Active day and swing traders

Naz said:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info on your trades.I've got to list all my day trades now live, on a new web site.

At least i have the help of a new intra day scanner that is giving live calls at the same time i'm commenting.There's another trader doing the same for Forex and another for UK swing trading.Should be released to everyone in about 4 weeks.No doubt T2W will advertise it.

All the best.

Alan

alan,

ah, bit of advance notice, eh - wondered what we'd done to merit your exhalted company :cheesy:

regards and good trading

jon

Hi Jon,

Yes i know its a bit cheeky,I do apologise.However its worth mentioning what new things are coming out to help traders.This new scanner finds everything for myself and any potential customer,i add my commentary and show all my trades.All in real time.

On the US daytraders thread
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14526&page=43&pp=10

The first two posts i showed using this new scanning system had three intra day trades that ran 1000 points.With my live entries and exits mentioned at the same time.

All the best and thanks for being understanding.

Alan

Hi all,
I have lurked for some time more a swing trader than interday. Have taken the following 2 trades today
BOC 1085.75 target 1150.00
PRU 476.35 target 515,00

regards
Ollie

hi ollie

a lot of us aren't primarily intraday - just active. so whatever timescale you have in mind doesn't matter.

interesting couple of trades - hope they run well for you

good trading

jon

Well, very slowly things start to take shape in my head. I'm still very shy with this market, but there we went into a short position on RBS.

Good trading!

Silvia.

silviaic said:
Well, very slowly things start to take shape in my head. I'm still very shy with this market, but there we went into a short position on RBS.

Good trading!

Silvia.

Hi Silvia,

Banks! Well I did very well with BARC and, today, decided that it was time to short. The one I selected was NRK. S/O at 781.2 with a stop at 788.

Here's the good part. I decided to close out at 787.3, just a split point away from my stop., but the stop got triggered at the same time so I ended up with a long position open. Decided to see what would happen and the share ended about 10 points up on the day, although the first losing trade took some of the shine off. Sometimes these accidental mistakes can pay off. I'm hoping for a good move tomorrow.

Split

Splitlink said:
Hi Silvia,

Banks! Well I did very well with BARC and, today, decided that it was time to short. The one I selected was NRK. S/O at 781.2 with a stop at 788.

Here's the good part. I decided to close out at 787.3, just a split point away from my stop., but the stop got triggered at the same time so I ended up with a long position open. Decided to see what would happen and the share ended about 10 points up on the day, although the first losing trade took some of the shine off. Sometimes these accidental mistakes can pay off. I'm hoping for a good move tomorrow.

Split

Weird things happen! :D At some stage of my trading I thought I had found the holly grail. The perfect trading system. Assuming I have a 40% chance of being right, the smart thing to do is to play the other way. So if I think I'll should be short, I go long. If I think I should be long I go short! That would give me a winning probability of 60%. I'm still considering this possibility. :LOL:

Banks: I thought I was going to be stopped out towards the end of the day, there was an important rally on the last 1/2 hour of trading. When it didn't happen I thought: well, it's going to happen at the opening, I hope I don't get too bad a price. I'm still in, but just at BE point. I'm not sure I chose the bank with most down potential though. :|
And I'm not sure that it's the right time to get in :) We'll see. The sector is topping towards the 200-ema, but as I always think: a resistance is also there to be broken.

Good trading!

Silvia.

New trade: Short SDR...

Last edited:
mornin' all

strange morning - ftse opened around flat and went up in defiance of all the blood red on my screen, very odd.

Out yesterday only to come back and find that 6 shorts had triggered, but I only had orders in for 2 of them - emg and gus . The others were hbos, rbs, lloy and sge.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
mornin' all

strange morning - ftse opened around flat and went up in defiance of all the blood red on my screen, very odd.

Out yesterday only to come back and find that 6 shorts had triggered, but I only had orders in for 2 of them - emg and gus . The others were hbos, rbs, lloy and sge.

good trading

jon

I am hoping to repeat my performance with BARC by buying HBOS.

Nice weekend

Split

Good morning all,
So we are at the end of a month again and time to reflect on my swing trades.
As you will have noticed I found October to be very difficult and therefore have only entered 11 trades, 2 are still open.

Of the 9 closed 3 made a profit. Having carefully reviewed my closing strategy I am happy to report that none of the closed trades bounced back after closure. That indicates to me that I have got my closing strategy much better, at last!

So, a losing month on swing trades. Fortunately, my intraday trades, whilst not spectacular, have more than compensated and are showing a reasonable profit.

