100k to 200m in 10 years

Have a good'un with the kids :)

No, the thing stopping me is I already earn more than 100 quid a day so to start trading full time now with only 10k to fall back on would be ridiculous. I need to be earning at least double what I do at my day job before I can consider leaving - Not much good for my kids if I go full time trading, blow the account and end up homeless is it? Commitment - I am very committed, I spend most of my time watching charts and working out what I'm going to do if market does this or that. My screentime probably at least matches yours so you can't say that my dream is not going to happen because I work for a living. If you make X% per day swing trading then you could make that same % whilst holding down a full time job provided you can still keep an eye on the charts. This is why I feel that argument is pretty poor - Fair enough, most people probably don't commit for long enough but for those who do it is possible. Another 3 or 4 years building an account wil take me to my early 30's and my kids will just be starting school - Perfect :clap:

So you take the pi55 out of your employer...

One has to take everything on this forum with a pinch of salt, people tend to exaggerate or give false information.

If I've believed everything I've read in the Swan's post, I would have to log in to check my account to make sure I'm not dreaming about my trading.

BTW I've found his style very convincing - almost tried to log in.:LOL:

You've obviously come an unbelievably long way in a year or so, no more 20 pips a day for a quid a pip either eh?..Well done, enjoy Tokyo...

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-discussion/78330-adx-no-good.html#post962698

Found some "inspiration" for those of use hanging on to the dream.

Consider these success stories:
• In a trading contest in 1987, Larry Williams ran $10,000
up to $1.1 million dollars in less than a year.
• Michael Marcus started with a trading account of $30,000
and over a period of years garnered over $80 million in
profits.
• Richard Dennis became a legendary trader in the grain
pits in Chicago in the 1970’s. Starting with a reported
$400, Dennis ran it up to over $200 million dollars (his
father is reported to have made one of the greatest
understatements of all time when he said, “Richie did a
pretty good job of running up that $400 bucks”).

Taken from "The four biggest mistakes in futures trading"

Lodian

Thanks Swan.

I don't like compounding all the time. It may take a bit longer to make it to the list.;)

christmas-flavoured-pot-noodle-pic-pa-782213301.jpg

profits.

Lodian

you may as well use the weekly lottery winners over the last 16 years as "inspiration" to the weekly punters.

I've got 'Japanese in 30 days' some time ago. Instead of learning, spent hours no end on the forum.
Not to despair - I've learned how to say Happy New Year:cool::

Akema****e omedeto gozaimasu

あけましておめでとうございます

you may as well use the weekly lottery winners over the last 16 years as "inspiration" to the weekly punters.

I just find a lot of people tend to run with, because they have failed repeatedly at this then others cannot do it. That they have seen and done it all. The ones I mentioned there is because I was reading them on pdf as part of a book. There are obviously thousands of successful traders. Money is never lost it only changes hands. When you win on a trade you have taken it from someone else and vice versa.

Lodian

They get their money's worth out of me but yeah, basically.

You are not the only one!!!!
And of course its no way limited to traders.
Facebook users are probably worse and more numerous.
Smokers too.
Its all give & take.

I hate the term system.

Thank you.

The main reason one can't buy a system is that a trading system contains two key parts; a trading strategy and the trader. You can buy a strategy.

Worse, the most likely component to fail is the trader, not the strategy. A successful strategy can work for one trader but fail for another. Another part of a trading system that is seldom mentioned is a quality assurance method to detect failure and differentiate between trader failure or strategy failure do to systemic changes in the market.

So, now you have Howard's idea of a trading system; a strategy, a trader and a method to detect failure of either or both.

One of the greatest dangers in trading is the danger of high expectations. By focusing optimistically on how much money he or she is going to make,trader can easily overlook the more important task of planning out how to deal with all of the bad things that he or she will inevitably experience.

Lodian

profits.

Lodian

Lodian

You should read Black Swan by Taleb.

Let's turn this around somewhat - what are the chances of the above NOT happening given the millions of people that try their hand at trading? Just by sheer luck, some people would have exceptional results.

When looking for information to confirm our views, we can suffer from confirmation bias. So - we see something that confirms and we tend not to look any deeper. As Gecko posted recently - it's a cognitive bias and something that really doesn't help much in this arena.

Fact is - just by pure chance, you would expect the above to occur. Now - I am not saying the above people are not skilled but you may want to consider that...

"it's skill that makes you profitable but luck that determines how much"

I can't remember where I heard it but my observations are that this is indeed true.

DT

Lodian

You should read Black Swan by Taleb.

Let's turn this around somewhat - what are the chances of the above NOT happening given the millions of people that try their hand at trading? Just by sheer luck, some people would have exceptional results.

When looking for information to confirm our views, we can suffer from confirmation bias. So - we see something that confirms and we tend not to look any deeper. As Gecko posted recently - it's a cognitive bias and something that really doesn't help much in this arena.

Fact is - just by pure chance, you would expect the above to occur. Now - I am not saying the above people are not skilled but you may want to consider that...

"it's skill that makes you profitable but luck that determines how much"

I can't remember where I heard it but my observations are that this is indeed true.

DT

DT is right. It is a probabilistic inevitability that some (very few) will make a killing out of trading. A very small percentage of those success stories are based on pure trading skill, but most others just luck.

Consider this: most traders start off their trading careers with a good initial run. Then, as they continue, they give it all back and more. It takes real trading skill to be consistently profitable.

The really skillful day traders are those who haven't had a single losing day for over several years. Not because they have a magical system, but because they are truly gifted traders.

The really skillful day traders are those who haven't had a single losing day for over several years.

why is it so many guys on this forum assume to be succesful you have to be a day-trader? in my opinion by far the greatest percentage of losers are day-traders. Sticking to the longer time frames is far easier, you'll have down days, but you'll be a winner over the long run...

why is it so many guys on this forum assume to be succesful you have to be a day-trader? in my opinion by far the greatest percentage of losers are day-traders. Sticking to the longer time frames is far easier, you'll have down days, but you'll be a winner over the long run...

This is an interesting post. In your opinion, the greatest percentage of losers are...

What would opinion have to do with a statistical fact (or otherwise) ?

Surely such lines should not be crossed by a trader.. opinion is opinion, unknowns are unkowns and reasearched statistics are researched statistics.

If we can't even get these things right, what hope is there?

Didn't Larry Williams get prosecuted by the NFA or somebody in relation to that claim? I think what happened was he had 2 or 3 accounts, one made a million but the others list a couple of million. He only mentioned the winning account in his advertising but got caught. I must try to find the article. It was a few years ago.

Paul Tudor jones started out as a broker and with his experience he stated what's pretty logical when you are placing the odds against you by incurring higher transaction costs and when cutting your winners short that 95% of daytraders are losers.

Cutting winners short arbitrarily and limiting your upside compounding potential ain't great financial sense.

The big money is in the big swings, and a minority of your trades will make the majority of your profits, so you have to maximise your winners, not prune em.

"An Analysis Of The Profiles And Motivations Of Habitual Commodity Speculators

He is both an aggressive investor and an active gambler. This trader does not consider preservation of his commodity capital to be a very high trading priority. As a result, he rarely uses stop loss orders. He wins more frequently than he loses (over 51% of the time) but is an overall net loser in dollar terms. In spite of recurring trading losses, he has never made any substantial change in his basic trading style. To this trader, whether he won or lost on a particular trade is more important than the size of the win or loss. Thus he consistently cuts his profits short while letting his losses run.

http://ideas.repec.org/p/ags/uiucao/14768.html

It's all about maximising your winners, and not about wanting to be right.

Multi-Billionaire George Soros:
"I don't care when I'm wrong. I cut my losses and move on to the next opportunity. Trading is not about being right. It's about how much you make when you are right."

You have to max your winners, because:

Kenneth Grant, who in "Trading Risk: Enhanced Profitability through Risk Control", depicts his experience as risk manager for some of the best and most successful hedge funds, amongst others Paul Tudor Jones funds and Steve Cohens SAC Capital, that:

ACROSS ALL MARKET CONDITIONS, TRADING STYLES, TIME FRAMES AND TRADERS, ONE RULE HOLDS TRUE:

10% OF ALL TRADES INEVITABLY ACCOUNT FOR 90% OF PROFITS !

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Risk-E.../dp/0471650919

Thiose figures are roughly true in my case as well, roundabout 20% of my trades resulting in 80% of my profits, just reproving that Paretos Priciple is ubiquitously valid, but also means that your big winners when you do get em really need to be maxed out, and not cut short if you want to align the odds and extent of your success with your trading timeframe.

Of course there are some successful daytraders, but the odds of making it when never capitalising on the really big swings are definitely against you, and even if you do make it you won't be getting filthy rich because your upside potential is limited as well due to liquidity issues, and all that while stressfully having to watch a screen the whole day, so I'd really consider if you want to go down that path.

In summary, very few make it in daytrading, those that do have a pretty stressful life, and you won't ever be howling with the top dogs, so why choose daytrading ???

Nothing to do with funds either, Dan Zanger started with all of 10 000 dollars and turned that into 42 million within 2 years off of simple chart patterns and with really letting his winners run by holding over several days or weeks depending on chart.

Or think of Darvas who turned what was it, 20 or 30 k into several million within several months,also holding over days and weeks, etc.

Last edited:
I've got 'Japanese in 30 days' some time ago. Instead of learning, spent hours no end on the forum.
Not to despair - I've learned how to say Happy New Year:cool::

Akema****e omedeto gozaimasu

あけましておめでとうございます

Anata wa Nippon ni summimasuka ?

I lived in Tokyo 5 years and absolutely loved my time there :)

Roppongi, Lexington Queen, my my :clap: