Active day and swing traders

Morning all,
Silvia asked for my opinion regarding Prorealtime.
I am highly positive. I have used (and still do) Sharescope EoD basically for the data feed which I plugged into Omnitrader. I used to think that OT was superb but I have a big problem in making strategies that give anything meaningful. Basically it gives very few signals with any strategy that I have tried.
As I have been trading more or less full time for the last 18 months I found that I needed a realtime feed.
I tried ADVN but found them expensive and not too user friendly, subscription now stopped. Check out various posts on their billing strategy, not nice!

After much looking and experimenting, I came across ProReal time. I tried Trade station and am very impressed especially with the huge amount of user groups and support. To be honest I was having difficulty in understanding how to use it properly, probably laziness on my part.

So Pro RT. The application used to be browser based which was a bit finicky but now that have a stand alone Java application that is superb.
What is really interesting is that they have built in strategies that are fine but also (if you have the knowledge and time) you can build your own strategies. They even offer to do it for you at no cost!
The really neat feature that I like is their realtime screener. This nifty tool screens any group of stocks or indices that you define and allows you to define what strategy should be applied. Having done that whenever a stock fulfils the strategy a popup appears telling you that the strategy is met. In my opinion really neat.
Those of you familiar with D4F's charts will recognise ProRT as the same product, they supply D4F with the charts! So, for example, if you like supertrend, simply enable the ST strategy and whenever anything in your list crosses ST the popup will appear.
You also have an option of viewing the level 2 order book in realtime so you can see what is actually happening in the market.
In order to keep my DDE feed for OT (I am not sure why I want to do this) ProRT have a DDE output that can be used but it is currently limited to groups of 50 symbols. I understand that they are working on upgrading to allow realtime DDE for much more.

I tried them for a month and now subscribe on 6 monthly intervals.

Hope that helps,
Dave

It seems to have been a good morning for the miners! I am still out of the market, I think I'll be trading again on monday.
In the daily chart AAL seems to have found a support at 2000. It looks like it has been trading on high volume at around that level during the last week. What are your views? It looks to me like it could give a good break out situation, either on the short side or the long side, but I don't how to play it. At the same time, I see in the 10 day chart (10 mins) that it seems to be a resistance at around 2070, which is also a second resistance in today's standar pivots. I wish I'd be long to try it out :)
Dave, are you playing RIO today? I saw that you ended up with a profit yesterday...They are having a pretty steady uptrend...

Good trading,

Silvia.
(I am definitely going for the trial prorealtime. For half the price than sharescope you get nasdaq and you can programme your own indicators. The real time alarms are definitely more than one level better than sharescope's ones. Also the filtering looks great. I'm thinking about keeping sharescope eod in case I do some fundamental filtering, which I like to do from time to time, but switching to prorealtime for intraday trading)

Hi Siliva, et al,

Yep, I actually joined the miners yesterday @ 2786 with a very slack stop for the reasons I discussed yesterday. Stop moved to 65 so still not in profit and although RIO is one of my intraday plays, I am looking for a few days on this one.
Rational?
It seemed to bounce of long term TL on Monday which got confirmed by modest gains 3 further days on the trot all be it on falling vols. Also it seems to be at the bottom of a Bollinger channel. If it moves back toward the top of that channel then I shall be buying a bottle of Bollinger :rolleyes:
However, I shall simply look for a trend reversal to get out, at the moment I am waiting for 2935 so I can put my stop in + territory @ the next rule of eights line above my entry. However, due to the wild, especially at the open, fluctuations I shall probably re-consider such a tight stop and open it to about 50 below the last close.
All in all I see it as a few days, at least, play.

Actually there was a good 50 point day trade this morning but I had to go out so could not play, I dont trade intraday unless I am 100% watching. Strategy would have been MACD cross confirmed by supertrend with 15 point trailing SL to BE then 20 points thereafter.

Ah well,

Dave,

PS, I have emailed ProRT regarding their promises to build some strategies for me. When I get them I will send them to you if ProRT dont make them public.

error in my datafeed

As I writting this, aal is up 7% since the open. That 'I wish I'd be long to try it out' of my previous post it's proving to be really painful :LOL:

What-is-going-on! :) Is it real or my datafeed went crazy?

Good trading, and Dave, you can pay us a round at the pub!

Silvia.

silviaic said:
As I writting this, aal is up 7% since the open. That 'I wish I'd be long to try it out' of my previous post it's proving to be really painful :LOL:

What-is-going-on! :) Is it real or my datafeed went crazy?

Good trading, and Dave, you can pay us a round at the pub!

Silvia.

Bid out for Lonmin so all the miners are moving around today so probably correct Silvia.

theknifemac said:
Bid out for Lonmin so all the miners are moving around today so probably correct Silvia.

Now, this looks like a crash to the upside. I am still too inexperienced, I don't get it. Is this normal? How a bid for lmi takes with it all the other miners? They are not going to be taken over all together, are they? :LOL: I thought it might be related to being a witchy friday in euronext, but I think you must be right.

Good trading. I think I'm going to have an alka-seltzer.

Silvia.

As knifemac says the Lom bid rumour (I pormise nothing to do with my RIO trade) often causes all within the relevant sector to react.

Bid rumours (or actuals) signal "strength" in the sector.

I have now moved my RIO stop to 2830 against an entry of 2786, Down the pub, yep, we do have English theme type pubs where I am in Spain, they are very popular with the Spanish. There are no other Brits where I am. Whispers quietly, thankfully..
Sorry, only joking. Forget the Alker Seltzer, I open the Bollinger if the trade rides to the open, As I write I have just closed a UKX trade at break even, DOW pulled it down, bah!

Good weekend to all,

Dave

Morning all,
Well closed my RIO trade yesterday for a nice 150 pips.
I see general weakness today and wit the DOW closed yesterday there is no direction to speak of. UKhero is calling the FTSE down on his thread and I can see his rationale.
I have 6 positions open, all long and they are all nearing their opening SL so I am going to sit on my hands today.
Having said that I still strength in RIO as a very short term play, intraday.

good trading to all,
Dave

the perils of inattention

mornin' all,

Had an entry signalled for barc at 648 this morning. It opened fairly sedately an hovered around 646 or so for half an hour and I went to get a coffee. When I got back it was on the move and already 654. Decision time, missed trade or get in late (I didn't have an order in because I was supposedly glued to the screen :( ). Things looked quite bubbly so entered - good move as it turned out.

668 was first target exit. More inattention on my part and missed it - we're back to around 662 now. Still ok but irritating all the same and I'll be really grumbling if it comes back.

moral: use orders

good trading

jon

Attachments

• barc.JPG
    barc.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 331
Hi Jon,
if it is any consolation, the price moved quickly on some quite heavy volumes. Often, if you are on a spreadbet platform you wont get filled at the price you want anyway.
That is one of the reasons I am seriously researching CFD's and moving all my trading to a true market platform and not a market maker's price!

Even so a nice trade, well done.
Dave

my reasons are simple, but they are my own :)

I enter the figures for those indices every night, and we have been on an uptrend for a while now...and things beginning to stammer about..a sign that tides are turning..however I am very very new to this, and fully expect to be wrong!

Euro_d said:
Hi Jon,
if it is any consolation, the price moved quickly on some quite heavy volumes. Often, if you are on a spreadbet platform you wont get filled at the price you want anyway.
That is one of the reasons I am seriously researching CFD's and moving all my trading to a true market platform and not a market maker's price!

Even so a nice trade, well done.
Dave

Dave

this one was cfd - i run both cfd and sb accounts and i think you're wise to move (got to take into account the tax position of course).

jon

listen to chat or follow your rules

there's been a lot of comment recently about the mks rise being overdone and that it is "too expensive" above 500p

January saw a scrappy retracement down to 477 (with a false swing low on the way). Since then it moved on to a new high and has just completed a "clean" retracement with an entry signalled around 505 last Thursday. Interesting, too, that the retracement faltered below fib50% and recovered to close above that level the same day.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 317
RBS at 3 year high as at 24th. Full year results due on Tues this week I think. If history repeats, this may be the time to realise your gains on this stock.

player19 said:
RBS at 3 year high as at 24th. Full year results due on Tues this week I think. If history repeats, this may be the time to realise your gains on this stock.

Interesting view. I stand ready to buy the shares you dump :)

Rbs

khi said:
hi all

although many of u might say uk stocks rarely move, i am an active trader in UK stocks in the last 8 years (and still learning from other traders and my own mistakes). in order to generate more interest in our market, i would like to start a thread where u and me can discuss the stocks we are trading during the day, week or month.

at the moment i am long in blt, rbs, and itv, but short in hbos, ici, rtr, nrk, and i will let u know once i exit any of these positions or enter into new positions. i hope u would do the same too to show what stocks ur in or out intraday or week or month.

pls dont be shy to share with us, it does not matter if u were right or wrong in choosing the stocks we are here to generate interest and lets share ur ideas. also it does not matter u are a real trader of just a demo trader pls join in.

cheers
RBS at 3 year high....will be posting full year results on Tues. May be time to get out.....historically the profits are never enough for market.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF RBS ON RESULTS DAY. I was long RBS on results day last year. They went up for 2 or 3 hours afterwards and then started to slide back from a high of 1828, I think, to about 1815 by lunch time. This is approximate, after all, a year has passed! Still, there was time to get out that day before the big slide.

The results last year were excellent so don't be misled into leaving them to look at other shares! :cheesy:

Split

player19 said:
RBS at 3 year high....will be posting full year results on Tues. May be time to get out.....historically the profits are never enough for market.

hi, player19

just in case there's any confusion the quote you have with your post is khi's positions in June 2005 :)

As for rbs see http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=238201&postcount=266 it's broken above the range now, but that may just be a bit of wishful result anticipation

good trading

jon