Active day and swing traders

Fluke said:
Hi Dave.
Nice to see your post.
I agree with your sentiments about the market,a lot of these are going side ways and seam to have developed top areas.
I have become frustrated and have stopped trading for a bit ,glad to see you comments,I thought it was just me that was finding it difficult to make a profit lately

Regards Jon.

I must admit I was beginning to feel quite lonely here!
I am actively trading and this month have entered / closed 11 trades which is small by my normal standards but I was slow to get back into the swing (sorry for the pun) after my 2 weeks in the Alps!
Of those 11, 4 are closed with a net gain of 14 points but a very handsom profit due to my staking strategy.
Of those open, I am down but not hit my SL on all except CHTR which has a minor gain protected by SL.

I have been looking at the FTSE over the last year and it is interesting that although we did not have a "Santa Rally" as such we are actually up from the autumn lows of 5120 ish to almost 5800. I agree with you though in that we seem to be in a period of consolidation and the last 5 or 6 sessions have seen reduced volatility.
That could be a break out or a break down poise, not being into astrology I am reluctant to predict.
The last time was in early December when we had a mini rally!

I am doing much better with intraday plays on miners and indices but it is certainly not as consistent as I would like!

I am actually trading half stake on many positions as I am far from convinced what the charts tell me.

Good trading,
Dave

Hi Guys!

Glad to see you back!

My trading is doing fine, but I'm not happy with my exits. I need to work on that! I'm leaving too early really good trades...
I started trading intraday with a very low stake as it is the first time I do this. But so far I feel really comfortable with this kind of trading. It is funny, as I always saw it like something definitely not for me. I had this idea of start trading indices intraday trying Dave ideas, but I don't feel so confident trading an index, so I decided to do it with shares. I am not using camarilla, but I am looking at levels like previous day close, previous high, previous low, and sometimes standard pivot points. I'm concentrating my trading mainly for the morning moves, and looking to close positions towards noon.
For the moment my watchlist doesn't have anything interesting, I think it is time to update it and I'll let you know what I put there.
Good trading!

Silvia.

silviaic said:
Hi Guys!

Glad to see you back!
Silvia.
Well with encouragement like that I will definitely return to posting here, Thanks Siliva.

What do you all think (especially our dear mod) that instead of just posting our trades as we used to last year that instead we expose ourselves with the rationale for a particular trade. I think that would make the thread more interesting for others to read and also help each other?

Wadda you think?

Dave

(out of the blue iexplorer went down taking my post with it! I hate it)

I think it is very good idea Dave. I thought I'll post the shares I have in my watchlist, and after I close the trades, the ones that could be helpful, either because they are good, or because they're too bad.

In the absence of good trades, I'll post an example of a good entry but BAD exit! :) It is funny because just yesterday I was reading about how our humanity perceives risk. We are big risk takers when we are losing, and risk averse when we are winning. And I say that it is funny because an example of my humanity interfering with a good trade is exactly what happened to me today.
After having a gloomy morning, starting by not making it through the previous day's close and breaking the recent support at 1780, CNE was definitely going down. Then it started hovering at around 1750, finally breaking the down trend at about 13:00. I looked at the daily chart and I saw that 1750 could be a pivot point. As it was presented as a low risk trade, with a stoploss below 1750 I decided to take the chance as soon as it crossed the 1760 level, entering a long trade at 13:49. It was a good entry. The exit was terrible, and this is to show how it should NOT be done.
I was aware of a psychological level on my trading account, and that made me take profits too soon. My trailing stop never was touched though! My initial target was 1800, but actually not even there it stopped going up. I took profits too soon at 1770. My trailing stop was the 12ema that you can see in the 5min chart attached. Not only it coped very well with all the resistances in the way, but it also ended up breaking the previous day's close. Also in the 30min chart you can see how volume is going up with the move, just a confirmation of strength. CNE remains in my watchlist for tomorrow, as it is printing a hammer in the daily chart (for those of you fond of candlesticks).

Good trading!

