Active day and swing traders

Splitlink said:
PRTY looks to me as if it is trying to break upwards. If it's imagination, then I have a stop in place.
B/O at 80.8

Split
Hi Split,

Is this a day trade? If not, holding over tomorrow's KPIs publication is a bit of a gamble!

Cheers,

Mark

solskjaer20 said:
covered CNE @ 1703. too much churning going on, besides i'm going out for lunch...so want to close out my positions.

good trading to everyone.

i should have left it open... :rolleyes:

marben said:
Hi Split,

Is this a day trade? If not, holding over tomorrow's KPIs publication is a bit of a gamble!

Cheers,

Mark

To late! I'm overnight! Stop's close, though.

Split

'morning all,

Well done split! PRTY loking good so far.

Short RIO @ 2118 (v short term day trade). After yesterday's plunge (again) in the US markets, am expecting a lot of negatiity in UK markets this morning.

Good trading all!

Mark

Oops closed RIO trade again @ B/E. I think I was a little early - will have another crack shortly...

mornin' all

still standing clear at the mo. in the end ftse took no notice of the 160 dow rise nor it's 133 drop yesterday - it's as if it never happened. still looking very weak tho and, barring a very strong day today, it looks like i'll be favouring shorts with any longs on reduced positions.

good trading

jon

Watch out for LSE intra-day auction after 10:00am (third Friday of month futures expiry)

marben said:
'morning all,

Well done split! PRTY loking good so far.

Short RIO @ 2118 (v short term day trade). After yesterday's plunge (again) in the US markets, am expecting a lot of negatiity in UK markets this morning.

Good trading all!

Mark

Here's someone who doesn't read the newspapers! It's all in the charts, but you took me by surprise last night! Stop's just above break even, just to give it some room, so could still lose most of it.

Split

Hi Guys and welcome solskjaer20,

Just to give signs of life. I am so staying out of this market :confused:
Meanwhile I'm doing a little bit of research as a result of the bad results I've got with HG. short (by the way theblackmamba, I think you've got out really well there). Even when the trade didn't cost me more than 3% of my trading capital, It did raise questions about how to deal with the unpredictable rare event that wipes out what you made before. How many of these would make me broke? How profitable do I need to be in order to cope with these? What's the right balance between the risk exposure to these big gaps and profitability? I've got in a very interesting subject. I'll post some of my little findings later, they're well known by all of you as you demonstrated in previous posts, but I'd enjoy discussing the subject with you. I'll post it somewhere else though, to not disrupt this thread. I'll let you know :D

My vision of this big down days: I don't know! It's too early for me. Even when the size of the correction makes me feel we are near the end of this long bull market we enjoyed the last few years, we're are getting near the 200-ema (I'm talking FTSE100). I looked at individual shares, and as Jon said in a previous post, it takes courage to go long (what I'm lacking :LOL: ). Most signals are long, but it's true that when price approaches support, signals are going to indicate to go long! What doesn't mean the support is not going to be broken. I think more experienced traders than me probably are out there taking their chances, and there are what look like good opportunities out there. But I'm still waiting...If we're entering a bear market, I'm waiting for a rally after this big reaction is finished. This rally should fail very clearly previous high. For example, up to 5400 (300 points, which raises the question: shouldn't I be going long? The problem is that I don't know when this reaction will be finished...it should be soon, at 5100?) Well, anyway. I'm not going short because I'm expecting this rally. I also don't know if the bull market is finished. After the reaction is finished the bull market can be back very strong, renewed and rejuvenated after this big breath. However, I don't want to stay out of the market for so long. I'm watching everything very closely, and I'm stuck! :eek:

Ok guys, wish you good trading!

Silvia.

silviaic said:

...The problem is that I don't know when this reaction will be finished...it should be soon, at 5100?) Well, anyway. I'm not going short because I'm expecting this rally. I also don't know if the bull market is finished. After the reaction is finished the bull market can be back very strong, renewed and rejuvenated after this big breath. However, I don't want to stay out of the market for so long. I'm watching everything very closely, and I'm stuck! :eek:

Silvia.
Hi Silvia,

I think you're very wise staying out. Both Jon & I are flat too (except for me tinkering about with day trades). As you say, the markets aren't yet giving a clear direction. Remember: better to miss some profit than take losses which are harder to recoup.

Most here seem agreed that trading is v. tricky at the moment: might as well wait until it gets easier: it will! As stated before, my gut feel/reasoning is that markets wil start moving up again in November but I wouldn't trade on it until there's some clear evidence.

Probably a good thing that I'll be on holiday for the 1st couple of weeks of November and hence will avoid temptation! By the time I get back, things should be much clearer (I hope).

Regards,

Mark

silviaic said:

Meanwhile I'm doing a little bit of research as a result of the bad results I've got with HG. short (by the way theblackmamba, I think you've got out really well there). Even when the trade didn't cost me more than 3% of my trading capital, It did raise questions about how to deal with the unpredictable rare event that wipes out what you made before. How many of these would make me broke? How profitable do I need to be in order to cope with these? What's the right balance between the risk exposure to these big gaps and profitability? I've got in a very interesting subject. I'll post some of my little findings later, they're well known by all of you as you demonstrated in previous posts, but I'd enjoy discussing the subject with you. I'll post it somewhere else though, to not disrupt this thread. I'll let you know :D

My vision of this big down days: I don't know! It's too early for me. Even when the size of the correction makes me feel we are near the end of this long bull market we enjoyed the last few years, we're are getting near the 200-ema (I'm talking FTSE100). I looked at individual shares, and as Jon said in a previous post, it takes courage to go long (what I'm lacking :LOL: ). Most signals are long, but it's true that when price approaches support, signals are going to indicate to go long! What doesn't mean the support is not going to be broken. I think more experienced traders than me probably are out there taking their chances, and there are what look like good opportunities out there. But I'm still waiting...If we're entering a bear market, I'm waiting for a rally after this big reaction is finished. This rally should fail very clearly previous high. For example, up to 5400 (300 points, which raises the question: shouldn't I be going long? The problem is that I don't know when this reaction will be finished...it should be soon, at 5100?) Well, anyway. I'm not going short because I'm expecting this rally. I also don't know if the bull market is finished. After the reaction is finished the bull market can be back very strong, renewed and rejuvenated after this big breath. However, I don't want to stay out of the market for so long. I'm watching everything very closely, and I'm stuck! :eek:

Silvia.

Silvia

Is you indecision due to lack of a trading set-up?

Be honest and ask yourself how do you decide when to enter a trade. Do you trade on a whim, ad hoc, a feeling, an opinion, a viewpoint or do you have a set of rules written down that you have tested and know the probability of success/failure that they give. And do you stick to the rules only modifying them in the light of analysis and probability?

Regards

bracke

barjon said:
mornin' all

still standing clear at the mo. in the end ftse took no notice of the 160 dow rise nor it's 133 drop yesterday - it's as if it never happened. still looking very weak tho and, barring a very strong day today, it looks like i'll be favouring shorts with any longs on reduced positions.

good trading

jon
Hi Jon,

Not entirely true! Intraday, the FTSE did perk up from the close of about 5180 on 19th to about 5220 yesterday morning, however, as US futures predicted an increasingly lower opening for the DOW (and the US indexes DID actually move lower sharply), it gave up those gains again, to end up below where it started.

Cheers,

Mark

silviaic said:

Silvia.

hi silvia and thank you.

i hear what you are saying about the markets, however i think i probably trade differently then most on here...i only trade intraday, and do not swing/position trade...one of the main reasons, being gap ups/down...for me anyway i can usualy find atleast one or two trades a day, which more often then not i take, regardless of the overall market...i guess as a 'longer term' trader you are right in taking your time and judging the overall market sentiment.

good trading to everyone.

Something for me to worry about over the weekend- if I don't get stopped this afternoon, while at work.

B/O BARC at 541.1

Split

Last edited: