ART - not just pretty pics

sminicooper

Experienced member
1,148 326
Jimmy Page's stuff

Enough of all the Brexit nonsense! Very interesting interview on BBC Today programme this morning with Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page – all about his Burne-Jones pre-raphaelite tapestries now on view at Tate Britain.

He talks about his time as an art student and being unable to afford a couple of hundred quid for something that is now extremely valuable!

View attachment Led Zep Jimmy Page.mp3

Burne-Jones The Golden Stairs.JPG
holy grail.JPG

timsk

Legendary member
6,938 1,812
Hi Pat,
I found this on YouTube and thought of you - I think you'll like it. I actually agree with many of the points made; certainly there's a lot of bad modern art but, as I make clear in the comments section - it's not all bad. Anyway, enjoy . . .

Reactions: tomorton

Pat494

Legendary member
13,491 1,332
Hi Pat,
I found this on YouTube and thought of you - I think you'll like it. I actually agree with many of the points made; certainly there's a lot of bad modern art but, as I make clear in the comments section - it's not all bad. Anyway, enjoy . . .

Thanks Tim for such an educational and informed video. The lad seems to have rumbled the BS of modern art.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,491 1,332
I found this video about AI " art " interesting.
The phrase " monkeys could have done better " though does spring to mind.

tomorton

Legendary member
7,231 963
Hi Pat,

I sympathise with his socio-political analysis, and a lot of his argument as to why modern art is as it is and why it is revered. But I don't think he understands much about the point of art in the wider sense - he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

Reactions: timsk

Pat494

Legendary member
13,491 1,332
he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

Good art in my book is that which is pleasing to the senses or clever.
Much of old art doesn't fit this analysis either.
I look at the stolid and boring old masters' art and see nothing aesthetically pleasing. They may have values on them of multi millions but not for me.

timsk

Legendary member
6,938 1,812
I sympathise with his socio-political analysis, and a lot of his argument as to why modern art is as it is and why it is revered. But I don't think he understands much about the point of art in the wider sense - he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.
Yeah, spot on Tom. Fair play to Paul Joseph Watson though - he's done a great job of picking some really bad examples of modern art and providing a sound rationale as to why they're bad - albeit one that's infused with a (right wing) political agenda.
Tim.

timsk

Legendary member
6,938 1,812
he knows bad art but he doesn't convey any understanding why good art is good.

Good art in my book is that which is pleasing to the senses or clever.
Much of old art doesn't fit this analysis either.
I look at the stolid and boring old masters' art and see nothing aesthetically pleasing. They may have values on them of multi millions but not for me.
Hi Pat,
I've absolutely no beef with your choice of art - you like what you like and loathe what you loathe. That's fine. However, a purely subjective opinion is no way to assess whether or not art is any good (or not) or, even, if it warrants the label of art. After all, what you find pleasing to the senses or clever - I might think is puke making and stupid - and vice versa of course.
Tim.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,491 1,332
Each to their own obviously but I can't help thinking that the huge prices for modern art is just a fad bubble.
One day it will burst and their prices will tumble.

Reactions: tomorton

2,219 553
Here's a nice seasonal picture! (regret colours not reproduced absolutely right - but you get the idea)

Nocturnal Tree.JPG

Reactions: Sharky

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,364 1,181
There's a Pierre Bonnard exhibition at Tate Modern from Jan 23rd. Some of his work was superb, with his use of colour opening up new insights and sensations. Worth a visit for the open minded and curious.

2,219 553
Well, we've all had enough of looking at Westminster TV's ya-boo chamber! Here's a much nicer view from a distance with the added benefit of a moat to keep those pesky MPs well away.

1552671161454.png

"Decisions" by Max Angus

Reactions: Atilla