Silvia.
Just by looking again at the 5min chart I realised that I entered just after the crossing of the 12/50 ema.
For the sake of clarity I'm attaching a 5day chart, but I do look at a 10day chart.

Attachments

• CNE5min.GIF
    CNE5min.GIF
    28.2 KB · Views: 261
  • CNE30min.GIF
    CNE30min.GIF
    31.5 KB · Views: 297
  • CNEdaily6m.GIF
    CNEdaily6m.GIF
    16.6 KB · Views: 277
ok dave, i'm game.

Here's one for starters - looking for trend continuation after 3+ bar retracement.

hbos and one of those irritating failures. Entered long (yellow) near the high of the move and stopped out (white) near the low. After a few days off it went to make new highs then retraced giving a new swinglow and entry where I then disobeyed my rules and ignored only for it to go on to a further new high today :eek:

good trading

jon

Attachments

• hbos.JPG
    hbos.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 300
barjon said:
ok dave, i'm game.

Here's one for starters - looking for trend continuation after 3+ bar retracement.

hbos and one of those irritating failures. Entered long (yellow) near the high of the move and stopped out (white) near the low. After a few days off it went to make new highs then retraced giving a new swinglow and entry where I then disobeyed my rules and ignored only for it to go on to a further new high today :eek:

good trading

jon

This is the kind of excersice I need to practice! Good one Jon. I'm attaching a 10 day chart where I marked two levels that could be meaningful. According to what happened today in the 5min chart I think it could be a tricky play tomorrow. I don't see the 1011 level as very strong support for the moment, but tomorrow it could be tested and proved a good one. If tomorrow opens below today's close, I think it may be going to look for support to the 1000 level. If it opens just above today's close, today's high might prove as a good resistance, giving a not very good target. However, in this case it could be a good play depending on the price action to go for a bo. If it opens above yesterday's high, that means a gap up, and I'm still not very sure how to play that kind of move. Other thing that catches my attention is that in the daily chart, today's bar is 'doji'. I think people see this as a possible reversal pattern, so they usually put their stops below the low...

Silvia.

Attachments

• HBOS60min.GIF
    HBOS60min.GIF
    32.3 KB · Views: 288
silviaic said:
......................Other thing that catches my attention is that in the daily chart, today's bar is 'doji'. I think people see this as a possible reversal pattern, so they usually put their stops below the low..........................

Silvia.

silvia

...and a potential shooting star type doji at that. Mind you i'tll need to open below 1016 and move below 1011 to confirm it as a bearish reversal which seems unlikely given dow strength today.

good trading

jon

Last edited:
barjon said:
silvia

...and a potential shooting star type doji at that. Mind you i'tll need to open below 1011 to confirm it as a bearish reversal which seems unlikely given dow strength today.

good trading

jon

Any ideas on how to play that kind of move (intraday I mean)? I'm not very good at runaway stuff. :) It is definitely in my watchlist for today!

Silvia.

Good morning Silvia, Jon et al,

With the strength of the DOW yesterday I am surprised to find that the FRSE has actually dropped from the highs during the DOW session. FYI, I trade indices on several criteria, the first is a combo of Camarilla, standard pivots and a couple of services I subscribe to: Analyst online, Chinese numbers and SAFE, I like the style of analyse at Analyst online as they look at momentum ranges. During the day I look at MACD crosses and Supertrend which is the chart package of D4F (or CMC markets as they now call themselves) and which is also the same charting package that I use for real time, protrader. I actually use protrader for the signals as they are realtime level 2 not CMC's prices. As a further confirmation, I use a very crude method. On a 1 min chart, any 3 consecutive bars are a trend confirmation. Of course, I look at higher highs/lows.
One thing that I am still trying to get my head around is 123 reversals (or Ross hooks) but I find it very difficult to spot manually. See thread on that subject.
Anyway, all signals are pointing a long break out around 5825 or slightly less. Interestingly CAM and standard pivots show resistance @ 22/23 so I am hoping that a breakout above that will be the signal! A limit order is already in the market!

For individual shares I am looking for trend break outs, on 1 day charts. Today I am looking at the miners again and attach RRS which although MACD has not yet turned I expect all miners to do well today, with Jon on that one! Besides, I like miners as short term plays.

