Amplify Trading-my journey

Actually Jack is no longer with Amplify, tight daily limits finally got to him too. As someone who's done the Amplify course but for reasons of learning macro-economic side of things, I can tell you that if you're a complete newbie, Amplify might help to teach you the basics if you've got 4k to burn. Although whatever they teach trading-wise is readily available on babypips.com

Having said that, Amplify are a training company, not a trading company. In my opinion TopStep Trader offers much better education through your own self-discipline and combines. Shame they stopped doing the Hoags market profile lab.

Oh and btw, I've been trading for 5 years and guess what, I live an extremely comfortable life. Is it a hard job? Yes, but some days are easier than others. Do I consider myself rich? Moderately rich, yes.

Can you make a load of cash? Yes, by learning how to properly analyse markets and fine-tune the probability math through examining your weaknesses, both mathematically and psychologically. And possibly learning to stay away from intraday trading until you learn to swing trade.

When you finally figure out your way of trading, this is the easiest way to make cash. Period.

If you're emotionally weak and easily wound-up, this job isn't for you. Just as a concert pianist doesn't become a concert pianist in 3 months, likewise you won't become the best trader in the world in 3 months.

Amplify is what it is, a training company like many others, but ultimately they're a tiny fish in the pond and they don't have enough margin to fund anyone for more than $1000k risk. That's after they take your £4k for training. So really, it's a win/win situation for them.

Also in my opinion the only person who knows what they're talking about in there is Piers, he's got a very good grasp on fundamentals. But again, struggles with consolidating technicals with his fundamental views.

In case you're wondering why this is, it's because both him and Will made their money trading the spreads - which was a junior position back in the days of open outcry.

When I brought up market profile, which is what I wanted to learn, neither knew what I meant.

Actually Jack is no longer with Amplify, tight daily limits finally got to him too. As someone who's done the Amplify course but for reasons of learning macro-economic side of things, I can tell you that if you're a complete newbie, Amplify might help to teach you the basics if you've got 4k to burn. Although whatever they teach trading-wise is readily available on babypips.com

Having said that, Amplify are a training company, not a trading company. In my opinion TopStep Trader offers much better education through your own self-discipline and combines. Shame they stopped doing the Hoags market profile lab.

Oh and btw, I've been trading for 5 years and guess what, I live an extremely comfortable life. Is it a hard job? Yes, but some days are easier than others. Do I consider myself rich? Moderately rich, yes.

Can you make a load of cash? Yes, by learning how to properly analyse markets and fine-tune the probability math through examining your weaknesses, both mathematically and psychologically. And possibly learning to stay away from intraday trading until you learn to swing trade.

When you finally figure out your way of trading, this is the easiest way to make cash. Period.

If you're emotionally weak and easily wound-up, this job isn't for you. Just as a concert pianist doesn't become a concert pianist in 3 months, likewise you won't become the best trader in the world in 3 months.

Amplify is what it is, a training company like many others, but ultimately they're a tiny fish in the pond and they don't have enough margin to fund anyone for more than $1000k risk. That's after they take your £4k for training. So really, it's a win/win situation for them.

Also in my opinion the only person who knows what they're talking about in there is Piers, he's got a very good grasp on fundamentals. But again, struggles with consolidating technicals with his fundamental views.

In case you're wondering why this is, it's because both him and Will made their money trading the spreads - which was a junior position back in the days of open outcry.

When I brought up market profile, which is what I wanted to learn, neither knew what I meant.

Hi ,

They have had a high turnover of folks associated with them since the inception in 2009 and virtually everyone who has left, left in sour circumstances so not surprised to hear about Jack. Wherever he is now he is better off than at Amplify I can bet you that.

It’s not just inability to trade with a $ 1000 margin but no career progress with the firm. A guy who was employed by them was trading 1 lot asked to trade 2 lots in E-mini, was turned down and chose to leave (this scenario repeated with different multiple employees too for the same reason). andymac, sherwyn, andrea, jo, susan all went because of this

Low salaries (20k gross pa = senior analyst. serious.), more than likely no income from trading and also a realization that working for a training company wont get them into better jobs in markets / finance.

Who did they find in place of Jack do you know?

I am 99% certain that it would be a young recent graduate who will need to serve as a talking head for the next couple of years until the conveyor belt delivers a replacement. The key to success there is not to ask too many questions about why things are the way things are at the business (like the 90+% attrition rate amongst “trainees”, no bonuses, absence of quantitative methods and analysis, significant portion of PR work for “analysts” etc)

I took the course before Jack started teaching but one could tell instantly the lack of any in-depth knowledge from his hotcomm conversations.

