Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

It is cash FTSE 100 - I don't know if they offer futures on my spread betting platform.

Appologies to futures scalpers - I won't post cash FTSE trades again.

Zen - I have no problem with you posting cash prices if that is what you are happy with, but just try to say it is the cash price instead of futures, so there is no confusion. Good luck

8:30 arriving but nothing to reverse :)

ftse lagging dow a bit so p'raps it'll do a bit of catching up

Not trading today .. dentist appt and other things to do...

btw..has anyone heard from DC? we are very much missing him.... the thread is still very good with some great advice coming from people like MC, Dick and BJ (and Martin of course :) )

But DC did add another dimension which was very interesting. :cool:

What a start to the day. Around a 10 point range.
Hopefully things will pick up with Draghi.

Just feels like we are waiting for something.
I also trade the Dow and the daily ranges will soon be falling off the chart.

Attachments

• DJIA.PNG
    DJIA.PNG
    36.9 KB · Views: 123
The Tescos news has really surprised the UK market.

Chevron last night and Shell this morning more bad news.

More eurobabble, and yet another rubbish rumour of a French default. Boy do they love to roll that one out all the time.

The market was setup for an uptrend, but all the news has caught it off balance a little. I think it wanted to get the ES up to at least 1300 before it triggered a test of the low of the channel.

Also we gapped lower without a serious retest of the gap. Although I am not so sure it will fill it.

Also we have Spanish Bond Auction results imminent and Italian Bond auction results after 10am. These will set the direction for the day.

yesterday s&p had some heavy volume (my charts are down today) but seemed to be a tad on the big side so my logical brain says it aint like them to be buying the top unless buzz lightyear is in on it:)

to infinity and beyond:)

i hope buzz is in on it

Jacky - The ES is the S&P500 futures contract. The FESX is the Eurostoxx 50 futures contract. You can trade them with a spreadbetting firm but the spreads aren't as good as the cash prices for the FTSE and the S&P. I trade the futures with a direct access platform. I don't use a spreadbetter for my trades.

Feel free to ask as many "silly" questions as you want. That's the only way to learn sometimes. Good luck.

Thanks a lot Martin! It's helpful. yeah, i always use SB, so dont know abt future platform. the contract is still too big for me to trade.

Thanks a lot Martin! It's helpful. yeah, i always use SB, so dont know abt future platform. the contract is still too big for me to trade.

Yes jacky it's tough to jump up from £1 and £2 to a £10 per pt minimum, but spreadbetting platforms are really limiting for the short term trader, and make it very difficult to make any money. Good luck.

I find it very confusing as you are quoting funny numbers and sb numbers to boot

but why on earth you cant post on a cash thread is beyond me

so I will stop posting and leave you to it

MC - your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated here so I hope you don't leave us. This thread has evolved into covering many aspects of trading that are not purely scalping futures, and we have had some very good posts, yours included.

"buzz lightyear to starship command i have encountered strong resistance "

"roger buzz try to hold sector 86 i repeat sector 86 over"

"roger" ......just a wee bit of fun :)

MC - your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated here so I hope you don't leave us. This thread has evolved into covering many aspects of trading that are not purely scalping futures, and we have had some very good posts, yours included.

Martin, as you know I have moved from scalping to position/ swing trading.. Because this is a big change for me I decided to deleverage and come off futures for a while until I was confident I had mentally adjusted. I am therefore using a SB platform and trade the FTSE 100 rolling ..... I have found it surprisingly good.. I still use the futures charts for Trade planning and then adjust for orders by looking at the delta between cash and futures... (can sometimes be a pain..but am coping)

Results so far are encouraging .. With. 5 pc profit so far this month.. And no platform or commission costs...and much greater flexibility for taking profits in stages..or removing a potion of position to derisk if you begin to worry you may have got it wrong.

Martin, as you know I have moved from scalping to position/ swing trading.. Because this is a big change for me I decided to deleverage and come off futures for a while until I was confident I had mentally adjusted. I am therefore using a SB platform and trade the FTSE 100 rolling ..... I have found it surprisingly good.. I still use the futures charts for Trade planning and then adjust for orders by looking at the delta between cash and futures... (can sometimes be a pain..but am coping)

Results so far are encouraging .. With. 5 pc profit so far this month.. And no platform or commission costs...and much greater flexibility for taking profits in stages..or removing a potion of position to derisk if you begin to worry you may have got it wrong.

Don't forget the Tax benefits. I'm doing my returns this week and it makes me smile knowing that my SB account is all mine. I know we could get into a massive debate about the pros and cons of SB companies vs. Futures brokers and it really is down to the individual. The SB companies have come a long way since I first started using them, you can even roll with a automated system on MT4 if you want.

i'm long on the cash 5687 will dow hedge if it goes south

phew - like watching paint dry. Gonna take a break so hedged with dow @ 12494 in case. Not sure that's a good idea since ftse seems very reluctant. Still we'll see.