Anyone trade purely based on news only ?

JP1966 said:
You won't make money out of this unless you invest in good news servies though. Use your price provider for just that. You must invest in good news sources. It is also a waste of time unless you have the fastest possible connection.

is that a reply to me? This is only one of the strategies I trade at my company and yes, there is def a limit to the amount that you can make purely due to lack of liquidity aroudn these times and seeing as this is arbitrage .. it will not be aroudn for ever so might as well make hay while the sun shines (or however the saying goes).

And at you say, I def woudln't try this at home on a adsl conection, depending on your broker, you coudl be in for a shafting. You're gonna want the news to get to you as soon as the market makers get them.

sccz97 ,

$10-50M notional

Is that the contract size which you are allowed to control based on what you have in the account or is that what you have in the account?

JP1966 said:
How do you only do half a yard a month then?!

there are only a handful of figures that I trade and of course not every single one is worth trading. I'm not gonna risk trading a figure that came out just as expected. There are only 10-15 good opportunities per month.

sccz97 said:
is that a reply to me? This is only one of the strategies I trade at my company and yes, there is def a limit to the amount that you can make purely due to lack of liquidity aroudn these times and seeing as this is arbitrage .. it will not be aroudn for ever so might as well make hay while the sun shines (or however the saying goes).

And at you say, I def woudln't try this at home on a adsl conection, depending on your broker, you coudl be in for a shafting. You're gonna want the news to get to you as soon as the market makers get them.

It wasn't to you but to Baruch, suggesting he invests in a good news feed. If I inadvertently offended anyone that was not my intention and I apogise!

sccz97 said:
there are only a handful of figures that I trade and of course not every single one is worth trading. I'm not gonna risk trading a figure that came out just as expected. There are only 10-15 good opportunities per month.

Do you only trade the news? Do you also trade the rebound after a big move- like in GBP right now?

Baruch said:
What went wrong?

I shorted euro dollar on the nfp and made okay profit. Then got long at the top as thought 1.24 would break but was wrong. Rest of the afternoon wasn't much better - sh*t happens!

JP1966 said:
It wasn't to you but to Baruch, suggesting he invests in a good news feed. If I inadvertently offended anyone that was not my intention and I apogise!

OK. I will first try to check Dow Jones. Maybe it's my connection which are too slow.

Dow Jones is awful - it is not your connection - there is a delay of at least 2-3 seconds although they will deny this. I used to have it. It might as well be a delay of 10 minutes if you are trading figures.

JP1966 said:

heh... don't worry .. I dn't get offended that eas ylike some ppl seem to on these kinda forums, no need to apologise

Baruch said:
Do you only trade the news? Do you also trade the rebound after a big move- like in GBP right now?

this is only one strategy that I trade and def one of the more profitable form win/loss perspective. I do trade the rebound but in a diff way as it's never guranteed

Based on news alone requires the ability to discern, to differentiate between fact and fiction.

Take the professions in London for example. If you were a youngster choosing a career, and you walked around the areas and the borders around the Strand, you can see many professionals, having to go through years of exams, tests, etc. And after they got into their seemingly glamorous profession, working in expensive posh buildings and offices, many have to eke out a living.

Does someone choosing a profession have the ability to know what is profitable?

Then lets say you walk along some old, looked like torn down buildings along say, Chiswick, W4. The workers or whatever they are known as, don't look like professionals, don't look glamorous, don't look like anything which a career-seeker would think of as anywhere near "professional". Then, let's say you are curious, you look at their 52 page brochure, you look at how many times a year they seem to be working, about 3 times, and you look at their Total Sale for each time they appear to work, about £650,000. And their commission charged on that amount, about 30%. Multiply that by 3

ie. £650,000 x 3 x 30% = £585,000 a year.

Their facilities, office in a building that looks very old, ancient, unimaginably unprofessional.

How many know how to differentiate between fact and fiction? How many in this forum knows who really is a professional trader just by reading what is posted here, in a forum usually haunted by kids pretending to be adults (or the other way round)?

JP1966 said:
I shorted euro dollar on the nfp and made okay profit. Then got long at the top as thought 1.24 would break but was wrong. Rest of the afternoon wasn't much better - sh*t happens!

I stayed out of nfp this month, too close. Had much more luck on the cad emp figure. nfp is pants nowadays, I remember last august when it gapped 200+pips, those were the days :(

Many ppl were using the simple straddle strategy to great effect and started complaining when dealers woudln't honour stops under those circumstances.

JP1966 said:
Dow Jones is awful - it is not your connection - there is a delay of at least 2-3 seconds although they will deny this. I used to have it. It might as well be a delay of 10 minutes if you are trading figures.

OK. I didn't knew.

Anonymous said:
Based on news alone requires the ability to discern, to differentiate between fact and fiction.

Take the professions in London for example. If you were a youngster choosing a career, and you walked around the areas and the borders around the Strand, you can see many professionals, having to go through years of exams, tests, etc. And after they got into their seemingly glamorous profession, working in expensive posh buildings and offices, many have to eke out a living.

Does someone choosing a profession have the ability to know what is profitable?

Then lets say you walk along some old, looked like torn down buildings along say, Chiswick, W4. The workers or whatever they are known as, don't look like professionals, don't look glamorous, don't look like anything which a career-seeker would think of as anywhere near "professional". Then, let's say you are curious, you look at their 52 page brochure, you look at how many times a year they seem to be working, about 3 times, and you look at their Total Sale for each time they appear to work, about £650,000. And their commission charged on that amount, about 30%. Multiply that by 3

ie. £650,000 x 3 x 30% = £585,000 a year.

Their facilities, office in a building that looks very old, ancient, unimaginably unprofessional.

How many know how to differentiate between fact and fiction? How many in this forum knows who really is a professional trader just by reading what is posted here, in a forum usually haunted by kids pretending to be adults (or the other way round)?

I'm takign that as a stab at me.

I watched the Cad figures last Friday at midday Uk time- it only jumped 15 or so pips and that was before the figures came out on bloomberg, reuters or mni. It then retraced most of the move before going up again. It certainly did not gap more than 30 pips on the release....

JP1966 said:
I watched the Cad figures last Friday at midday Uk time- it only jumped 15 or so pips and that was before the figures came out on bloomberg, reuters or mni. It then retraced most of the move before going up again. It certainly did not gap more than 30 pips on the release....

unfortunately the application i use to grab the data from reuters was being fixed on friday so I had to rely on bloomberg for the figure (which i usually don't for cad figures) I can guarantee that the emplymeent change figure came out on bloomerg before the gap. whilst the initial move was nohing spectacular, it was a great opportunity to bank % and let the rest run hoping nfp would provide an extra boost (which is did). What you must realise is that I don't rely on reading the actual headline. I use the bloomberg api to retrieve the figure and the api is on occasion faster at retreiving the result that the headline. Bloomberg is very inconsistent with it's method of transport. Next time there's a figure, put NH, CN for the ticker and eco for the country and you'll see the reuslt come up at diff times, diffenret each month for each figure.

JP1966 said:
You won't make money out of this unless you invest in good news servies though. Use your price provider for just that. You must invest in good news sources. It is also a waste of time unless you have the fastest possible connection.

How much does it cost?

Thanks - I thought you said you just trade the intial move though and square up pretty quick afterwrds.

We have a different trading style as I would not have any position prior to a big announcment. Not saying my way is better though, just different.

JP1966 said:

Why did you go long with a good NFP number?