beejay/tmp/twsstart2/TWSStart_2_2.zip

It has an option to 'Monitor TWS' every x seconds and attempt a re-login, and a bunch of other useful stuff too.

To be honest I've stopped trying to do this kind of thing automatically, and I just use it to start TWS without having to type in my username/password every morning. There's just too much to go wrong - my internet connection, either because the ISP or BT turns it off or starts routing packets into a black hole, or the DSL line goes down and won't come back up without a power cycle, or (which is happening more and more frequently recently IME) IB's datafeeds go down momentarily and TWS gets its knickers in a twist trying to reconnect...then there's XP acting up and needing a reboot - etc etc.

So now I don't attempt any auto-trading on my system - I'm looking at a hosted setup like fxengines.com, when their offering improves and matures a bit perhaps.

Also although IB are now almost 24 hour online through the week, they do still have a system reset sometime in the wee hours, which now only lasts about a minute, but would still be an annoying break by the time your system recovered from it, if you are planning to use them to continually collect data. Look at the System Status page on their Web site for details.

KenN

Thanks Ken. This looks a nice piece of software.

For completeness (and for anyone else who may view this thread) I have discovered more on this topic at:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TWSAPI

There is a link to files and within there a topic on Auto Login codes. This section also contains the user documentation to the TWSStart software.

It is necessary to register with Yahoo and the TWSAPI user group.

Bunyip said:
Is there any way that I can start the IB TWS application automatically (complete with the correct login)? I am using IB as a datafeed into TradeStation 2000i, and there does not seem to be anyway of preventing IB from logging out (can only adjust the logout time). I am looking for a way to restart the application automatically 1 minute after it has logged out, so that I can collect data overnight.

Thanks in advance.

I have and use the autostart for TWS but don't bother. I second everything said above and below. When IB does maintenance, your TWS will reconnect but Globalserver will not and hence no data will be plotted in TS. This happens at session end 4:15pm (US time) and around midnight when IB goes down. Unless you set GS to do its maintenance between 4:15 and 4:30pm, that will kill data collection as well. The only solution to this would be to find an app that works on XP that would allow you to schedule the start up AND SHUTDOWN of programs. You would need to shut down after an interruption and could use the autostart to restart. The autostart is good to start everything up but if an interruption occurs - your GS craps out and you are out of luck - need to manually shut down. If anyone knows of such an app pleaselet me know.

Last edited:
I just receive my trade Station2000i and would like some step by step instruction on how to install this with IB data. Did anyone know of such a link? I try to install it but it ask all kind of question I have no clue what it want me to answer. Please post any helpful link here. Thanks!

Hyperserve Info

Trader333 said:
To use Tradestation with IB as a datafeed you will need to install an interface between the two. The one that many use is available from www.hypertrader.it/hserverl.shtml and I am told that it now no longer free.

Paul

Youre probably looking at 96 Euros + italian government tax of 20% ( sting in the tail ) for hyperserve 3.0 inc.
lifetime licence, unlimited email support and some version updates, but please contact them direct for up todate info, good luck

There are multiple answer on the set up on trade station 2000i and I may choose the wrong one. Is there any web that tell me which is the set up for IB? I download meta server and has es z6 working but can not get er2 z6 working.

A program called Macro Express will accomplish all the automation functions requested here.