Any other swing traders?

jitasb said:
Thanks guys...

So now after FTSE has closed...today was a 'down day' ..
If tomorrow the FTSE rises above today's high...then that is a buy signal and today was the 'real' swing low.
Would this be correct ??

Great fun this swing trading isn't it ?....TIA for any replies

Well, yes - but sadly there is no guarantee that we won't have another false start.

:(

So, unless there's a huge rally tomorrow or Friday, we wouldn't know until next week whether the footsie has made a valid swing low today.

beartrap

Of course, we need to get the buy stop in before the open tomorrow on the basis that today would become the putative swing low if the stop is hit. Then put down a protective stop, and limit for a first profit target if that's the way you're playing it.

beartrap

Marc Rivalland did a live discussion on ADVFN about his strategy in January last year. There is a lot of rubbish on this thread but some of the questions and answers might interest people using this method:-

http://tinyurl.com/3yed9

Thanks for the link, Bigbusiness.

Wow, you were right about the rubbish on the ADVFN thread, though!

:LOL:

Brave of MR to take part, or perhaps foolhardy. He's a busy chap, that's for sure, and I bet he didn't boost sales of 'MR on Swing Trading' very much through participation in that all-too-live discussion!

beartrap

Big Business, being objective, what do you think of Rivallands approach to swing trading? A lot of the people on ADVFN were quite dismissive. As a relative newbie i have followed this method and it's mechanical approach suits me cos i nearly always get it wrong when i make value judgements. It does seem to work to me, not all the time but does any sysem?

jonray,

I wouldn't take too much notice of some of the ADVFN posts but a few valid points were made.

I think Rivallands approach to swing trading is excellent but I still think that trading it on the FTSE between November 2001 to May 2002 would probably have driven me crazy. It is easy to see these choppy periods in the market after the event but I think most times they are hard to avoid. I am more of a day trader and I am still working on my own system but I think the best results will be produced if I can take the good points from the book and apply them to my own trading style.

Riv - if a trader was to start swing trading and stuck to your rules what "float" should be begin with? £50,000 or lower? I assume £10 a point is the minimum for it to be worth the effort?

Rivalland - 23 Jan'03 - 14:18 - 44 of 135

I agree £10 is minimum to be worth it, but newcomers could experiment with lower. ADFN

Bit rich for me

romany123,

That was the one bit of information that stuck in my mind and I think it shows that he is not an expert in this field. You can start doing this at 50p a point and build up your stake as the profits increase. To say it is only worthwhile at £10 a point seems crazy to me.

If you start at £10 a point and the system has a large draw down for a few months, it is unlikely that most traders will stick with it.

I wonder how many of the people who bought the book have £50,000 to invest and can cope with trading £10 a point?

Big
Perhaps we should go to law school and then write a book that sells at £39.00 a throw................perhaps then we would be able to shell out £10 a point

This is how i swing trade.

Attachments

• ebay.gif
    ebay.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 663
Hi Nomish

Can you give the range of the indicators (MACD & Stocastics)

Regards

IanH

Not sure if my program qualifies as swing trading

Homeschoolma said:
Are there any other swing traders here? I'd like to compare notes and strategies with others who swing trade.

My program follows extremes in indicators like vix and put call ratio, and uses it to hold long or short positions in the sp400 index that can last from days to months.

www.angelfire.com/ma4/mr_cassandra/MainPage.html

It's a mechanical trading system, in that all I do is load the data at end of day, and then if there's a signal, I place the trade.

For those swing traders out there, following yesterday's amazing action, the ftse100 and the dow have now given sell signals (breaks of 4430 and 10306 respectively)

Nas100, SP500 and DAX still up.

Bit of a confusing picture - any thoughts ?

minted

Depends how you operate. For me the breaks don't signal a sell just a possible change of trend which leads me away from the long side until the picture clarifies a bit more. Moving to the short side won't come 'til I see the first rally break down.

Last edited:
barjon

Yes, I tend to agree, the change of trend signals should be treated with caution until confirmed by a further signal.

Won't be taking any dow of ftse longs for the time being.

thanks for your feedback.

Never noticed this thread before, anyone swing/position trading currencies here?

Hi Guys, An excellent thread !
Any ideas for the FTSE100..It has definitely breached the support channel level 4'425, which was also a support level indicated by the 200SMA..Seems to have come close to the strong Support Level 4'300 , currently trading on 4'328. I am looking for it to reverse and go long on this one, perhaps it might go further down and hit the previous support level and reverse back which is a good sign, also the MACD shows oversold conditions, however cross-over not occured yet, Williams % is also showing a good sign to go long... Waiting for the MACD cross-over to enter long may also be a good idea.. Anyone trading the FTSE100 ? Happy Trading !

Ps: Currently I also see a little support at 4,323 (Last Low formed on Tuesday Last Week)

Someone kindly posted a link on swing trading- part 1 and part 2- I read part 1 this morning and have been looking for part 2 without success. I should have been more careful in noting it. I thought it was post 22 but it couldn't have been on this thread. Can anyone help?

Split