Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

I have the pair trade on, long Ftse / short S&P, the spread is at its widest for many years, partly due to the strength of Apple shares but also chinese worries hitting miner stocks, Total's gas leak hitting oil producers.... i see a 5% reversal over the couple of months.

aye the "special relationship" is certainly creaking at the moment.

this week ftse has been weak each day vs dow by, -12, -23, -43, -28 and to day opened weak -20. The greatest shows of strength on a hourly basis for this week have been +3, +5, +7 and +7.

Same tactics today - long ftse (from the bell today in view of the opening -20 weakness) will hold that whilst in the money then protect with dow hedge if it makes something decent or back at b/e otherwise.

Mat , how do you work out a 5% reversal? whats the logic?

i believe the oil / miner sector sell off is overdone which will help the FTSE outperform against the S&P which will drift back as the dollar gets stronger as we came to the end of the QE program.

dj, you sparked my interest in forex again, i have been paper trading euro last few days with some good results.... just luck maybe ....it doesn't seem to like my normal market analysis tho

this week ftse has been weak each day vs dow by, -12, -23, -43, -28 and to day opened weak -20. The greatest shows of strength on a hourly basis for this week have been +3, +5, +7 and +7.

Same tactics today - long ftse (from the bell today in view of the opening -20 weakness) will hold that whilst in the money then protect with dow hedge if it makes something decent or back at b/e otherwise.

hedged now ftse long 5757, dow short 13182

fingers crossed ...depending on the Eurogroup bailout outcome, looking to short the Euro stoxx this afternoon

i believe the oil / miner sector sell off is overdone which will help the FTSE outperform against the S&P which will drift back as the dollar gets stronger as we came to the end of the QE program.

and if Uncle sugar daddy Ben goes for QE3?

i think the US market is already pricing in an element of QE3, so room for disappointment if he does not, should he get printing then the rush for commodities will help the FTSE, hedge the loss on the S&P.... i guess only time will tell !!

i think the US market is already pricing in an element of QE3, so room for disappointment if he does not, should he get printing then the rush for commodities will help the FTSE, hedge the loss on the S&P.... i guess only time will tell !!

well if it doesn't the charts will:)

yes well the ftse has already tanked so if s&p tanks now we follow and get a double tanking.....so it makes for a further rise in s&p while ftse catches up then bang! .... or.....a gentle decline on s&p so ftse dosen't panic then bang! ...ha all very logical stuff or complete nonsense take your pick :)

yes well the ftse has already tanked so if s&p tanks now we follow and get a double tanking.....so it makes for a further rise in s&p while ftse catches up then bang! .... or.....a gentle decline on s&p so ftse dosen't panic then bang! ...ha all very logical stuff or complete nonsense take your pick :)

I did advise that you knock off after a long day, yesterday. At 1900 the FT started a very useful rise so I hesitate to give you more advice.

Shall I let you into a secret?

I swore and got soundly ticked off by the Missus! :mad:

So no advice, today, but I'm knocking off. Have a good weekend. I'll be looking into the site but no more trading until Monday.

yes i think your right split thanks for the advice.... no trades today but i have been having fun paper trading the euro. have you been impressed with finspreads new charts? i have.

I don't use indicators, except averages, but I like the chart handling ie. the dragging and the scrolling that increases the size of the bars. Did you notice, yesterday, that the chart got out of kilter with their quotes? By about 10 points although it only lasted for a few minutes. It is the first time that I have noticed it for months so I didn't think much of it, but it is something to keep an eye out for. The last time that happened I posted a screen shot on the site, somewhere.

no i didn't notice that yesterday but hey i think you are missing out on something here...i don't use indicators either but their automatic trend lines are excellent. click settings and tick the top two boxes above the word style ..this will display them. easy on hindsight but they gave some cool signals today.. have alook at the hourly chart.