Good trading to all
Dave

Euro_d said:
Good morning all,

Of the 9 closed 3 made a profit. Having carefully reviewed my closing strategy I am happy to report that none of the closed trades bounced back after closure. That indicates to me that I have got my closing strategy much better, at last!...

Congrats Dave!

I'm out of RBS short at breakeven, as it is not behaving the way I thought. I think soon I'll be out of SDR too, I'm seeing it just now going towards my be stop.

Good trading!

Silvia.

(May be I should consider shorter term trades?)

ll i just checked my UK swing trades and almost fell off my seat when i checked out O2.I thought my charts were playing up! FTSE stocks dont move like that.Thats only done by Nasdaq stocks!

Anyway i attach my account details to assure you they were accurate.

You dont get many gifts like that in the ftse 100 so i sold out and took my profit of 25% in just over two weeks.

Attachments

• O21.gif
    O21.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 244
  • O.gif
    O.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 232
  • O22.gif
    O22.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
mornin' all

beginning to look just as well i wasn't in last week to take those shorts :D

out of barc for a small loss emg and gus still running short although slightly underwater with sab still looking happy on the long side.

silviac - i wouldn't necessarily be tempted to shorter timescales, but have you considered locking in some profit when you've had a favourable move - an amount equal to your initial risk for example.

I don't know what took you into rbs or what your initial stop loss was. for me, had i taken the trade, i would have entered around 1551 with a stop around 1579 or 28 points. half position could have closed at 1523 and stop on the remainder either raised to entry point (guaranteeing overall profit) or left to run with break-even overall the worst outcome. if you're using cfd you'd need to include costs in the calculations.

you might also be influenced by the longer term - rbs is near the bottom of its longer term trading range and the risk of a bounce (for your short trade) is present.

hope this helps

good trading

jon

Attachments

• rbsdaily.JPG
    rbsdaily.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 207
  • rbs.JPG
    rbs.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 210
Naz said:
ll i just checked my UK swing trades and almost fell off my seat when i checked out O2.I thought my charts were playing up! FTSE stocks dont move like that.Thats only done by Nasdaq stocks!

Anyway i attach my account details to assure you they were accurate.

You dont get many gifts like that in the ftse 100 so i sold out and took my profit of 25% in just over two weeks.

nice one, alan - what triggered your trade in the first place?

good trading

jon

barjon said:
mornin' all
silviac - i wouldn't necessarily be tempted to shorter timescales, but have you considered locking in some profit when you've had a favourable move - an amount equal to your initial risk for example.

I don't know what took you into rbs or what your initial stop loss was. for me, had i taken the trade, i would have entered around 1551 with a stop around 1579 or 28 points. half position could have closed at 1523 and stop on the remainder either raised to entry point (guaranteeing overall profit) or left to run with break-even overall the worst outcome. if you're using cfd you'd need to include costs in the calculations.

you might also be influenced by the longer term - rbs is near the bottom of its longer term trading range and the risk of a bounce (for your short trade) is present.

Hi Jon, good points! My idea was to position myself for a possible break of the support, which didn't happen. I got out at my be point, so no loss. My problem with taking a small profit is that I have to choose between the reason for entering the trade, and the quick profit. I decided to stick to the first one, but I think on friday the intraday action gave me clues to think that it wasn't going to happen. I still have to resolve that point of my trading, when am I giving it room to breath and when am I just 'hoping'? :) I still can't tune with this market! By the way, I'm out of SDR too...so again with no open positions...

Good trading!

Silvia.

barjon said:
nice one, alan - what triggered your trade in the first place?

good trading

jon

Well this isn't very professional but all i hoped to do was catch the next swing.I trade it because its very liquid has tight spreads is slow to boring and because its in an uptrend should slowly grind to the next swing high where i would sell it.Then wait for the next pull back and do it all again.I didn't want something volatile for this type of grinding trade just something that would gently give me about 7% month.This month it did exceedingly well.
Now its moved so much its lost its character and i'd have to wait for a new character to form before i wanted to get involved again.

Naz

Here's an example of another one.BATS

Just moved up to its 7% profit target in the last two weeks.

Attachment 3 and 4 is another, STAN which has run 8.5% in the last two weeks.

Naz

Attachments

• bats.gif
    bats.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 201
  • batts.gif
    batts.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 197
  • stan.gif
    stan.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 199
  • stan2.gif
    stan2.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
B/C BG @ 526.6. Loss 8.6 points after 3-4 hours trying. Tried to be clever and catch a turn at the top. Never happened, of course. :eek:

Split