A severe risk to YOUR trading business

s-a

TRAD - A severe risk to YOUR trading business

Hello,

I've been a customer of TS for just over a year now. I can now say without a doubt that there customer service is the worst I have ever experienced as an international customer (non USA). They have absolutely no concern or awareness for their current customer base, instead they are marketing driven, with insatiable desire to get new customers. In the process though, they greatly neglect their current customer base. The neglect is extreme and in my opinion is a serious risk to anyones trading business. I have posted prolifically about these topics in their online forum - they just don't care about the problems. This game of trading is hard enough without having a broker work against you.

Let me start with some examples over the past year that I have had to put up with...

When I first started with TRAD I was told that I would be able to trade FX automatically via programmable strategies. Of course after I opened the account, I found out that this wasn't true because FX order integration is not part of TRAD. All orders need to be placed via this really crappy third party RJO platform (early GFT technology) that crashes on a regular basis with CORBA communication errors. For ITX orders in a fast moving market a requote window appears and disappears so quickly that the Windows OS does not even get time to paint the screen (no kidding).

Ok, fine then. I can't auto trade my strategies, at least I can backtest them! Well, sort of. At the time there was only 3 months worth of intraday data (took over 6 months to get more intraday data), so backtesting isn't going to do much good. Oh and if you want to use tick data, you can only backtest back 30 days!! They do not allow you to get anymore tick data then that - you have to build up your cache manually.

Then there is the term they use called a 'reconnect'. This happens fairly often (for a while it was happening every night). The effects of a reconnect are an unusable tradestation as it does not receive any data - so your charting just stops working, your charts completely freeze. According to TRAD, a reconnect is a normal nightly procedure that "normally" goes unnoticed (this isn't the case though, it consistently is noticed). For quite a long period though, it was certainly noticed. You see, TRAD doesn't think it is a big deal because the reconnects all happened during the early morning of the USA. What time is that around the world though? It just so happens it was bang on the London open - terrible time for any FX trader to have no charts. Typically this would happen at 0900 GMT and last for 10-20 mins, sometimes up to 30 mins.

The other day I wanted to go short CAD/CHF. When trying to enter the order via the crappy third party order entry platform, I got a divide by zero exception!! I used to be a programmer, so I know exactly what has happened here. Programmer error. A fatal exception like this happens when the programmer does not check that a divide by zero event can ever occur. I had already entered into the trade via ITX so getting in was no problem, however, now that I was in I wanted to place a stop and could not! I had to end up calling the trading desk (long distance from New Zealand), wait on hold for some time, have the guy put in an order for me. What a pain in the ass. Then to top it off, I couldn't modify the order without getting the same divide by zero exception. If I wanted to modify this stop I had to call their trading desk each time.

Then there is the issue of EUREX data. There is one tradestation customer who was promised EUREX data something like 3 years ago. In fact, that is why he joined up back then. They still do not have EUREX data and give no hint to the customers when they might provide the service despite the pleas from the users.

Finally, they have an online support forum which they host. Apparently users are able to ask questions and they get help from the community as well as employees from TRAD. Those guys there are probably really nice people, but the support they give is often useless. More times then I can count, they would reply with a response to call the trading desk. Most of the questions do not require the customer to call the desk and the TRAD customer service rep could easily assist the user on the forum. I complained about this on their forums and they moderate my post - delete it. I was in no violation of the forum rules, but yet they choose to moderate me. They will not have anyone criticize them on the forum, they will moderate you.

What makes me most furious isn't so much the technical things that do not work, but rather the terrible customer service one receives. They either do not value their current clients and appear more focused on acquiring new clients. There must be some serious internal issues for them to be so inept in their customer service and understanding the needs of the customers.

I'm off to another charting / brokering solution which is cheaper, has tighter spreads on FX and is not counter party to my trades, has a universal account (instead of a separate account for stocks, futures, FX), lets me hold my cash in a choice of currencies, and lets me trade on EUREX.

MK

Last edited:
Rather than all the prolific posting on your problems why not just use someone else?

Pick a decent broker, buy some decent back-testing software and get your data from a
decent data company.

jmreeve,

If you read the entire post you will realize I have already taken steps towards this.

I posted this to try and stop others from going through the pain I have. Had I found this sort of information before I became a customer I wouldn't have signed up.

MK

Thanks for the insight s-a

it just goes to show that it is not all sweetness and light with Tradestation - the market leader in Mechanical trading system charting? If the "best" company in this area provide a far from faultless service - it does not inspire much hope/confidence for using their competitors!

The types of problems that you talk about - disconnections etc. are just no good for any trader - trying to operate a business. Perhaps we are still a few I.T. years away from good enough across the board reliability in trading software, broker platforms, connections etc.?

The moderation of posts within tradestationworld is very poor - if they don't want to receive criticism - they should improve their service. If they want to breed trust between themselves and their clients - they should not be deleting their posts, or not solving the problems!

At least other companies like Oanda - who have a discussion area for customers and prospective customers to view - do (did) have a discussion area - where criticisms were viewable.