OK, enough for now, good trading to all,
Dave

Attachments

• RANDGOLD RES..png
    RANDGOLD RES..png
    8.2 KB · Views: 297
mornin'

ftse unimpressed so far.

so far as hbos is concerned i've edited my shooting star reversal post to put it right :rolleyes:

i don't trade candle patterns, sylvia, other than associated with my normal swings, but i have found some (shooting stars and hammers particularly) pretty good for short term moves (sometimes the full reversal - call up a monthy chart for ftse and see how the hammerish doji called the bottom in 2003).

an open below(above) the close of the signal candle and then a move below(above) the low(high) of that candle usually sets that day's direction. a bit weaker when you don't get that gap open but still in play until the high(low) of the signal candle goes (which it has as i write on hbos).

good trading

jon

Jon,
Interesting play of yours on HBOS, I can certainly see the patterns and the MACD (on an hourly chart) has turned a couple of days ago, good luck.

Regarding my RRS potential I am still watching but do not like what I see on CMC's platform, a 15 pip additional spread compared to level 2. Thats naughty!. To be fair, it has in the last few seconds come into line but it has taken it an 1 1/2 hours to come into line, I am certainly not prepared to give CMC 15 pips.

I have been considering CFD's any of you have any experience?

Oops, as I write, CMC have again added the 15 pips. Lev 2 = 985/1001 CMC = 970 / 1001.5

Dave

mornin' dave

don't need any luck since i'm not in it :cheesy:

i use cfds - not direct access (which is best - pm kim (khi) to try out a good platform) since the min commission doesn't fit my normal trading size. got to use a broker who uses market prices and doesn't tinker making their own quotes. e*trade is good and you can try out their platform too.

good trading

jon

Exits

You may all remember a debate we had last year regarding that very subject. Both I and Mark (I think) were struggling with exits. I have changed my strategy and tried to remove the euphoria and emotion of a winning trade. Losers are OK, close em at 3% or whatever works for you, winners is another matter.

I now watch the move and trail the stop to break even or slightly above and then slacken the stop criteria. I watch very short term MACD and other reversal patterns.
The results have paid off both in profit and a more relaxed mind, if it is in profit and there are no obvious reversals let it run.

A typical example was my AVE play, bought on 21 Dec and closed on 8 Feb. It had several falls before the rise to 80 where I sold. OK it could be argued I could still be with it but I did not like the 2 consecutive patterns around 6,7,8 Feb.

Dave

Attachments

• AVIS EUROPE.png
    AVIS EUROPE.png
    9 KB · Views: 334
Hi guys!

Well, I'm not trading today or tomorrow (a pity, It seems to be a good day today, may be if I can I'll trade few hours in the afternoon). I've been a little bit busy yesterday, so it is just today that I have some time to post this. Unfortunately, I can't get sharescope to show the chart the way it looked yesterday when I was in the trade. I use 5 mins candlesticks that I can't display. Also the pivot points are gone, as well as the previous day open, high and low prices, which are all levels I display in my charts. Anyway, in the attached chart you'll see my entry and exit. The previous day close was 2760, as well as the pivot. It looked like making a higher low, and if you looked at the previous day, you'll see that also at around the 2770 level there was a swing high which remained there for a while. I thought that level could act as a support. If I was wrong the exit would have been at around 2765, not giving it too much breath, I know, but that would have meant that it wasn't happening the way I thought and I should reconsider my entry. Anyway, yesterday it seemed to be my lucky day (at least with that trade, I'm not going to talk about the ones didn't work....;) ) , and finally decided to take off at about 11:30. After hovering around 2780, it started to move really fast and I started to feel: wow, this is great. Then red light came up: when I feel rich something it's going to go wrong, lol! So I got cautious and decided to draw that steep trendline you see there, that I didn't really wanted to draw. I got out as soon as it crossed it. Dave: CMC took a nice 4 point profit there, as the bid in level II was 4 point higher than their quote, and it just got closer about 45 mins later! (By the way, are CFD's different in that sense? I thought it was exactly the same as spreadbetting, but you pay taxes...).
Guys: as you can see from the tone of my post, I am so proud of this trade. After the blow to my ego with my badly manage cne the previous day, this was a nice gift from luck to my self confidence ;) (As I said before, I'll hide under the carpet my other trades. Anyway, good money management made my day, I ended up with a profit :) )

Good trading!
Silvia.
(day trading is great, I'm really enjoying it!)

