Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Martin, as you know I have moved from scalping to position/ swing trading.. Because this is a big change for me I decided to deleverage and come off futures for a while until I was confident I had mentally adjusted. I am therefore using a SB platform and trade the FTSE 100 rolling ..... I have found it surprisingly good.. I still use the futures charts for Trade planning and then adjust for orders by looking at the delta between cash and futures... (can sometimes be a pain..but am coping)

Results so far are encouraging .. With. 5 pc profit so far this month.. And no platform or commission costs...and much greater flexibility for taking profits in stages..or removing a potion of position to derisk if you begin to worry you may have got it wrong.

John - keep up the good work on the swing/position trading front. Spreadbetting makes a lot of sense for longer term trading. I may start doing some longer term trades too and see if they work out, especially for 161.8% extensions. For now I am still very much a scalper/short termer, and I like the futures trading platform, especially the Open ECry platform I use. No data feed charges and any market I could want to trade.

getting close to sp 1300 cash

The ES came within two ticks of the 127% extension (1hr chart) and pulled back, but the big one, 161.8%, is at 1299.88. Will it get there? Or will the selling just prior to it be too strong?

1304 is the top of the channel and also an exact ABCD extension. I guess it depends on the retail sales numbers at 1:30pm and the ECB press conference.

The FESX is up 2% right now and it may need to pull back a bit before more up. The ES is up only 0.58% so could up a lot more. The FTSE is up only 0.63% and if it weren't for Tescos would be up much more.

The ES came within two ticks of the 127% extension (1hr chart) and pulled back, but the big one, 161.8%, is at 1299.88. Will it get there? Or will the selling just prior to it be too strong?

1304 is the top of the channel and also an exact ABCD extension. I guess it depends on the retail sales numbers at 1:30pm and the ECB press conference.

The FESX is up 2% right now and it may need to pull back a bit before more up. The ES is up only 0.58% so could up a lot more. The FTSE is up only 0.63% and if it weren't for Tescos would be up much more.

you got no faith in buzz?

phew - like watching paint dry. Gonna take a break so hedged with dow @ 12494 in case. Not sure that's a good idea since ftse seems very reluctant. Still we'll see.

barjon, i think it's better to hedge with euro

euro has more downside bias fundementally

Going in to the evening session, need to watch for a move above 5637 on FTSE futures.

The market did not seem to like the retail and unemployment data out of the US.

The lower channel has been breached on the 1 hour chart for both the ES and the FTSE. A close below 1279.25 on the ES would give us an outside bar and it would be quite bearish.

I am not sure the up move is done yet and it needs to make an effort to get to 1300. Looking at tomorrows data we've got prelim U of Mich which should be a good number, so maybe one last push tomorrow, but it does look like it is forming a top.

I don't think it will be a big sell off yet until we get some earnings reports. We have JPM tomorrow around noon, Wells and Citi on tuesday, GS and BoNy on wed, BoA on thurs.

phew - like watching paint dry. Gonna take a break so hedged with dow @ 12494 in case. Not sure that's a good idea since ftse seems very reluctant. Still we'll see.

just back and closed off:

ftse 5674 for -13 x 2 = -26
dow 12437 for + 57 x 1 = +57

net = + 31

"buzz lightyear to starship command i have encountered strong resistance "

"roger buzz try to hold sector 86 i repeat sector 86 over"

"roger" ......just a wee bit of fun :)

"buzz lightyear to starship command sector secured over and out"

lets hear it for the buzz :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

nice trade:)

er, thanks dick (and fletch). The original ftse long wasn't much cop though - never showed much upside - but the net result of the hedge worked out ok and demonstrates what I've been chatting about here off and on. ie: you don't necessarily have to be right about direction if the relative (ftse/dow) price action supports a hedge.

er, thanks dick (and fletch). The original ftse long wasn't much cop though - never showed much upside - but the net result of the hedge worked out ok and demonstrates what I've been chatting about here off and on. ie: you don't necessarily have to be right about direction if the relative (ftse/dow) price action supports a hedge.

Nice trade Barjon. Do you sometimes use the method before a data release where it would not be possible to use a stop due to slippage?

As the US data really helped you out yesterday with the DOW tanking.

Last edited:
i got targets up to 5750 cash but i'm cautious with that volume
1 it was selling
2 it's what wee need for the big push through
3 it was my aunty mary selling her tsb shares
hmmm

a big volume day yesterday...

Interesting. It picked up a bit on the Cash Index and was above its month average, but still well below its 6 month average.

Things have definitely settled down and the VIX is back down to July levels.

I see Buzz was working the night shift.

Interesting. It picked up a bit on the Cash Index and was above its month average, but still well below its 6 month average.

Things have definitely settled down and the VIX is back down to July levels.

I see Buzz was working the night shift.

i know the volume on the cash weekly seemed to be a bit odd but if it was correct you still think it was average?