Are there more than 2 styles of trading?

I have a question about the way different traders approach learning how to trade.

I hear people talk about a discretionary or intuitive type of trading, and I wonder, is it similar to learning to play a musical intrument by ear? - by feeling the sound and by imitating the postures and riffs of competent players. There is a open approach that is driven by the players need to experience the music, and an assumption that competence will come. These musicians sound a little sloppy when starting out, but they are quickly playing recognizable tunes that make you tap your foot. Later they can hear a piece of music once, and play it just because it's fun on any of 4 or 5 instruments. Sometimes even after years they can't read music to save their life - don't even know the names of the notes.....

Other people seem to be more into the maths, the probabilities - similar to learning to play 'mary had a little lamb' with only the right hand by reading music? Then using that as a building block to add one little degree of difficulty with each piece of new music the instructor gives them. This seems more driven by the players need for competence, and assumption that the feeling will come. They progress more slowly - their playing is childish and mechanical at the start, but if they stick with it - their steady progress takes them to concert quality within their area of expertise. They've got 30 pieces ready for performance at any given time. Sometimes even after years they can't pick out a simple melody line by ear to save their life - wouldn't know a hot blues lick if it hit them in the face......

Both can result in competent musicians, but they tend to have different choices about what they choose to play, styles and methods, and the reason they choose to play at all.

Are their other styles of trading as well? Maybe you have a different metaphor? I'm sure it's not always either/or. But a bit of mix and match?

JO

Excellent insight, JumpOff.

Left-brainers = rigid, analytical, mathematical.
Right-brainers = musical, intuitive, emotional.

I wonder if intuitive types are more confident of themselves, and feel a sense of "competence" in themselves, that allows them to trade in that way.
And that analytical types lack inner confidence, and seek outside confirmation of their abilities, through numbers, analysis, etc.

An interesting way of looking at it , but I think there are several variations between the two 'extremes' because people aren't so black and white in character.
For example men and multi-tasking. Some can't at all, but that doesn't mean all men can't.

JumpOff 1. said:
I have a question about the way different traders approach learning how to trade.

2.Are their other styles of trading as well? Maybe you have a different metaphor? I'm sure it's not always either/or. But a bit of mix and match?

JO
I assume your basic inquire is about learning? opposed to trading styles?

I think all learning begins as a structerd repetition.(probabilitys) To build a base in which to launch from.
As that base of learning grows, it is only natural to test the boundaries of what has been learned, when those boundaries are prodded, one begins to understand the power of "intuition".(judgement)

Intuition is a lonely game, a student lives and dies by it. To live by intuition, a student needs to revisit their base of structured learning often, in order to keep mentally fit , and expand their boundaries.

I wonder if intuitive types are more confident of themselves, and feel a sense of "competence" in themselves, that allows them to trade in that way.
And that analytical types lack inner confidence, and seek outside confirmation of their abilities, through numbers, analysis, etc.

Apart from the very rare gifted, natural born trader who can possibly trade intuitively in the zone ( under it, on top of it, outside it standing on his head while drinking beer at the same time ), I would say that most intuitive traders only come to that level after a very prolonged period in which they go down the analytical route and thoroughly master the trading profession ( if it is one ) from a technical viewpoint first.