Piers’ depth of knowledge is questionable, especially in economics. But he can present recently read press articles combined with economic calendar and some charts with support and resistance as a briefing very well. He sells that very well. And as a newbie one likes listening to that. And he is on CNBC sometimes and newbies like that, it make him seem like a professional. He vanishes on the day of his CNBC slot to study the newspapers and to form his opinion. He is on CNBC for one reason only and that is his family member works there and got him in. That’s all there is to it.

You could subscribe to YouTube feeds with thousands of briefings just like Amplify’s for free and all of them are right in their own way (many a way to skin a cat / many a way to look at a market).

Will’s knowledge is even more questionable than Piers’. In 2010 and 2011 he was making his hotcomm comments sound like he knew some secret strategy to trade the markets. No use of technical analysis, just looking at charts. As a newbie you think “what’s the secret sauce?” but in talking to him in person and in email, hotcomm, phone I never gathered what it was that he was using to trade. That was before I knew there was very little trading at Amplify.

Will is a puppet in Piers’ hands, obeys commands and never makes any decisions himself. Will can talk. You see he is a chatty man and can engage a crowd. He is very good at evading questions. Piers precisely distances himself from public appearances where things are not under his control (at CNBC you are given a script of questions that you will be asked – no surprises). He cancelled his appearance at my Uni (UCL) where he would have sat alongside representatives from Morgan Stanley and Aberdeen Asset Management.

There are many things being done there at Amplify to evade being questioned. If a trainee is a smart one meaning she asks too many questions they tell their analyst to search for that person everywhere online to see if she is from a competing training firm. They do a lot to prevent people from competing companies coming to do their course. They do a lot to stop people from competition coming to their free seminars and asking really tough questions designed to stumble them up.

They monitor all sorts of forums to see if there is bad press about them. They are reading this now and this is 80% of why this thread is still active now.

It’s an unprofessional company and none of the people involved in the company are professionals in their field.

There have been too many trading training companies in London in the last 5-7 years and a lot of them are gone now. There are some new ones which are springing up in serviced offices after the BBC showed that documentary. The savvy ones realized that they could make a few grand in their free promotion time at serviced offices teaching forex, then flee. But those will be gone quickly and people will grow cautious with so much social networking around these days.

The sad reality is that all that will remain is Amplify and at best two more. And more people will go to Amplify because they will have lasted. And the stream of people will never stop because we all like to take shortcuts and we are all impressionable.

Hi , ...

Who did they find in place of Jack do you know?

I am 99% certain that it would be a young recent graduate who will need to serve as a talking head for the next couple of years until the conveyor belt delivers a replacement. The key to success there is not to ask too many questions about why things are the way things are at the business (like the 90+% attrition rate amongst “trainees”, no bonuses, absence of quantitative methods and analysis, significant portion of PR work for “analysts” etc)

Ha! You hit the nail on the head. They have a new trainee named Bill in Jacks place now. But not before I got an email with an offer to teach and be a risk manager because "they were so impressed with me". For 20k a year? I make that in a week! You've really described them well. Not worth upwards of £4k for the stuff you can learn on babypips.

They monitor all sorts of forums to see if there is bad press about them. They are reading this now and this is 80% of why this thread is still active now.

Yes they do. It was Jack who was manning the Pid account. That's a certainty. Likely handed over the reins to Bill hence not a lot of faff from Pid here now.

You can trace easily how Amplify have behaved on this forum.

First in this thread traderboi29 does a long detailed post about his journey at Amplify. Why bother with such level of details, spend time on a forum posting all that?

He's likely to be a made up character. A figment of Amplify's imagination. If he was real he would have more presence in Amplify's alumni seeing that he dedicated a lot of time to posting all this. Yet he is completely untraceable.

Then as this thread started getting some negative posts Amplify did a classic trick and Amp_Trader started posting. Amp_Trader is Piers. They thought official presence on this thread from the company would pull the negativity down but they had to retreat. It didn't work.

Then as more negative posts started coming Pid appeared. Pid offered a different take on things but ultimately was advertising Amplify.

Then William appeared in February 2014 posing as a curious would be client.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/57216-amplify-trading-my-journey-34.html

William is another Amplify account. They tried to take it further with the William account. There's a blog in his signature about his trading https://londonfx.wordpress.com/ This blog was only active in February 2014 and one post in October 2014. Totally fake!!!! They try a marketing ploy but have to quit because it takes too much of their time.

Things are the same with the other Amplify thread

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/educational-resources/102834-amplify-trading.html

A curious guy asking about Amplify's courses and gets a response from Kamikaze Kevin. Kamikaze Kevin is another Amplify account that appeared just to post two promotion posts and that's it.

