Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

I'm sure that our own government could apply a rigorous Australian style points system as to whether this foreign plague will be admitted or not

One can imagine ....

Target - 250 points.

Infects and high fatality to elderly pensioners ... 50 points.
Infects and high fatality to malnourished jobseekers ... 50 points.
Infects and high fatality to the very young in poorer families on welfare ... 50 points.
High fatality to those with pre-existing expensive to treat medical conditions ... 50 points.
Low fatality to taxpayers in blue collar workforce ... 50 points.

:devilish:

Iran and the wider Middle East could become the new epicenter for the virus.
Italy is troublesome given that the whole of Europe has no borders.
South Korea another hotspot.
Just wait while the US catches up.

It's looking like shorts all the way from here on.

I suspect the central banks will offer some stimulus soon in a half arsed attempt to limit the economic damage. This policy will undoubtedly fail because the global supply chains and travel will be massively affected.

I don't disagree with you CV and my view was exactly the same.

But the Fed cutting rates and other central banks likely to follow suit ...

The markets like it .... FTSE bouncing from 6,400 to 6,800 this week.

Are we just waiting for the next wave down? Seems like a lot of indecision out there.

Just the facts mam.
TOTAL deaths in China this year from Coronavirus 2,946.
Population of China 1,386,000,000
As a percentage of population 0.000,002 %

Deaths in the US in 2018 from "The flu" 80,000.
Population of US 327,000,000 (in 2018)
As a percentage of the population 0.000,2%

It's nowhere near as deadly as previous flu viruses.

Why dont the BBC broadcast FACTS instead of scare stories? Anyone remember when the BBC motto was "Inform, educate and entertain"?

Just the facts mam.
TOTAL deaths in China this year from Coronavirus 2,946.
Population of China 1,386,000,000
As a percentage of population 0.000,002 %

Deaths in the US in 2018 from "The flu" 80,000.
Population of US 327,000,000 (in 2018)
As a percentage of the population 0.000,2%

It's nowhere near as deadly as previous flu viruses.

Why dont the BBC broadcast FACTS instead of scare stories? Anyone remember when the BBC motto was "Inform, educate and entertain"?

Because UKGov doesn't know the long term effects of this bio-weapon/hazard, think of it in terms of SARS but not as easily contained (it's related to SARS). Also, UKGov will know the origin of the virus and how it has escaped into the wild. Assuming it is a bio-weapons grade virus from the originating Canadian lab, then there will be some squeaky crackholes about who is responsible, who is to blame and who will stump up the $billions in class action lawsuits when the truth finally outs.

The death rate is low, so nothing to worry about (unless families want recompense for their loved one's shuffling off too early), however......the unknown unknowns......for the rest of us, think of the long term implications.

The legals must already be in gear thinking about how to wriggle out of the legal consequences.

The legal vultures must be licking their beaks on the likelihood of many legal actions in the future. Or could it be a pharmaceutical company about to announce an expensive cure ? yes capitalism is amoral.

According to Chinese researchers, there seem to be two types of Corvid-19, 'L-type' & 'S-type'.
Most cases are of the more aggressive 'L' strain.
They anticipate discovering further variants as research continues.

:unsure:

Sainsbury's in Paignton, Devon is out of bog roll. I blame c_v and his panic buying!

Sainsbury's in Paignton, Devon is out of bog roll. I blame c_v and his panic buying!
Solution (traditional):
Buy Telegraph (see above), cut into squares, thread on string and hang near loo.
'a better class of bog-paper'

Solution 2:
Use Flybe share certificates as greener alternative to more valuable newspaper.

;)

All that wiping, we will rid the UK of both strains before it's begun (here's hoping) :D

Front to back, or back to front, that is the question!

You know how we give names to storms? Why don't we give names to pandemics?

What with the near collapse of aviation, reduced manufacturing in China, self-isolating resulting in less driving, is this causing reduced production of harmful CO2?

I propose to name this pandemic Greta "be careful what you wish for" Thunberg.

Nobody buys bog rolls from Sainsbury's
Get down the Aldi....they have a bog roll mountain.
At Lidl and Asda in South London this morning, the mountain had become a hillock by mid-morning and at Asda it was a molehill by 3pm. I can only think that supplies are holding out in CV's neck of the wastelands due the denizens being less full of shit.

At Lidl and Asda in South London this morning, the mountain had become a hillock by mid-morning and at Asda it was a molehill by 3pm. I can only think that supplies are holding out in CV's neck of the wastelands due the denizens being less full of shit.
Conversely, I was encouraged to see that stocks of essential liquids seem to be holding up quite well and was therefore able to add to my long position in Pinot Noir at a reasonable price - just under six squid a lot. The St Emilion is a little dearer but imho represents good value.