Astrology Data Overlay

I can't believe this thread has generated so much interest. 2000 plus views!

Trendie: if you are looking at Indian Astrology, you might care to explore Western Sidereal astrology. There is not that much on it as most conventional astrologers follow calculations based on the Tropical Zodiac. Western Sidereal is based on the true positions of the planets and if Right Ascension (please don't ask me to go into detail as I am a novice) is used then zodiac positions - in fact everything is the same as if you went outside and looked at the sky above you.

Quite a bit of research was done on this in the 1950s, but most astrologers still use the system that they've used (probably) since Ancient Greece. Unfortunately (IMO) in the small field of financial astrology most are still using the Tropical Zodiac (which may not be quite as accurate).

By the way, I don't use astrology to trade, but I find it of interest and it may be of more benefit on showing cycles in the economy. In the earlier part of the last century I think the economy and stocks moved more or less in tandem but less so in recent years (maybe someone will correct me on this)? This is, from what I can gather, the thinking of financial astrologers.

BeachRunner,

Sidereal, Right Ascension, etc, relates to taking into account the precession of the earth.
As you say, it is technically more accurate.
Good stuff.

chrisg; re: Cosmic Loom. will have a look a it. but not for a few weeks. (Delta, etc)

:)

May I tentatively venture to ask if there is any connection between Trading Astrology and the Flat Earth Society ?

If this is considered off topic, I apololgise and withdraw the question.

SOCRATES said:
May I tentatively venture to ask if there is any connection between Trading Astrology and the Flat Earth Society ?

If this is considered off topic, I apololgise and withdraw the question.

it is off-topic, and please delete your post.... thank you.

(another prediction: this gives soccy baby the chance he's been waiting for to open up the proverbial can-of-worms! - which is OK as the topic now really does seem to have run its course, what with brambie exploring the semantics side to the depth that only brambie and soccy baby can) :cool: :LOL:

(btw soccy, another spelling mistake in your post above :cheesy: )

Sorry, Sorry, dsmodi, I just thought it might be of interest, you know.

I am only trying to be helpful and to stimulate learned and informed discussion.

As for spelling mistakes, I am always grateful to anyone who shows whizzdom as quickly as you do.

ivorm said:
I'd like to put forward another way of looking at this.

It's not the stars or planets (or other celestial objects) that affect the market. Rather, it's the view that the the stars, planets, etc are subject to the same cosmic forces and cycles that affect everything in the universe.

I'd like to ramble ineffectually for a while, for which I apologise in advance. Put me on ignore, please. ;)

Ivorm, your argument seduced me for some time and is very difficult to refute with any authority - not that I would wish to, as point-scoring is the last of my priorities. I have wrestled with it for hours and not arrived at a satisfactory conclusion, which, rather than being depressing has, among other twists and turns, made me realise how wonderful it is to be a confused, somewhat ignorant human! Thanks for posting. :)

Bear with me on this cause I've turned the pomposity - and call centre cliché - filter to off. :eek:

First, a general, obvious point. Given our somewhat pathetic and subjective view of the machinations of an unfeasibly large universe, we simply cannot determine any concrete, objective truth about it, or ourselves, as we in the unfortunate postion of trying to look down dispassionately upon it, while still being very much part of the very area we try to cooly observe. We are rats in a covered trap trying to work out what the unseen scientist has in store for us, if you like, while of course not knowing if he exists at all, or why. Poor analogy I know, but I hope it conveys my point.

To put it another way, can we confidently discover and test convincingly any truth or universal principle, regarding the "real" way the universe works, or is every "law" we confidently assert simply a matter of interpretation, by us, according to our frame of reference? Despite our best efforts at asserting a logical framework that seems to work within its own boundaries, we simply cannot know the universal truths, if we're honest - and indeed if there are any to be had, at all. I suspect that there aren't - it is what is is etc.

But we have brains, so naturally we try - or incessantly watch Sky - and there is as much value in the trying as there is in the lack of truthful conclusion. I accept all that and do not require meaning, grand design or purpose.

Consistent empirical evidence is a good start, of course, but it can only be valid in as much as we apply it to our particular way of looking at things. That said, if one is in our position, I would prefer some empirical evidence instead of none: we don't quite understand why planes fly or how electromagnetic motors work, but, given that they do, time and time again under the same conditions, we have something to work with and can extrapolate accordingly. If a Wright plane flies, then so will a 747 and this helps us trot around the globe, to our collective advantage.