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
Indeed jtrader - indeed.

Yes, OANDA seem good, I have an account there. Also opening one up at IB so I can get EUREX and use their IDEAL PRO ECN for spot FX.

MK

Besides the issue of trading with the same tradeable prices that are in TS8.1 data (which is desirable) - i.e. RJOFX - wouldn't the prospect of trading with a broker on this side of the Atlantic "seem" more secure in terms of solving any problems that do arise, contacting them etc?

Cheers

jtrader.

hi sa,

who do you have in mind to switch to? the idea of having a single account to cover fx, futures and the like is the way to go,( xpresstrade and ib, so far are the only ones I have noticed, but havn't been looking to hard ), and i think will catch on more and more.

Im worried about holding a usd account for futures with the way the dollar is going, but with an fx function in the same account it is handy to use for trading as well as to set up a hedge on the dollar balance.

Anyway i'd be interested to hear who you switch to and why.

jtrader,

I live in New Zealand so whatever side of the atlantic it is on probably won't help me :) I know what you are saying though. Part of me says it shouldn't matter, we have the Internet which should make it easy. When I used to use OptionsXpress for my options trading they where great. You could chat to them online and get immediate support. TRAD has nothing like this, and they always expect you to call their desk. Frankly, I got sick of calling their desk at my expense. The other part of me says in following your suggestion you are probably reducing your risk - always a good thing.

ERA,

I have already opened an OANDA account and will also open an IB account. For charting I will use Ensign with the IB TWS API. My main focus is spot FX but with IB I will also trade some bunds on EUREX as well. IB allow you to do an unleveraged hedge on your entire account with their IDEAL platform (not to be confused with IDEAL PRO) which allows you to protect your cash. Pretty cool.

The entire solution is cheaper and seems more complete then it was with TRAD. But my main focus is customer service. I have read good things about both these brokers on the other board (ET) and here.

MK

Sorry s-a -

I meant Pacific ;) - the prospect of trading with a broker on the other side of the Pacific! (I'm always getting my oceans mixed up!

jtrader.

I suppose a good option to use when you need to make International phone calls to your broker or software vendor would be to use a service such as http://www.firstnumber.co.uk - who offer cheap International call rates.

Cheers

jtrader

Full of good ideas jtrader - thanks for the link. I had considered using skypeout but haven't done so yet.

MK

Personally I think that Tradestation is the absolute dogs bolluks for charting.
I would have to agree that the support is FAR from perfect and needs considerable improvement just to get to a satisfactory level... On the other hand I have not found problems with trade execution tho have heard nasty stories .....

Personally, I dont use Tradestation for execution but I do use TS2000i for charting etc and the support in this area has been good in my view. Maybe it is the brokerage and later versions that are troublesome.

Paul

For FX, one could not even use tradestation for execution...you need to use a bug ridden third party application (the very old GFT platform, before their new dealbook).

MK

s-a

I have just started using skypeout and have been very impressed with the quality. There is a small delay when calling internationally to a mobile, but the very low costs make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the info purpleKiwi, this is the first user report I have had about it. I'll give it a shot next time I call long distance.

MK

One correction to my original post - I forgot to clarify that I only trade stocks and futures. I can well believe that the FX trading side is not very good.

Tradestation just went into my black book too.
On friday I had open positions in Mar FX futures. At around 13:15GMT a load of trades went through on my TS screen which I knew my system could not have generated. First of all they doubled my positions and then closed them out all together...About 1 minute after this has occurred, while I am still trying to figure out what in Hell is going on, I get a call from TS to say I should log off and log back on to make everything right.
After logging back on I notice I am flat. I called back to tell them that the trades had not actually disappeared and they told me that they had taken the decision to close out my positions as FND is Monday. This was Friday however and my system was going to close out post figure at around 15:00hrs. They just kept telling me that their compliance department has the right to close out my positions withoout informing me within 5 days of delivery date.
I have been in these markets for 12 years and never ever had this sort of thing happen before. It is simply the most ridiculous load of cr*p. The guys I have spoken to at TS are a bunch of moronic zombies. Beware you are really dealing with the clueless. I cannot seem to get to anybody who claims responsibility for what occurred and is prepared to compensate me accordingly. One thing that really pisses me off is the fact that some bloke called me immediately after doing the trades on my account and told me to log off and log back on...why didn't the idiot call before executing? tw*t.
I have been testing TS for the past few months in order to find these sorts of problems before. This one just made up my mind. I am now looking for alternatives.

TW,

That's shocking, when some prat phones you straight away trying to smooth things over you know there has been a monumental c0ck up on their side. Your right to give them the boot.

twalker,

Wow, I have heard of this sort of thing happening with some posts on TSW, however I have never heard all the detail you are talking about. I wonder if TRAD moderate the negative comments on this subject on TSW? I guess they would seeing as they moderated me for just saying their customer service was terrible. Sorry to hear about your experience twalker :(

MK

Edit: I should add that I had only heard about this on pit traded futures, you are talking about GLOBEX though, aren't you?

Last edited: