ACD Methodology

Mr. H

ACD Method

Greetings to All,

I would like to explore the ACD Methodology by Mark B. Fisher mentioned on the following link: http://www.TheLogicalTrader.net

Has anyone live / paper traded the above method or backtested it and wouldn't mind telling his / her own experience with it.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Mr. H

Last edited:
I've used it on and off for about a year now. You have to have the appetite for the large risk that it requires usually for the breakout trades in the methodology. For fades, the risk is more manageable. He obviously walks the walk with being the largest crude oil trader in the business. His book was very enjoyable and has some other good ideas besides ACD. He did a lecture series at NYMEX...here it is...pretty entertaining stuff: http://www.clicklive.com/NYMEX/symposium_2003/index.htm

It definitely warrants more exploration on your part as a worthwhile strat.

oh yeh, I primarily use it on index futures to an extent and use my own flavor to develop the acd number. They offer a service to compute these numbers for you daily and you can get a trial. You can find it at mbfcc.com. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

haub said:
I've used it on and off for about a year now. You have to have the appetite for the large risk that it requires usually for the breakout trades in the methodology. For fades, the risk is more manageable. He obviously walks the walk with being the largest crude oil trader in the business. His book was very enjoyable and has some other good ideas besides ACD. He did a lecture series at NYMEX...here it is...pretty entertaining stuff: http://www.clicklive.com/NYMEX/symposium_2003/index.htm

It definitely warrants more exploration on your part as a worthwhile strat.
haub,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regards,
Mr. H

acd system

For what its worth I trade acd systems and it works a beaut - particularly on google .
The best effects are with a weekly swing trade with a 60 minute charts with your pivot points drawn in .

iof you need any more infor give me a shout

liam fitz :cool:

on a weekly 2 hour - 1.5 dollars above the breakout point . on a daily 75 cents above breakout - but and this is a big but I havent calculated these figures based on fishers volatility calculation - as i cant find the formula or work it out - its just observation !

but if you do have an algoriithim or a method of working out a and c points - please let me know

regards

A C D Method

Does anyone have any formula / numbers / alogrithm's to find values for A and C .

After watching the Fisher videos, I have to say his method certainly warrants further investigation.

Also I'm slightly puzzled at the lack of response so far to the thread starter.

Has anyone watched these vids? C'mon guys this thread needs a helping hand :!:

counter

CV

are these the videos from the link, I have looked at these, he sounds an entertaining speaker.....tho I cannot see any video I only get the sound.....I guess I must have some settings wrong ??anything u can advise on ?

Thanks

Jay

counter_violent said:
Does anyone have any formula / numbers / alogrithm's to find values for A and C .

After watching the Fisher videos, I have to say his method certainly warrants further investigation.

Also I'm slightly puzzled at the lack of response so far to the thread starter.

Has anyone watched these vids? C'mon guys this thread needs a helping hand :!:

counter

This method seems similar to the one I used when I first started trading. It worked well in volatile markets but I found it hard to deal with narrow range days and eventually gave up on the idea. I have ordered the book, as I am interested in trying this again. I was doing this with spread bets but I think it will only work well intra-day with a direct access futures account.

working out a and c points is diificult and the information is only available to members of mbf.com .- but of vourse you would have to join. So you need a bit of guess work and observation .

Pivots are of course integral to the system and you can still place excellent trades by keeping aware of whre the pivot points - the pivot high and the pivot low are for the stock .

More details are found in The Logical trader by Mark fisher which i would heartily recommend to anyone interested in trading rather than the usual timewasting and expensive literature .

He tells you how to work out A and C points in the video clips. It seems quite easy but I will have to view it again to jot down the details.

Edit:-

I got that wrong, he does say that they are a % of the 10 to 30 day average moving range but there are not specific details.

Last edited:
I've been calculating the A & C values like this: (10 day ATR + 30 day ATR)/2. Add this number to the opening range figures on each side for your values. Is this the way he calculates...not necessarily sure...but it works for me.

Example: For the YM I use a 15 minute opening range
Opening range=10450-10470
10 day ATR=26
30 day ATR=30
A & C value would =28 from the info above
A Up=10498
A Down=10422

Now for some futures he uses different values for A and C. I don't incorporate this so I just use them as he does with stocks which would be the same values for both A and C.

What's the downside of using his methodology. As stated above, trading ranges can eat u up. Wide stops are required and this is the biggest problem with the method imo. If you incorporate pivot ranges sometimes they can help you to narrow the stop a bit.

For Forex, A and C figures given recently on Mark B. Fisher's website include:-

USD/CHF: A = 11 pips, C = 22 pips
EUR/USD: A = 10 pips, C = 12.5 pips
USD/JPY: A = 8 pips, C = 15 pips
USD/CAD A = 7 pips, C = 7 pips

Mark B. Fisher has also been quoted as saying that for Forex trading with his ACD system, you can in general take 10% of the ATR(10) for the A figure, and 15% of the ATR(10) for the C figure, and that this "system" will be about as reliable as any other way of working it out.

Go figure. :)

Hope someone can answer this.

I was thinking of looking at the pivot areas on the intra-day Euro/USD. I think that he considers the Euro/USD to open at 3am US eastern time, or 8am GMT. Is this used as the open time for the pivot calculation or is it derived from the usual OHLC? If he does use 8am GMT, is there also another closing time?

Roberto said:
For Forex, A and C figures given recently on Mark B. Fisher's website include:-

USD/CHF: A = 11 pips, C = 22 pips
EUR/USD: A = 10 pips, C = 12.5 pips
USD/JPY: A = 8 pips, C = 15 pips
USD/CAD A = 7 pips, C = 7 pips

Mark B. Fisher has also been quoted as saying that for Forex trading with his ACD system, you can in general take 10% of the ATR(10) for the A figure, and 15% of the ATR(10) for the C figure, and that this "system" will be about as reliable as any other way of working it out.

Go figure. :)

roberto , at the risk of being stupid what in the name of heaven is atr - is it average true range and how do i calculate it ? and more importantly do you feel it works on stocks as well - given the appropriate criteria ?

liam fitzpatrick

many thanks

liamfitz said:
roberto , at the risk of being stupid what in the name of heaven is atr - is it average true range and how do i calculate it ? and more importantly do you feel it works on stocks as well - given the appropriate criteria ?

liam fitzpatrick

many thanks

ATR has always stood for the average true range and you can find its definition by doing some googling...

ACD system

Hello to all
I have the ACD Book and i want to sell it who are interessed contact me
forexliving @ yahoo . com only 20 buks
Have the best