2013 Top Traders

NVP

Guest Author
heres Currency Trader magazines list of top 2013 Traders .........

Pretty minimal on detail and clearly the % return tells you nothing about the risks they took to achieve it ......

may be worth looking up some of those dudes - like IronFortress

ALTAVRA | Iron Fortress FX USA (Managed Forex)

anyone know more about of some of these guys ?

N:smart:

Attachments

• currency traders.PNG
    currency traders.PNG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,898
actually now I look back at my own commentaries the % performance of Iron fortress in Feb is pretty representative given the volatility levels of January vs February

(see the second chart on the right....the spread of the x-men .....Jan vs Feb)

Feb was a peach if you sold red GBP and even Blue Euro into the risers....and in fact was an easy month to just hold solid positions on the currencies without too much need to chop and change ....

If you had take massive short positions on Yen and GBP in January (thats the white vertical dotted line month on x-men) then january would have been better for many traders on the list .......but Feb rocked as clearly GBP simply accelerated off of January's sells ...... !

Interesting !
N

Attachments

• jan feb 2013.PNG
    jan feb 2013.PNG
    318.8 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
sorry to those if you see the post above changed in last few minutes ..........I couldnt understand the movements and finally realised I had loaded the wrong chart and had to rewrite commentary

N

It's funny that Iron Fortress has 23.5% return for the first list of more than 10 million and also 23.5% return for the list below. :cheesy:

Yeah I know it's possible to explain it, but it looks like divided with a calculator to make it fit exact numbers.

BTW, amazing FREE (or not) propaganda for Iron Fortress in that magazine...

Also, this is a list of the top 10 traders among MILLIONS of TRADERS... And still, there are people with 0.51% return in a month in that extremely small number of winners, part of the 0.04% of traders who make a profit (and that's someone managing more than 1 million)... Then, you can easily guess the real picture of this "gambling business".

Last edited:
What do you mean by top traders? Do you mean the richest traders or the traders with the most points made or the traders with the most gains gathered? Or do they mean traders who've been surviving the markets for several decades? Longevity and consistency are what matter most in the markets.

When one makes an annual 20% on $3,000,000,000, he looks like a champion, but when one makes an annual 80% on $200 account, who would take him serious?

What do you mean by top traders? Do you mean the richest traders or the traders with the most points made or the traders with the most gains gathered? Or do they mean traders who've been surviving the markets for several decades? Longevity and consistency are what matter most in the markets.

When one makes an annual 20% on $3,000,000,000, he looks like a champion, but when one makes an annual 80% on $200 account, who would take him serious?

Very good post dude. :clap: I am also expecting an answer ......:idea:

This is the real thing, the capital. As the capital goes higher, it become difficult. You said right about 200$ account. I have taken full risk on this amount and made more than 100% in short time but who will risk full on 30 billion account.

This is the real thing, the capital. As the capital goes higher, it become difficult. You said right about 200$ account. I have taken full risk on this amount and made more than 100% in short time but who will risk full on 30 billion account.

Managed funds are normally very different to the trading that retail traders would engage in. I hedge only volatility using a few different crosses and return much better % wise than the average on this list, but ultimately my positions are not properly hedged for exposure beyond ensuring my capital post margin is secure based on historical norms. Returning over 20% a qtr using a full long/short structured portfolio is very difficult indeed.

Having said that, most of these funds are so small that they may not have that many partners in the first instance and may have quite a high risk appetite. You'd really need to see the capital account and basis per partner to understand what sort of policy they have and therefore how to rate them as funds. I know of some high net worth individuals who have set up funds this small on a whim and couldn't care whether they go down in flames or not, especially the funds barely over a million and often give free reign to whoever is in charge. Thus there is no comparison, like for like.

I also wouldn't take this as strict proof that it's so very hard to make money in forex... I assume these are only funds that decided to report in the first instance. I have basis in a US fx LLC that makes more than this and it's not on the list... it has no requirement to report full accounts except to the IRS and you couldn't derive the % return on trading activities from that! I guess it is public funds only that take money from any old scrub!?

absolutely no idea at all - ask the magazine

N

I know for sure that my trader would give these hedgefunds with millions a run for their money when it comes down to performance.

Yes if someone trades with 200usd naturally you would not care and risk a lot whereas millions under management... it is a different ball game.

But this strategy used by trader, he risks same percentage on any investment balance, whether it is 200usd or 20Million. The returns are the same. The trader uses 50:1 margin so most banks/brokers provide this.

I even wanted to compare it with currenssee who like the idea of competing with barclayshedge website.

My trader MISUC.A is not bad. At least he does not have 300-600pip stoploss with 5-20pip take profit that most currenssee traders undertake. This is how most of them have such a high % win.

MISUC.A is not part of their fund program. I told my trader to upload his trading strategy on there so that I can compare.

Attachments

• jojara.jpg
    jojara.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 372
  • jojarc.jpg
    jojarc.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 498
I know for sure that my trader would give these hedgefunds with millions a run for their money when it comes down to performance.

Yes if someone trades with 200usd naturally you would not care and risk a lot whereas millions under management... it is a different ball game.

But this strategy used by trader, he risks same percentage on any investment balance, whether it is 200usd or 20Million. The returns are the same. The trader uses 50:1 margin so most banks/brokers provide this.

I even wanted to compare it with currenssee who like the idea of competing with barclayshedge website.

My trader MISUC.A is not bad. At least he does not have 300-600pip stoploss with 5-20pip take profit that most currenssee traders undertake. This is how most of them have such a high % win.

MISUC.A is not part of their fund program. I told my trader to upload his trading strategy on there so that I can compare.

why not tell "your trader" to post on here instead

T2W seems to be blessed with many highly successful traders these days. They should be congratulated for sharing their unverified and, dare I say unlikely, success stories with us all.

T2W seems to be blessed with many highly successful traders these days. They should be congratulated for sharing their unverified and, dare I say unlikely, success stories with us all.

.......who seem, somehow, to be literacy poor:LOL:

Jeez - if these guys must spam the the least they could do is learn the art of writing convincing prose. :whistling

does that chart show unrecognised trading Gains / Losses ?

Thnks
N

dear zozo, how insightful. You must be very lucky to know and be close to such trader.

By the way, what is the meaning of the word "currenssee"?

dear zozo, how insightful. You must be very lucky to know and be close to such trader.

By the way, what is the meaning of the word "currenssee"?

It is a website that called currensee if I have spelt it correctly.

Big money returns are NOT the same in literal terms - I have an average fill across 3 or more ticks quite often and I only trade a few hundred contracts/lots. Trade multiple thousands and you can get a fill across a whole half point or much more during higher periods of volatility, yes even in forex. Add a point of slippage on top of the market spread to a higher frequency trader and watch your ROA disappear into the toilet. 80% effective live performance on a HF 100-day 4000% ROA = near zero real term gains with a PF of ~1.2. Possible small money returns should not be directly compared.