Anyone still uses James16 Price Action?

Just joined T2W on the back of this amusing thread- and I know i am resurrecting an old thread but, for anyone looking at this as a newbie, Dionysus is talking a bit of rubbish.

Price Action relies on Confluence. So ANY price action is only based on the 'data' you feed into it. Pin bars in the middle of a trend is not a sign of reversal. Unless you are hitting support/resistance and maybe supply and demand, but even then you need to understand the SENTIMENT behind both the move and the individual bars/formations

So let us look at the price action that is developing…the green bar and the 2 big red candles start the move – which in price action terms is a three outside down formation – indicating the trend is reversing/has reversed, so now it is heading downwards. It then hits some support and resistance (just need to look left on the chart to see this, so there is indecision in the market – a good push downwards, momentum is waning as people wait to see what will happen. In this example, you would not rely on the Pin bar, as it provides no sentiment in the context – it is divergent from the overall sentiment in the market (albeit a bearish pin bar). Pin bars are best used at tops and bottoms. This example is neither….. It is consolidation mode, representing a bit of indecision. Any PA trader would be mad to look at the pin bar and jump in here… unless you look slightly deeper…. Hence your next picture…

What do we have here… It’s our old friend a THREE OUTSIDE DOWN Formation… green candle up and two red candles down. Or you could even say that looking at 2 candles it is a bearish engulfing candle… HELLO!!!! Is that perhaps CONFLUENCE OF PRICE ACTION??? As I say though, there is still indecision (I believe that you have gone to a smaller timeframe, which you would have been better to go to a HIGHER timeframe to see the overview of the PA, so I would still not act off this set up…

Then, we look at the No pin bar! Formation… Yep you are right, NO PIN BAR signalling a reversal, however there are more PA formations that just Pin bars that signal a change in trend (however wait a couple of sentences…) and this could be considered either a piercing line, or a bullish Inside bar.. however, when you combine the two together, what do you get… let’s look at what happens…the opening of the red candle…. A long push downwards, a long push upwards and the closing of the green candle…. Holy mother of Mary… A PIN BAR AT THE BOTTOM OF A TREND (which I could probably GUARANTEE was a S/R or S/D area. What is more, I could probably guarantee that where the trend stalls on its way up after the pin bar is at the 0.382 and 0.618 Fib retracement levels… which again gives a bigger view of the whole Price action, cyclical, structural way the market moves….

Again, on the third picture, you would not be trying to trade the pin bar that is in heavy consolidation mode, as I say, I can pretty much guarantee that the move stopped on s/r and the market is deciding which way it should go… without the ability to look left, I have no way of confirming this, but hey ho… I think the point is clear, which is this:

Looking at one set of price action in isolation is like looking at a bolt from a car and deciding form that TINY bit of information whether it will go fast or not. PA shows sentiment, and looking in isolation can tell you something, but not the whole story. If you were to base your whole trading on one single candlestick, then you will be destined to fail, as it is only as good as the bars to the left. Price action is ABSOLUTELY a leading indicator. There is a reason why they are broken up into Strong/Medium/Weak indicators for future price movements. It is based on trader Sentiment, and sentiment is based more on just a candlestick.

Even in the picture of the multiple pin bars, it does not take a genius to see the pin bars at the tops and bottoms of the RANGE are accurate – it signals a BOUNCE off the support and resistance. It shows the sentiment that for candles of the PIN bars on the bottom of the range that the sellers want the price to go lower, so price is pushed downwards, however the sentiment of the buyers who come in and bring the price back UP is stronger, signalling that the market is not prepared to go lower YET…. It could signal the start of a reversal… moving upwards, and we would assess whether the range is broken, on confirmation of price action ABOVE the range, an dno I would not have taken the last green pin bar which did lead to the breaking of the support and resistance… although the last pin bar (which is more of a hammer, not a pin bar) would probably signal the price going higher as shown and a reaction to the new SUPPORT line.

In Bars are not the be all and end all in PA, they are just a very, very small part of it, and more to the point the James 16 thread (of the small bit I have read, and seen on the other site, that again I have not looked at in about 2 years) made quite clear that it is just ONE of a multitude of different approaches.

And when he says that PA is rubbish because it changes depending on the time frame…. Obviously he has never seen a downward trend on a low timeframe, despite the higher timeframe showing an uptrend… but how can that BE?? The trend should ALWAYS be the same on ALL time frames by his rationale…

No, there are downtrends within uptrends and vice versa… and there is PA within PA.

Actually, price action has nothing to do with patterns, candle or otherwise, nor candles, as far as that goes, given that whatever candle pattern one thinks one sees will vanish once the interval is changed, e.g., from 15m to 1m, nor even bars. Price action has to do with the movement of price and how that movement informs the trader as to the choices, the behavior, of other traders and the shifting dominance of demand, or buying power, and supply, or selling power. And given the fact that price is continuous, it has nothing to do intervals: 1m, 5m, 15m etc. Trades occur continuously from the time the market opens until it closes (in the case of futures, from Sunday evening to the following Friday, all day, all night). All charts are therefore tick charts. 1t.

Therefore, if one's favorite guru is using indicators and/or a particular interval -- e.g., 5m -- and/or patterns and considers anything less than the interval he's chosen to be "noise", he's not "trading price"; he's trading indicators and patterns and bars (or candles). And one is not any more likely to find success down this road than on any other road or dead end he's traveled.

Db

Db, sounds a bit matrix to me, but the fact is that each candle shows where the sentiment lies, and which way the overall market sentiment thinks price will move (hence Price action). It would be probably truer to say you read price action than trade price action, and time is a relative concept.

Reading a candle shows you that sentiment and how much the market will carry on moving or stop and reverse.

There are reliable formations that show sentiment changing, whatever PERIOD you choose to look at, and the are all valid periods. It is not too difficult a concept to understand that a pin bar or inverted hammer at the top of a trend shows that price has gone high and has come back down - signalling a change in sentiment... profit taking, panic selling etc is all sentiment and leads you to be able to read the candles, and provide you with how price is moving.

There is no noise in the markets, you can still see morning and evening stars on the 1 min timeframe all the way through to monthly charts... all the differs is magnitude. the 1m charts and movements still feed into the 1 monthly... bit by bit, tick by tick...

You can squeeze down the entire history of price moving up and down into one big candle- it will still tell you where price is and where it has been!

The candle exists, however, only in a given interval. If one changes to a different interval, it disappears. If one wants to know the state of buying power vs selling power, he'll do better by looking within the candle. Or bar. Otherwise he may as well trade blindfolded, acting only when someone whips the blindfold away and he's left to guess what went on while he was blindfolded. The price action trader wants to know what's going on while he's blindfolded. He doesn't like surprises.

For example, the first chart below is an example of an ordinary tick chart.

The second chart divides some of these ticks into 1m intervals, the first of which is illustrated by both a bar and a candle. Some people will be satisfied with either. The price action trader won't.

The third chart shows what is illustrated by a single 5m bar (one can also plot a candle; doesn't matter). The price action trader wants to know what's going in "within" the bar as it can and often does provide him with a course of action.

Not everyone wants to know this stuff, of course, but those who claim to be price action traders and have no interest in this can't be considered price action traders. Why they would want to be is anybody's guess, though "price action" definitely sells.

Db

Attachments

• TicksB.png
    TicksB.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 237
  • TicksC.png
    TicksC.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 235
  • TicksDa.gif
    TicksDa.gif
    6 KB · Views: 229
Lets not kid ourselves, no one can pick tops and bottoms. You can get lucky that the market decided to follow the trend and react on support/resist. None of that is real, all of it is purely coincidence. The only true statement I trade by is to follow the trend.

I do not mean to sound like the idea of support/resist and tops and bottoms do not exist, I do not fully reject the idea of support/resist and tops and bottoms. I just do not support trading "it" as the market can do anything at any given time.

This mentality has served me well. How about you?

not true. in fact managed well it can offer huge rr and obvious negation point close by.

Only read the last couple of pages.i see an advantage in smaller timeframes, in being able to see more detail with which to construct interim support and resistance. These are m1 vs h2 (white circle) showing the same area. I could not take a trade without the level of info I get from the m1 chart. not using an m1 chart for me is like trying to see the detail in a picture without good enough light. there is less internal modelling on the higher tf

Attachments

• pa2.PNG
    pa2.PNG
    179.4 KB · Views: 232
  • pa1.PNG
    pa1.PNG
    118.1 KB · Views: 196
Only read the last couple of pages.i see an advantage in smaller timeframes, in being able to see more detail with which to construct interim support and resistance. These are m1 vs h2 (white circle) showing the same area. I could not take a trade without the level of info I get from the m1 chart. not using an m1 chart for me is like trying to see the detail in a picture without good enough light. there is less internal modelling on the higher tf

Fully agree with smaller times/price ticks.

But are you then taking the buy/sell in the 1 min time frame, then trying to capture the movement in the 2 hour chart.

more detail.
reply: im using larger tf for extended targets.
also currently beginning to examine more initial bars in trends for longevity hints. the pinbar thing... i dont understand why people dont dial down a tf or two. if the pin bar is showing clash of sellers/buyers etc, why not just look at it bar by bar in more detail. this also allows you to draw interim s/r from that detail. i simply do not see how i could trade without the advantage of the odd straight line from most recent price action

Attachments

• pa3.PNG
    pa3.PNG
    118.6 KB · Views: 199

But are you then taking the buy/sell in the 1 min time frame, then trying to capture the movement in the 2 hour chart.

No they don't bother running winners.

3 pips is a trend don't you know....F said so !

1 min drove me nuts! Price breaks out on any TF, I've found that much out and that is worth a lot of peace of mind! The cost is increased risk, so the stop distance is further away but I can handle that better than stops on 1 min charts.

1 min drove me nuts! Price breaks out on any TF, I've found that much out and that is worth a lot of peace of mind! The cost is increased risk, so the stop distance is further away but I can handle that better than stops on 1 min charts.

Depends in large part on whether one is trading price, indicators, or patterns. If one is trading price, it pays to focus on what those who are trading daily and hourly charts are looking at (if they're looking at charts at all) as they tend to belong to those groups who have the money to move price. If a trading opportunity presents itself on one or the other of those larger intervals, then finding an entry on the 1m makes sense. Otherwise, trading the 1m is pretty much guessing. One can try to "intuit" what traders in that interval are doing and want, but as they tend to focus on much smaller moves, one can easily slip into chop.

Db

Depends in large part on whether one is trading price, indicators, or patterns. If one is trading price, it pays to focus on what those who are trading daily and hourly charts are looking at (if they're looking at charts at all) as they tend to belong to those groups who have the money to move price. If a trading opportunity presents itself on one or the other of those larger intervals, then finding an entry on the 1m makes sense. Otherwise, trading the 1m is pretty much guessing. One can try to "intuit" what traders in that interval are doing and want, but as they tend to focus on much smaller moves, one can easily slip into chop.

Db

agreed and there and outlined procedures to avoid narrow ranging periods. also, worth noting that the same highs and lows exist on an m1 as they do on h1, just have to zoom out and note the greater levels.

agreed and there and outlined procedures to avoid narrow ranging periods. also, worth noting that the same highs and lows exist on an m1 as they do on h1, just have to zoom out and note the greater levels.

Well, yes and no. The high on the hourly will match at least one of the highs on the 1m. However, one won't know whether or not the hourly high was the true high until the next hourly bar, at which point it will most likely be too late to enter.

Which is where understanding support and resistance comes in. If for example one sees that sellers had trouble finding buyers at N on the hourly and price is approaching that level again, one can use the 1m to short on a subsequent failure.

Db

Well, yes and no. The high on the hourly will match at least one of the highs on the 1m. However, one won't know whether or not the hourly high was the true high until the next hourly bar, at which point it will most likely be too late to enter.

Which is where understanding support and resistance comes in. If for example one sees that sellers had trouble finding buyers at N on the hourly and price is approaching that level again, one can use the 1m to short on a subsequent failure.

Db

the bolded part becomes less relevant with F method as would be trading the next hoiurly bar on m1 using same principles of highs and lows etc that you speak of on greaterr timeframes, but with interim s/r on the way up to greater level.

I think James 16 is now a dinosaur on price action - and also very expensive, many people have refined the method since then and made it better. If you want to learn more about price action trading, then I recommend you go have a look at www.theforexguy.com

I would not recommend theforexguy, if you google him a bit, you ll find out that he is really shaddy and not a really trader.
Very dodgy indeed
http://www.forexexposed.com/theforexguy-com-scam/

As for James16, i might take his course soon, i ll let you know if/when i do