ART - not just pretty pics

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
Hi Pat,
Well, without wishing to cast aspersions on smini's artistic abilities, I would be happy to engage in the following test. Actually, it can apply to anyone - not just smini'. . .

1. Pick an artist that you think is rubbish, devoid of any artistic merit or skill. One whose work you think you could equal with ease.
2. You do your version of their inane crap and then insert it among real paintings by that artist.
3. With the exception of some minimalist and conceptual artists (think Carl Andre's 'Equivalent VIII'), I'll pick out your painting from the real Pollock, Picasso, Dubuffet - or whichever artist you choose.

The slight problem with this test is that it may prove difficult to get your fake Pollock (or whoever) in a gallery along side the genuine paintings. So, I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it that I'd be able to pick out your impostor piece every time - in no time at all!
;)
Tim.
Ha ha I had a feeling that you would rise to the bait.
Not quite a fair test if I may point out that say 9 pictures by the crap artist will look similiar and the tenth whether better or worse will look different. So you are on fairly safe ground.
I have however an oil painting that is a copy of a Monet. It is as good as the original. I will try to take a photo of it and see what you think.

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
Ha ha I had a feeling that you would rise to the bait.
Not quite a fair test if I may point out that say 9 pictures by the crap artist will look similiar and the tenth whether better or worse will look different. So you are on fairly safe ground.
I have however an oil painting that is a copy of a Monet. It is as good as the original. I will try to take a photo of it and see what you think.
Ooops I forgot the copy isn't here at the moment.

cantagril

Feb 5, 2012
I loved the clip in Crocodile Dundee (which I can't find a link to sorry) where...

Art Expert admiring spotty disaster in the Tate exclaims " Jackson Pollock ".
Paul Hogan happens to be standing next to him for a moment replies " Nah it's not that bad mate"
'twas indeed Paul Hogan but on that occasion he was acting as Australia's Cultural Ambassador:

cantagril

Feb 5, 2012
Lol well found, but that's an advert spin-off of the original, which I don't have to hand and so cant prove. Fiddling details which wouldn't stop a Trump.
You might well be right but I have absolutely no recollection of that at all. Mind you, even yesterday's a little hazy.

I shall watch the film/s again. The things I do in the name of art....:rolleyes:

PS: Just discovered that there are 3!! Was only dimly aware that there were two. I'm going out now and I may be some time......

Last edited:

cantagril

Feb 5, 2012
Re Crocodile Dundee and Pollocks:

Lol well found, but that's an advert spin-off of the original, which I don't have to hand and so cant prove. Fiddling details which wouldn't stop a Trump.
You might well be right but I have absolutely no recollection of that at all.
Have just watched One and Two so the scene (call me Sherlock) must be in Three....
Need a short respite as I'm suffering from croc fatigue.

peto

Dec 12, 2002
Lincoln
lol I'm beginning to worry you might be right! Hope you are not losing good trading time. Obviously you should send me the bill for lost profits/ opportunity costs. (c/o HMP Birmingham)

timsk

Mar 18, 2002
Granted, the Croc' Dundee / Foster ad' is very funny but, at the risk of sounding really, really nerdy, I don't think Paul Hogan was being true to character. Behind the tough, macho, croc' fighting exterior, lies a sensitive man who is in touch with the environment and very understanding and appreciative of Aboriginal culture. As such, (although this isn't shown in the movies), he would almost certainly be familiar with their artwork, much of which is abstract in nature. (As an aside, for anyone who finds it difficult to enjoy and appreciate abstract art, do look at good examples of Aboriginal art, some of which are staggeringly beautiful.) The irony here is that, although I don't know this for certain, I'd happy wager that Jackson Pollock was very familiar with - and influenced by - Aboriginal art. It's as obvious to me as, say, Oasis fans detecting the influence of the Beatles in their songs.
Tim.

Last edited:

cantagril

Feb 5, 2012
lol I'm beginning to worry you might be right! Hope you are not losing good trading time. Obviously you should send me the bill for lost profits/ opportunity costs. (c/o HMP Birmingham)
Well, I've now watched CD3 and am now definitely crocked out.....no sign of a Jackson Pollock oeuvre anywhere. As for your offer of compensation: that's another matter entirely - my "lost profits/opportunity costs" are astronomical on a normal day so all gifts will be gratefully received. Let me know when you've finished working your magic in that Brummie slammer and we'll talk again:p

cantagril

Feb 5, 2012
Granted, the Croc' Dundee / Foster ad' is very funny but, at the risk of sounding really, really nerdy, I don't think Paul Hogan was being true to character. Behind the tough, macho, croc' fighting exterior, lies a sensitive man who is in touch with the environment and very understanding and appreciative of Aboriginal culture. As such, (although this isn't shown in the movies), he would almost certainly be familiar with their artwork, much of which is abstract in nature. (As an aside, for anyone who finds it difficult to enjoy and appreciate abstract art, do look at good examples of Aboriginal art, some of which are staggeringly beautiful.) The irony here is that, although I don't know this for certain, I'd happy wager that Jackson Pollock was very familiar with - and influenced by - Aboriginal art. It's as obvious to me as, say, Oasis fans detecting the influence of the Beatles in their songs.
Tim.
Rest assured Timsk, it doesn't sound in the slightest bit nerdy! ....quite deranged and possibly symptomatic of a serious personality disorder but nerdy, never.....:D