This is simply not true of any astrological theory of the market. The evidence amounts to nothing. One day our evidence may of course indicate to the contrary but until it does I am happy to ignore the field entirely and concentrate on studies, closer to home, that show a little more promise.

Anyway, I wander off topic into the realm of philosophy and there is little to be gained by progressing - or not - further. The centre of the earth could be filled with furiously perambulating kittens and thus it spins, for all we know. :)

However I will say this, for what it's worth: market participants have the dubious luxury of free will (determinism excepted!), as well as beliefs, goals and emotions, while planets, stars and the like do not. These cosmic forces and cycles you mention have a fairly predictable effect on their inorganic quarry: for instance, gravity holds a planet in orbit while kinetic energy, given the little resistance provided by space, keeps it on the move. Thus a cycle is observed and an explicable force, according to our frame of reference, at least, is the obvious cause.

Humans are of course subject to these forces too, in a physical sense. We all know that a hot skillet will singe an unwisely placed hand, that we cannot jump 40 metres in the air and that night alternates regularly with day, and so on. We are also all equally aware of these "laws" and act accordingly, accepting the limitations imposed and moulding our lives around them.

For instance, we have chosen to be awake, go about our business and trade during the day. There is no covert, mysterious force at work here: rather it is a matter of collective convenience. En masse, we have decided our working hours based on a constant pattern of the earth rotating around the sun. We could always choose to trade at night, or at any time, but we prefer not to, much as we choose to carry an umbrella when it rains. This is surely different to being subject to "unseen" forces that influence us without our knowing?

This includes human behaviour and, therefore, indirectly the markets.

To compare our freely chosen actions with those of unthinking objects such as Mars does not really get us anywhere, imho. I wonder why you say "indirectly" as surely the effect would be direct, since markets are solely composed of humans, or at least humans using programs of their own design? If human behaviour is affected, then the market's will be too, all too directly.

The question seems to be:Do undetected cosmic 'forces, cycles and patterns' have an effect on our decisions without our being aware of it? Is that the basis of astrology?

If this is so, then by observing the movements of celestial objects, we may be able to discern the movements of the market NOT because the celestial objects are affecting the markets but because the markets will be following the same cycles.

We are in danger of clouding the argument with woolly definitions. Now I like wool as much as the next woman - I am fashioned from said material after all :) - but what leads you to think that markets will follow the same cosmic cycles as inorganic matter floating on a fairly predictable trajectory around the galaxy? You are not comparing like with like, imho. As you know, markets are composed of humans, and there is a huge difference between a lump of rock subject to basic physical forces and a being with free will (and all the other luxuries/cumbersome emotional baggage that (s)he possesses).

What I want you to do - grr :) - is define the 'cosmic forces and cycles' (beyond the basic physical ones which we have researched, tested and provided working theories for, such as gravity, kinetic energy, electricity etc.) that affect our decisions while we trade. The movement of the sun (actually the earth, lol) may well define when we trade, as a matter of obvious convenience, but does it affect how we trade, if you like?

Let us imagine *assumes role of devil's advocate * that it does. To be precise, Thompson, celestial forces and certain alignments have an effect on the market. Does it not then follow that all of us will be affected equally? After all, we talk of the market being affected by astrology, so do we not mean the market as a whole? Assuming we do, then what is the point of studying this effect, given that the market is composed of buyers and sellers all trying to achieve the same aim? In short ...

If the effect of these 'cosmic cycles/forces' is [market] universal, then it can be disregarded as it will affect all participants equally.

But, if you'd have it instead that a given turning point is caused by a certain cycle, which also causes Mercury risin', for instance, then this cycle must have influenced more people to sell than buy, or vice versa, which implies that the influence is selective, not universal, and thus fickle and subjective. Either we're all affected in the same way, which would mean we all have an uncontrollable urge to buy/sell, or there is no consistent, testable effect, in other words.

Imagine that a univeral influence is true: what can be done? Zoom in a little - or a lot, if we're talking about Pluto :) - and simply observe the trails left by market participants. There is no need to go "out" any further as all the evidence we need is sitting right in front of us. Market participants can only do one of three things - stay out, buy, or sell - and all of these actions leave irrefutable evidence in terms of price and volume movement. Why bother with the so-called causes of participants' actions when you can analyse the very actions themselves and come to a simple conclusion of what has happened and thus, with practice and observation, what is likely to happen next?

