ART - not just pretty pics

The great thing about art is that anybody can indulge themselves, however bad the drawing etc. Slop on the paints and voila.
You're right Pat, unfortunately. Most amateur painters do an appalling disservice to art - in the way that most amateur gardeners do the exact opposite to horticulture. If people take personal pleasure from doing it, that's okay I suppose, but 99% of it should never go on public display and will end up in land fill - which is where it belongs.

Now, you might be thinking that I'm sounding like a bit of an art snob. And if you are, pat yourself on the back Pat (aka Pat patting), 'cos you're absolutely right!
:p

A lot of people look at pictures like " The Scream " and think the standards are so low they can compete. Well good for them. May they have fun.

You're right Pat, unfortunately. Most amateur painters do an appalling disservice to art - in the way that most amateur gardeners do the exact opposite to horticulture. If people take personal pleasure from doing it, that's okay I suppose, but 99% of it should never go on public display and will end up in land fill - which is where it belongs.

Now, you might be thinking that I'm sounding like a bit of an art snob. And if you are, pat yourself on the back Pat (aka Pat patting), 'cos you're absolutely right!

How can you say something like this? :rolleyes:

What's your middle name Dante? Judge, Jury and Executioneer. :whistling

Tut tut tut...

How can you say something like this? :rolleyes:

What's your middle name Dante? Judge, Jury and Executioneer. :whistling

Tut tut tut...
Hi Atilla,
Regarding the subject of art and only on the subject of art, I plead guilty on all counts. Rest assured that in all other respects and on all other topics, I strive to be open minded, moderate and humble.
Tim.

Art is about seeing things in different ways, both objectively and subjectively by the artist and some viewers. Just occasionally a super nova appears. Too often a chic new artist comes along who becomes fashionable and should have stayed in her messed up bed like Ms T Emintrude.

Hi Atilla,
Regarding the subject of art and only on the subject of art, I plead guilty on all counts. Rest assured that in all other respects and on all other topics, I strive to be open minded, moderate and humble.
Tim.

a dead flower
a frown
hazy clouds and smoke
all things so beautiful to me
strangely perfect in their ways
I don't see beauty or romance in a red rose
I don't see true happiness in a smile
some like to mold beauty
and form it to their own
but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
and cannot be drawn in stone

;)

Last edited:
I was pondering about Banksy and his art.

Is it actually his art that is the beauty we like to look at? To me it looks a bit like a GCSE card board cut out with some spray can paint work.

Is it the message he tries to convey and communicate. A topical statement. As they say in creative writing classes, don't tell it, show it.

Is it the location, his canvas that's the rare unusual attraction. Some might think sketches in public toilets are a work of art with the picturesque inginuity of the message they explicitly communicate.

Is it the illegality of doing what is not the done thing.

Is it the thrill of being in the shadows. The mystery of it all. Who is the body behind the work?

Is it graphitie for the intellectuals?

I wonder what our historic artists would think of Banksy's work?

14497_graffiti.jpg

A true sibling of art is poetry.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.

You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough.

A true sibling of art is poetry.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.

You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough.

Very powerful words to digest there. Pondered over them for a full minute or two.

Isn't art what gives one joy. The more people who absorb that joy and revisit the moment's reflection, makes that piece of art ever more popular.

A word commonly used these days is connection. Through art dispersed people can then connect on a thought and yet be unaware of that very connection. In almost touches on the concept of universal humanity.

Even where two people like very much a work of art and another two people dislike intensely there becomes a focal point of connection and flow of communication on that piece of art.

Art enriches our World and I'm sure these sparks probably flew from the first cave drawings and their subsequent discovery by other beasts.

Banksy's art is not too far from caveman's when one thinks about it.

As you rightly say whether it is a poem or a novel or a painting or any form of creation can become art at one respect or another. Why restrict beauty to any shape or form.

:love::love::love::love:

Apologies if I'm about to offend learned friends on T2W but my sympathies do lie with timsk on this subject. The retired baby boomers in the market town where I live have plenty of time on their hands to indulge in their hobbies and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc. I always visit their local exhibitions and as amateurs they are in fact pretty good, but it's always the same sort of numbness and boring style – only occasionally do you see a picture that stands out with originality and lurking talent.

I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame. Am I another art snob? – I try not to be mainly because I don't know enough about art to qualify and I have absolutely no drawing or painting ability whatsoever. All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation

But it is good to see people expressing themselves through art – I have friends who are professional and amateur artists and they are all interesting people whose lives have been greatly enriched with their art. My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?