Attachments

• RIO.GIF
    RIO.GIF
    25.1 KB · Views: 357
Hi Silvia
nice one ...you mention scarescope do you get the real time feed...if so whats it like..what other shares do you watch for movement and how do you identify that they are on the move...sorry if this is dim but i am new to this.........

Nice one Silvia, a good intraday trade.
As you may remember, RIO is one of my frequent intraday plays. Indeed I am in today @ 2786.
A few comments on RIO. It is very volatile and you need to be aware that you can easily get stopped on a swing in a few minutes, I trade low with slack stops. today is relatively quiet with a range of 63 / 96, that is not normal, I have seen 150 swing days.

D4F, I use them and have for a long time but I am close to moving to a CFD platform. Why, well RIO is a classic example. all SB companies are market makers, that is, the prices are skewed based on a variety of complex factors to protect themselves. There were times today when D4F had an additional 15 points compared to the underlying market, now that is naughty!
Following Jon's post, I am trialling Etrade. You get realltime market access and instant fills (another problem with SB Co's).
The other difference is that you effectively "buy" shares on margin (10%) for a fixed fee, plus a minor financing charge. 1 CFD is 1 share. OK you never actually own the shares or have any owner rights.
I will probably look at other CFD Co's as it seems the way to go, for me at least. I view it as a much fairer way to trade!
Jon's point about the in/out cost of the CFD is important, especially if you trade small.

I will look at others and revert.

Dave

thanks guys :)

davidnorman,

Yes, I'm using sharescope realtime. I think it's ok, but a little bit expensive. Actually I didn't get round to it yet, but Dave (Euro_d) is using prorealtime and he's very happy with it, and it is cheaper (may be you could give us a review Dave).

I was going to post at the beginning of the day the shares in my watchlist, but the problem is that they're too many. I usually run a filter in the evening checking for prices that closed near the 12ema. From these I then check the daily charts to see where they are in terms of support and resistance. First I look at at 6 month chart, where I plot the 12, 50 and 200 ema. (At the moment I'm using candlesticks). Then I check a longer term chart, and I go as far as it seems necessary to find historical s/r levels (just to know where they are). I also check a 10day line chart. (Actually, I do this before checking the daily chart I think...). If the 10 day chart prints s/r levels that seem to be very clear, and the price is going towards one of those, I keep it in the watchlist. The following day I look at the open, and I plot in the daily chart standard pivots, and previous day's close, high and low. Then I look for the ones that open near or above yesterday's close. For the moment that is the kind of thing I'm looking at in the morning. I forgot to say that after checking the things I had in my watchlist, I look at the whole FTSE350. It sounds like a lot, but actually after discarding the ones with crazy spreads that show bad liquidity, they're not so many. This is the feature I like about sharescope, and is that you can list this very easily and then navigate the list really quickly. But I have the feeling that I am paying this feature a little bit too expensive...:) Ok, I just pass almost everything. But I check the ones that had been going down during the morning (at the moment I am only playing the long side), and that seem to have broken the downtrend. Then I check the 10day chart and 3month chart to check if there is a reason for the slowing down. (That was the case with the CNE trade). I also found very helpful to check the average true range over 14 periods in the daily chart, just to keep my feet on the ground about how far the price can go. And I also check how much of the ATR has been 'used up' to know what to expect. Oh, and something really important that I base my decision of either taking the trade or I pass it, is how much I am going to lose if I am wrong. (Sometimes it is annoying to have this rule around because many of these moves are great, but I am just not ready for them. May be one day! :) ) If I can't find a stop loss that makes me feel comfortable with the trade, I pass it.
I hope this is not too confusing...By the way, there is lots of rubbish in my watchlist, and I think that sometimes I just get a lucky day ;) I am just starting with daytrading, so there is going to be lots of improvement on my filtering I hope, at the moment I am not very efficient :) I just take this filtering as a place to start rather than taking it as an absolute formula for winners, which I don't think it exists by the way...

(wow, look how long this post became! You see, that's what happens when Silvia is feeling lucky. Next time you might consider asking questions in my unlucky days... ;) )
Good trading, and I hope my post helps.

Silvia.

(by the way, prorealtime has free eod software. You can find it here: www.prorealtime.com )

CHTR PowerRating

is 4.

http://www.powerratings.net

A stock with a PowerRating of 10 performs 16.9 times better than the S&P 500.

Am long in :
BATS
CHTR
ISYS
MSY
NWG
TNN

Seems we are in difficult times as most of the above are treading water, well it is better than a loss.
Opened ADN yesterday and it promptly dropped to the stop and closed itself.

Am still active on the indices but that is also tough the last few weeks.

Good trading to all,
Dave[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Thanks for that it is reallty good to see how other people are trading...

Regards

Dave

ps when i've worked out what i do i will post it......all a bit experimental at mo.

silviaic said:
thanks guys :)

davidnorman,

Yes, I'm using sharescope realtime. I think it's ok, but a little bit expensive. Actually I didn't get round to it yet, but Dave (Euro_d) is using prorealtime and he's very happy with it, and it is cheaper (may be you could give us a review Dave).

I was going to post at the beginning of the day the shares in my watchlist, but the problem is that they're too many. I usually run a filter in the evening checking for prices that closed near the 12ema. From these I then check the daily charts to see where they are in terms of support and resistance. First I look at at 6 month chart, where I plot the 12, 50 and 200 ema. (At the moment I'm using candlesticks). Then I check a longer term chart, and I go as far as it seems necessary to find historical s/r levels (just to know where they are). I also check a 10day line chart. (Actually, I do this before checking the daily chart I think...). If the 10 day chart prints s/r levels that seem to be very clear, and the price is going towards one of those, I keep it in the watchlist. The following day I look at the open, and I plot in the daily chart standard pivots, and previous day's close, high and low. Then I look for the ones that open near or above yesterday's close. For the moment that is the kind of thing I'm looking at in the morning. I forgot to say that after checking the things I had in my watchlist, I look at the whole FTSE350. It sounds like a lot, but actually after discarding the ones with crazy spreads that show bad liquidity, they're not so many. This is the feature I like about sharescope, and is that you can list this very easily and then navigate the list really quickly. But I have the feeling that I am paying this feature a little bit too expensive...:) Ok, I just pass almost everything. But I check the ones that had been going down during the morning (at the moment I am only playing the long side), and that seem to have broken the downtrend. Then I check the 10day chart and 3month chart to check if there is a reason for the slowing down. (That was the case with the CNE trade). I also found very helpful to check the average true range over 14 periods in the daily chart, just to keep my feet on the ground about how far the price can go. And I also check how much of the ATR has been 'used up' to know what to expect. Oh, and something really important that I base my decision of either taking the trade or I pass it, is how much I am going to lose if I am wrong. (Sometimes it is annoying to have this rule around because many of these moves are great, but I am just not ready for them. May be one day! :) ) If I can't find a stop loss that makes me feel comfortable with the trade, I pass it.
I hope this is not too confusing...By the way, there is lots of rubbish in my watchlist, and I think that sometimes I just get a lucky day ;) I am just starting with daytrading, so there is going to be lots of improvement on my filtering I hope, at the moment I am not very efficient :) I just take this filtering as a place to start rather than taking it as an absolute formula for winners, which I don't think it exists by the way...

(wow, look how long this post became! You see, that's what happens when Silvia is feeling lucky. Next time you might consider asking questions in my unlucky days... ;) )
Good trading, and I hope my post helps.

Silvia.

(by the way, prorealtime has free eod software. You can find it here: www.prorealtime.com )