I apologise again for all this. Most unbefitting of a mod. :) Funny how a thread that I so blithely rejected comes to make me try to think more than any other has done for some time. Humans and irony eh ... I'd rather be a cat. :LOL:

Perhaps not everything is as it seems. Perhaps the definitions of mass, density and gravity in physics are not appropriate. There may be other dimensions to these things not considered.

(dsmodi, is this alright ?)

Perhaps the real universe is not the real universe, that time is not time and matter is not.

I am going to stop...better be prudent...

Appropriate perhaps only to our tiny frame of reference I would say, in my ignorance. Dark matter, wormholes, uncertainty etc. - hmm. Yes, there is more to it than we could possibly know, I admit. Yet strangely that is probably beneficial to us because concentrating on what we do (think) know can advance our civilisation in leaps and bounds, even if it is somehow wrong. The history of science contains many examples of totally wrong theories, yet their disproval somehow led to the next level of knowledge, much as in trading one must experience and then discard everything personally inappropriate and ugly to arrive at the perfect sculpture and therein lies one's edge :eek:

dsmodi said:
it is off-topic, and please delete your post.... thank you.
DS - do you actually post anything with original content? All I can find is instructions from you to other members on what, when and how they should be posting. You're probably responsible for more off-topic meandering than most. :LOL:

If you're in learn-mode (which I suspect you still are, having been a member for such a long time) please take my genuinely positive intent in suggesting you might learn more with your hands off the keyboard for a while. Just read...

trendie said:
Sidereal, Right Ascension, etc, relates to taking into account the precession of the earth.
As you say, it is technically more accurate.
Good stuff.
If you're going all out for accuracy, you'll need to take a view (no pun intended) on whether your astrological Universe is Geocentric or Heliocentric.

Are we (Earth) really at the centre of our solar system?

I recall reading a book a long while ago which suggested that there were 13 zodiacal signs, instead of the current 12.
If memory serves, it represented the Minotaur. I think the author was Liz Green or Stan Gooch.

Thta is why I suggested trying to define what we were looking for, such as notable highs, and notable lows, and seeing if a pattern emerged.
As frugi has said in her post, we are being "woolly", and not defining anything.

re: Socrates and Astrology / Flat Earth.
Socrates, by all means put forward your ideas. But please;
DEFINE your flat earth.
DEFINE your astrology. ( zodiacal signs, or planetary trine/quartile/conjunctions ) etc
STATE your propostions, that can be tested.
good luck.

frugi said:
I'd like to ramble ineffectually for a while, for which I apologise in advance. Put me on ignore, please. ;) ......

Wow, frugi. I'm afraid I'm not qualified to answer your well reasoned and excellent post.

I am not at all convinced about astrology, although some of my superficial looks at its application to financial markets do make me think that there may be something to it. That being so, I was disconcerted by JohnDoe's question 'How can stars affect the market ?' This led to an 'in-the bath' (well, actually 'in-the-shower') moment of perspicacity that made me see that there is perhaps another way of looking at the issue. My post above outlines this alternative way of thinking. (Although I'm sure I'm not the first to think in this way).

I did consider that inaminate object (stars, planets, etc) are being compared to animate objects (human beings). But you kindof answered your own doubts when you said that 'market participants have the luxury of free will'. This perhaps explains why planets follow fixed paths whereas all we can do with the markets is say that there is a 'probability' that something may happen.

Now, the mention of 'probability' may make you think of quantum mechanics (if you are that way inclined) which is a subject I am much more at home with. My interest in this thread and my thinking may have been influenced by a lecture I attended last week by one of the leading quantum physicists (Prof. Michael Green). Amongst many other things, he said that, like many other physicists, his work has led him to have a firm belief that at a deep, fundamental level everything in the universe is somehow inter-connected. It may be that the cycles and forces I refer to are operating at this fundamental level. As to what these cycles and forces are and how they work - I've got no idea.

(It might also be woth mentioning here that although there are theories about gravity and we are able to predict accurately the effects of gravity, nevertheless science has very little understanding about how gravity works. Indeed, trying to fit gravity into a unified theory of everything is proving to be one of the great stumbling blocks in physics. )

Well, that's about where I'm at with this line of thinking for the moment. I do find the subject fascinating and would love to have more time to research and investigate the matter further.