Apologies if I'm about to offend learned friends on T2W but my sympathies do lie with timsk on this subject. The retired baby boomers in the market town where I live have plenty of time on their hands to indulge in their hobbies and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc. I always visit their local exhibitions and as amateurs they are in fact pretty good, but it's always the same sort of numbness and boring style – only occasionally do you see a picture that stands out with originality and lurking talent.

I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame. Am I another art snob? – I try not to be mainly because I don't know enough about art to qualify and I have absolutely no drawing or painting ability whatsoever. All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation

But it is good to see people expressing themselves through art – I have friends who are professional and amateur artists and they are all interesting people whose lives have been greatly enriched with their art. My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?

To know what art YOU really like is probably enough.
I also am hopeless at drawing. Earlier I asked if anyone knew of an aid to half decent drawing and yes someone did.
I am wondering if I can really justify the expense. I also have views but I can't put the image down on paper well enough to be satisfactory.

... My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?

As long as the water doesn't stop coming out when you start singing you're probably ok. :cheesy:

To know what art YOU really like is probably enough.
I also am hopeless at drawing. Earlier I asked if anyone knew of an aid to half decent drawing and yes someone did.
I am wondering if I can really justify the expense. I also have views but I can't put the image down on paper well enough to be satisfactory.

Go to the library and get a book on sketching.

Start by studying one object. Animals usually good to work on.

Sketch the pet at rest. Scrible what you see and hey presto. Doesn't have to look like your dog just resemble. That'll do.

Then take a photo and hoist it up here... :idea:

Go to the library and get a book on sketching.

Start by studying one object. Animals usually good to work on.

Sketch the pet at rest. Scrible what you see and hey presto. Doesn't have to look like your dog just resemble. That'll do.

Then take a photo and hoist it up here... :idea:

Will think on it. So don't hold yer breath as they say.

:eek:

. . . and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc.
:LOL:
. I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame.
:LOL::LOL:
. . . . All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation.
Yes sminicooper, that's clear from the images you've posted of the prints you collect.
. . . .My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?
Ain't that the truth.
Where I live, a few months back, the local Arts & Crafts Association held their bi-annual exhibition in the village community centre. What struck me about it was that the standard of painting was predictably abysmal, whereas, the standard of craftwork was the exact opposite. I recall some lovely quilts and pottery in particular. And herein lies the rub. To execute most crafts well, a basic level of proficiency needs to be attained. You can't just chuck a lump of clay on a potters wheel and hope for the best. But that's pretty much what many amateur artists do when applying oil or acrylic on canvas or watercolour to a - soon to be disappointed - sheet of Fabriano Artistico. This even applies to the ones trying to paint figuratively - usually landscapes. It's the painting equivalent of trading on a hunch: 'it looked like it was going to go up so I went long'. And we all know how that turns out. If amateur painters went about their business with a modicum of discipline, as exhibited by the potters and quilt makers then, pretty much overnight, the standard of work would rise exponentially.

Needless to say all really good artists do exactly this. Of the big name contemporary British artists, the best exponent of this that I'm aware of is Grayson Perry. He's a shining example of what can be achieved when great intelligence, great artistic talent and great craftsmanship are all combined. For anyone who missed it, this series provides a fantastic insight into how he works to produce some truly fantantic work. And yes, he's a former Turner Prize winner!
Tim.

Grayson Perry : Who Are You 1of3 (Documentary)

I was pondering about Banksy and his art.

Is it actually his art that is the beauty we like to look at? To me it looks a bit like a GCSE card board cut out with some spray can paint work.

Is it the message he tries to convey and communicate. A topical statement. As they say in creative writing classes, don't tell it, show it.

Is it the location, his canvas that's the rare unusual attraction. Some might think sketches in public toilets are a work of art with the picturesque inginuity of the message they explicitly communicate.

Is it the illegality of doing what is not the done thing.

Is it the thrill of being in the shadows. The mystery of it all. Who is the body behind the work?

Is it graphitie for the intellectuals?

I wonder what our historic artists would think of Banksy's work?

I don't know. The first time I saw his work was when I lived in Camden - I didn't know who the artist was and if it was art, but I somehow liked it . They painted it over afterwards, so maybe they think it's nothing special, no art?

Attachments

• camden.jpg
    camden.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 167
I don't know. The first time I saw his work was when I lived in Camden - I didn't know who the artist was and if it was art, but I somehow liked it . They painted it over afterwards, so maybe they think it's nothing special, no art?

Either it was not an original or they are regretting it. :rolleyes:

Who ever decided to paint over was obviously not in the intellectual category to appreciate graffitie art...

Some peoples senses are dead as door nails to think they know what art is and what it is not. :whistling