Alpari discussion and help thread

FCA insists that firms regulated by it need to provide best execution.
So if a stop loss is trigerred 900 pips or lower clearly is poor execution.
Hence fca covers for as much 50,000 gbp.Nothing sure though.

If that is where the underlying market was at that time then that is best execution. Just because your stop got slipped does not mean poor execution.

Anyone have a clue if the fca will reimburse those who have lost money due to stop losses not actiavted leading to a close much much lower i.e. around 900 pips or more?

I doubt it... If market must have missed a lot of people's SL levels in the move and the rush for liquidity probably only made things worse so in essence I don't think poor execution took place.

I think they should introduce stress testing requirements to these firms, similar to what banks need to pass.

I doubt it... If market must have missed a lot of people's SL levels in the move and the rush for liquidity probably only made things worse so in essence I don't think poor execution took place.

I think they should introduce stress testing requirements to these firms, similar to what banks need to pass.

Yes I agree stop losses can slip but there has to be a level , the fca definition is best execution for the client.

It is their responsibility.obviously they had no safety net as they went bankrupt.
This is evident from the fact they allowed client balances to run 100,000 or more in the negative.

So it also implies no protection for client too.Irresponsible to be short.

You don't take buy bids when you know there would no liquidity if the price falls
below 1.20,so they have to take some protection .

There always has to be 2 parties to fill a trade. Do you really think anyone had time or even the guts to take the other side of these trades even if they had the time? That's why stops were not hit

I suspect the Yanks ( the Vampire Squid etc.) were probably pushing the Yodellers to stuff the Russians.
Took out many more imho too. Just who and also how some known companies we shall see in the coming days.

:devilish:

I suspect the Yanks ( the Vampire Squid etc.) were probably pushing the Yodellers to stuff the Russians.
Took out many more imho too. Just who and also how some known companies we shall see in the coming days.

:devilish:

And cost their own Stock Market billions to do so is just not realistic in my view.

Yes, but trading FX is more safe than trading stocks ! By a long shot.

It seems a huge chaos because of excessive leverage, but , again FX has much more safe liquidity than any stock. So fx safer than stocks as an instrument to trade.

Liquidity is only one factor in safety so I don't agree with your conclusion, but recognise that what you say appears superficially logical as a broad brush statement. However, I don't trade illiquid stocks and have tight money and position management, don't use excessive margin and avoid trading stocks which have a possibility of halting due to known information.
Anyone in any area of trading who risks a substantial part of their capital in one trade is laying themselves open to losing it.

Any stock on earth have the possibility to be halted at anytime without prior notice ! And trading stocks using strict MM doesn't protect you against gaps , events ... etc .

And cost their own Stock Market billions to do so is just not realistic in my view.

Au contraire mon ami.

Anyone in on the move stands to make Soros size profits, assuming they have the capital of course.

A once in the decade opportunity !!

Retail client funds continue to be segregated.

Client funds means the deposit I guess ? Because the actual balances are held within the company different account systems.

So we can only claim the deposit ?? **** !! All my profit and hardwork gone with the wind ?

Looks like fscs will not pay for the profit and actual balance but:

http://fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/qu...estments/#What_do_you_mean_by_financial_loss_

What do you mean by financial loss?
To be eligible for compensation you must have lost money because of your dealings with the firm. For investment claims the compensation we pay would try to take account of the financial position you would have been in had you not invested.

Claims against all other companies
The FSCS tries to resolve all claims against Investment firms, Insurance Brokers, and Mortgage Brokers within six months of receipt of your correctly completed Claim Application Form, or within six months of the company being declared in default (whichever is later).

ITS NOT LOOOOOKING GOOOOOD

Client funds means the deposit I guess ? Because the actual balances are held within the company different account systems.

s
The FSCS tries to resolve all claims against Investment firms, Insurance Brokers, and Mortgage Brokers within six months of receipt of your correctly completed Claim Application Form, or within six months of the company being declared in default (whichever is later).

And would applying direct to the FSCS get this form ?

So we can only claim the deposit ?? **** !! All my profit and hardwork gone with the wind ?

Looks like fscs will not pay for the profit and actual balance but:

http://fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/qu...estments/#What_do_you_mean_by_financial_loss_

What do you mean by financial loss?
To be eligible for compensation you must have lost money because of your dealings with the firm. For investment claims the compensation we pay would try to take account of the financial position you would have been in had you not invested.

Claims against all other companies

From what I figure about financial loss:It implies the loss you suffered because of the chf trade.So if you had money till then it should come back i.e. the balance before the chf fiasco should reach you unless your balance is above£50,000

Can't say I have ever heard of Leutakia who are rescuing FXCM. Is nobody going to rescue Alpari ?

There always has to be 2 parties to fill a trade. Do you really think anyone had time or even the guts to take the other side of these trades even if they had the time? That's why stops were not hit

It's not about guts,the brokers normally hedge against their clients,alpari failed to do it.This would have prevented their loss and the clients.The only explanation is price moved very fast,everything was cut off,could not fill in the orders.
This is not black and white .You just cant say volatility and take people to the
cleaners without any safety net in anticipation of the floor collapsing.
Someone whose wife works for the fca told me to just take snapshots of the stop losses,send an email to alpari and sit back as the fca will compensate.

From what I figure about financial loss:It implies the loss you suffered because of the chf trade.So if you had money till then it should come back i.e. the balance before the chf fiasco should reach you unless your balance is above£50,000

I stand corrected.

The recent move on the Swiss franc caused by the Swiss National Bank’s unexpected policy reversal of capping the Swiss franc against the euro has resulted in exceptional volatility and extreme lack of liquidity. Retail client funds continue to be segregated in accordance with FCA rules. For the avoidance of any doubt and notwithstanding previous announcements by the company, Alpari (UK) Limited has not entered a formal insolvency process. The board of directors are urgently considering all options including a sale and are liaising closely with the FCA. We hope to make a further announcement shortly.

Alpari (UK) publicly confirmed that the majority of their clients affected negatively by the CHF move had their account balances completely wiped out. Alpari have however made it clear the clients with positive account balances are fully segregated, and will have their funds returned to them