Always good to hear from you, frugi. I'm glad you've got so involved with t2w. I always knew your presence here would add quality to the boards. Do you ever post on fillyaboots (if it's still going) ? And are you really living in Bequia ?

Regards,

Ivor

Last edited:
TheBramble said:
{Silent Scream....} :LOL:

No, I do not. I don't know how more forcefully I could have stated my disagreement with that statement. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Errrrrrrrrr, top of your post 96 ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

WHERE does Delta "extoll (sic) lunar / planetary influences on the markets"???

Come back with a specific reference.

Can't put stuff up from the book here as you know from a previous crash & burn, but i believe i already have put up the ITD & asked for your comment on it.

Anyhow, lets move on from this groundhog day shall we.....................

Last edited:
trendie said:
As frugi has said in her post, we are being "woolly", and not defining anything.

good luck.

lol. frugi is gonna be well pleased with that !!

Trendie

I'm interested looking at your posts in other threads how you've gravitated towards D. How have you found it & where are you going with it? PM if you like

Cheers

M

mofo said:
Trendie

I'm interested looking at your posts in other threads how you've gravitated towards D. How have you found it & where are you going with it? PM if you like

Cheers

M

mofo,

I am comfortable with my MA - not brilliant, but it chugs away in the background, generating small but consistent profits.
I have the time to play with new ideas.
I consider myself open-minded, and will apply an idea MYSELF, and make up my OWN mind whether it has value.
Sometimes an idea may not work in total, but I can still come away with some little nugget of knowledge which I add to my collection of little ideas.

For example, if I am comfortable with Delta, I may still use MAs and Trend Line Breaks, but place greater significance if there is a MA crossover / TLB at Delta Turning Points, and be more liberal with my stops at other times.
Also, perhaps place one-off break-out trades around the Point 1 position, which supposedly give the biggest moves.
I have also read that the indices may not be the best way of using Delta, and that the components, ie, stocks, or commodities, may be more accurate. I will pursue this.

My preference is Short Term Delta.

I dont know about law and copyright (Delta being patented), but I would like to have a Delta thread, where people can post their solutions. (a previous poster has remarked on the subjectivity, which could be resolved by sharing soolutions)

Astrology may have NO pattern whatsoever, but in doing the analysis, we may uncover some other significance. Astrology, in TOTAL, may be rubbish, but it may yield another little piece of the puzzle.
On its own, useless. But, in conjunction with other ideas, providing an edge.
Similarly with Delta.

hope the above makes sense.

PS: oh, sorry frugi (getting your sex wrong) !!

trendie said:
mofo,

I am comfortable with my MA - not brilliant, but it chugs away in the background, generating small but consistent profits.
I have the time to play with new ideas.
I consider myself open-minded, and will apply an idea MYSELF, and make up my OWN mind whether it has value.
Sometimes an idea may not work in total, but I can still come away with some little nugget of knowledge which I add to my collection of little ideas.

For example, if I am comfortable with Delta, I may still use MAs and Trend Line Breaks, but place greater significance if there is a MA crossover / TLB at Delta Turning Points, and be more liberal with my stops at other times.
Also, perhaps place one-off break-out trades around the Point 1 position, which supposedly give the biggest moves.
I have also read that the indices may not be the best way of using Delta, and that the components, ie, stocks, or commodities, may be more accurate. I will pursue this.

My preference is Short Term Delta.

I dont know about law and copyright (Delta being patented), but I would like to have a Delta thread, where people can post their solutions. (a previous poster has remarked on the subjectivity, which could be resolved by sharing soolutions)

Astrology may have NO pattern whatsoever, but in doing the analysis, we may uncover some other significance. Astrology, in TOTAL, may be rubbish, but it may yield another little piece of the puzzle.
On its own, useless. But, in conjunction with other ideas, providing an edge.
Similarly with Delta.

hope the above makes sense.

PS: oh, sorry frugi (getting your sex wrong) !!

Hi Trendie

Very interesting, thanks, and totally agree with you on the open mind thing. I wasn't aware of the issues re indices / stocks / commodities. I personally found it too hit & miss, with the various qualifications & the fact that you could never be really sure about your solution unless you bought further and further into the delta marketing machine. I'd equally be interested in a discussion on this topic. However as i've said before, those who know most about it are reluctant to discuss, whether for copyright or other reasons i know not. Certainly the owners / controllers of Delta would appear to be hyper sensitive to open discussion about it.