Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

interesting...last week around same time most were willing markets to climb and today most are waiting for correction.....

I agree Samir... I would have made far more money if i had just left my long from last Tuesday running. Of course we are all waiting for a pullback,, not necessarily a collapse.. but the thing we should have taken into account is that short squeezes tend to be very violent and go up in a straight line usually. One for the trading diary I think.

a very low risk short exists on the ftse right now. at 5450'ish stop 5459 one pip above the last high (cash) better to enter as close to that high as you can.
might not work of course:)

Strange stop placement if you don;t mind me saying.
Personally, I would never place a stop close to a high as price is almost always pushed past the highs or lows to claim/trigger stops, break even trades, etc before bouncing.
...as always depends on RR.

I'm not doing anymoretoday. I've lost a net 20 points on the day and all because I refused to believe that it was going up! I'll have to go and see my shrink!

Dont worry , you are not alone... some very, very experiemced independent (self funded) traders on our floor got fleeced today.. I mean lost loads of money!!!

If I can help with some advice.... todays push higher was a bit of a giveway when yesterdays high broke,, we then got a retracement and test of this level and then up it went. tight stop behind yesterdays highs and you had a very nice winner. I posted earlier that those levels were the tipping point today.. breaks of previous days highs should also be looked at... they are not always going up and may be a fake.. but on a restest there was only one way it was going. Chill out and focus on the next trade..

DJ

In one of your earlier posts today you said manipulation was strong. What did you mean exactly by that? manipulation in which direction?

Also any views for tomorrow.

Thanks
Sam

DJ

In one of your earlier posts today you said manipulation was strong. What did you mean exactly by that? manipulation in which direction?

Also any views for tomorrow.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam,

the market at times is moved to extremes by "strong hands" you usually see this during periods of low volume and we have had low volumes the last few days on the futures and cash in the FTSE.. they are effectively ensuring that price gets to an area that they can then sell at a large profit to the unsuspecting public who now believe that everthing is rosy... BUT it can also be moved if the market (and central banks) believe that there is too much shorting of the market and they want to reduce the volatility..so they push price up.. this can be seen very clearly in the order book where even though large orders are selling .. price keeps moving up.. they do this by soaking up the sell order with a buy order and then removing many bid orders further up the price, so that the market then jumps up to the next tradeable sell order.. this spooks out the shorter who then has to cancel by buying back the position and hence adding to the general move upwards. You also see many fake outs on the short side,,, making price look weak only to then push it up.. so lots of physchological games that messes with the short term traders mind...

I will post levels in a seperate thread for today later.. in terms of direction... all I can say is watch the levels and trade what you see on longer term charts (say 15/30/60mins) to avoid the noise and reduce position size until you can see the wood for the trees.. when it turns they will not make it easy.. just when it seems easy to get in and make money from longs they will turn it round again.

In terms of general direction.. this is a short squeeze.. and the DOW cash hit its 200 day ema last night and the Euro has retraced 50%... so maybe this is it.. my worry is that the German Bund (which trades inversely to equities) has broken down though a head and shoulders topping pattern.. it maybe that Bonds have had there day for a while and big money now ploughs into equities .. Interesting times.

Hi Sam,

the market at times is moved to extremes by "strong hands" you usually see this during periods of low volume and we have had low volumes the last few days on the futures and cash in the FTSE.. they are effectively ensuring that price gets to an area that they can then sell at a large profit to the unsuspecting public who now believe that everthing is rosy... BUT it can also be moved if the market (and central banks) believe that there is too much shorting of the market and they want to reduce the volatility..so they push price up.. this can be seen very clearly in the order book where even though large orders are selling .. price keeps moving up.. they do this by soaking up the sell order with a buy order and then removing many OFFER orders further up the price, so that the market then jumps up to the next tradeable sell order.. this spooks out the shorter who then has to cancel by buying back the position and hence adding to the general move upwards. You also see many fake outs on the short side,,, making price look weak only to then push it up.. so lots of physchological games that messes with the short term traders mind...

I will post levels in a seperate thread for today later.. in terms of direction... all I can say is watch the levels and trade what you see on longer term charts (say 15/30/60mins) to avoid the noise and reduce position size until you can see the wood for the trees.. when it turns they will not make it easy.. just when it seems easy to get in and make money from longs they will turn it round again.

In terms of general direction.. this is a short squeeze.. and the DOW cash hit its 200 day ema last night and the Euro has retraced 50%... so maybe this is it.. my worry is that the German Bund (which trades inversely to equities) has broken down though a head and shoulders topping pattern.. it maybe that Bonds have had there day for a while and big money now ploughs into equities .. Interesting times.

mistake on last post .. amended above

just posting my thoughts this morning (food for thought rather than credible advice)
We seem to have a H&S pattern forming on the 5 mins chart, if it turns into a continuation pattern and goes above the 5445 level there are likely to be a few stops up there. However there was quite a sharp downturn on the s&p during the last hour, so perhaps we will see more of a correction or more likely channel-into-range price action. that's it for now the crystal ball has started fogging over again

Does anyone on here use the futures charts for longer-term / daily chart analysis or purely cash or combination? For example yesterday the cash market exceeded the range high on the cash but not on the futures chart.

There was lots of selling in the cash close yesterday in UK and US markets.. so we may have seen the big boys cashing in.. however.. caution is the watchword I would say...

we just broke through the 50% retracement from May high to August low.. but 61.8% is at 5569 and the 200 day ema is at 5543... so they are close enough..

very low volumes the last few days..

major levels for me to watch today will be

5543/ 5569 -- is this the target before the end of the week?

5487/5508

5436/5442 yesterdays high

5322 yesterdays low

5230/58

Does anyone on here use the futures charts for longer-term / daily chart analysis or purely cash or combination? For example yesterday the cash market exceeded the range high on the cash but not on the futures chart.

You have to adjust the futures charts for the dividend and financing adjustments every quarter so unless you do that, you only have the cash charts to go on for long term analysis.
Some software will do this automatically otherwise it's a complicated process.

Looks like this ECB report has done the trick.
We more than filled the gap.
I would like to think we have seen the high for the day.

Thanks DJ for the detailed explanation and also view on likely market direction.

Samir, I dont think I made any views on direction.. you need to see if the leves hold or not.At the moment rejection or breaks of highs/ lows are key...

Day two in the Big Brother house and then we get day 3 which pushes into a day 4

day 5 or 6 a hint at QE3 or news from EU then one more time for the masses

I am not a happy teddy bear.. i had an overnight short in from last night at the highs and between my broker and my execution system they have bloody screwed it up , so no idea where my P&L is until they sort it out .. meanwhile cant trade

Oohrah

Attachments

• battle.jpg
    battle.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 136