--------------------

Yes this is the cheap marketing that they do. They do some expensive marketing that they do like the app (totally worthless and teaches what? to trade some events again? like where are you going to use that?). The app gets their name out there that's the point. Every process at Amplify is geared to sell as many courses as possible. It's all about marketing and sales.

Ha! You hit the nail on the head. They have a new trainee named Bill in Jacks place now. But not before I got an email with an offer to teach and be a risk manager because "they were so impressed with me". For 20k a year? I make that in a week! You've really described them well. Not worth upwards of £4k for the stuff you can learn on babypips.

It's like you pay to test out a hypothesis. Do they teach something worthwhile or do they regurgitate same old technical bladi bla? QED. 4k bit expensive to find that out tho

I always had Amplify and Futex as decent companies to learn how to trade along with GHF.

It's like you pay to test out a hypothesis. Do they teach something worthwhile or do they regurgitate same old technical bladi bla? QED. 4k bit expensive to find that out tho

They taught me to understand fundamentals. But my technical trading knowledge was far above anything they teach. All they teach on technicals you can find on babypips. But if you've never ever traded before and have 4k to burn, its an interesting experience, as long as you don't expect anything more from that.

They taught me to understand fundamentals. But my technical trading knowledge was far above anything they teach. All they teach on technicals you can find on babypips. But if you've never ever traded before and have 4k to burn, its an interesting experience, as long as you don't expect anything more from that.

I disagree. I have been on their 4k course and having little experience before, the net result is that I have a much higher potential of achieving profitable trades on a reasonably consistent basis.
It is probably true that - from a technical standpoint - what they teach are the "basics" and that you can find those basics pretty much anywhere you look but given there is so much information for free out there on the Internet I believe you need some expert guidance on what to pick and use. What they teach - both technical and fundamental - is put in context, on a theoretical and practical approach, and that's where the difference is made.

So, for me, the money was well spent. With this I am not suggesting Amplify are perfect. Two out of the four mentors they have are useless in my opinion and they could use a little assistance organisationally-speaking but, overall, I would recommend the course if you have the money to spend and believe in yourself. Note the "believe in yourself" part, which makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the you tube videos of an Amplify training course..?
Hahahahaha, you will be pissing yourself when you do.
They try to replicate open outcry pit trading by all sitting in a room opposite each other, then shouting out fake orders on the phone with no one on the other line.

It really is a scam..avoid at all costs.

Note the "believe in yourself" part, which makes all the difference.
Isn't that stating the blatantly obvious?
That for sure is the one belief *all* traders [and users of this forum] share without a doubt - else why on earth would we be here?

This self-belief is the primary emotion that courses/trainers such as Amplify take advantage of to rinse hapless traders out of their hard earned savings.

Very hard to turn an average sort of person into an ace trader I expect. After a few years experience one gets sort of used to the found way, even if it is not profitable. Some swear by Macd or moving averages etc.
There must be many ways but it is a struggle to find one . So near and yet not quite profitable is most frustrating.

And then..................as Professor Higgins would say.........I think he's got it ( at last )

good luck

I disagree. I have been on their 4k course and having little experience before, the net result is that I have a much higher potential of achieving profitable trades on a reasonably consistent basis.
It is probably true that - from a technical standpoint - what they teach are the "basics" and that you can find those basics pretty much anywhere you look but given there is so much information for free out there on the Internet I believe you need some expert guidance on what to pick and use. What they teach - both technical and fundamental - is put in context, on a theoretical and practical approach, and that's where the difference is made.

So, for me, the money was well spent. With this I am not suggesting Amplify are perfect. Two out of the four mentors they have are useless in my opinion and they could use a little assistance organisationally-speaking but, overall, I would recommend the course if you have the money to spend and believe in yourself. Note the "believe in yourself" part, which makes all the difference.

When you took the course did you meet any of 35 full time traders they claim they have?

When you took the course did you meet any of 35 full time traders they claim they have?

They are all remote, so no. I saw them on the Instant Messaging platform being used in the company. There is a virtual room used for the trainees and then a separate one used for everyone else (the so-called Amplify Live) and these people are logged on there, but I didn't get to talk to them.

They are all remote, so no. I saw them on the Instant Messaging platform being used in the company. There is a virtual room used for the trainees and then a separate one used for everyone else (the so-called Amplify Live) and these people are logged on there, but I didn't get to talk to them.

I should also hasten to add, not sure what you mean by "full-time", but most of these people trade with their own funds.