Why do people lose money on the market?

I came to you? hallucinations have you submitted yourself for psychiatric examination?

CityTrader said:
I'm really not picking on you, trust me, you are not even on my radar, but... What the fck are you talking about???? If you want a confessional, try a priest. If you want to show off the fact that you appear to have just blagged your first girlfriend try the pub, but your social and sexual inadequacies are simply superfluous to this discussion board.

He did say that he was second only to Socrates.

People lose because they enter when most others (fellow losers) enter and exit when most others (fellow losers) exit.

They may be hard-working, consistently execute their plan, and have well-developed risk management, but they must learn to think outside of the box i.e. do what most others (the losers) find uncomfortable.

I don't believe that thought comes into the equation anymore than in any other, rather monotonous, occupation. Most everyday activities are accompished with the minimum of thought. In fact, once it becomes routine it becomes automatic. The once a week, or month, traders may give their trading some thought, but day trading, or swingtrading certain shares, is reaction. Once the plan is seen to have an acceptable ratio of winners to losers, thinking about it becomes dangerous. Thinking means tinkering to improve the plan.

This leads me to doubt the veracity of those, so-called, intellectuals who are, always, asking questions about our abilities. Those who need help, beware! Those "teachers" who do not address the poster's problems with a direct suggestion are, probably, using the thread to bolster their own egos. They'll keep waffling away for pages and pages and, in the end, the poster's question remains unanswered- which was what was intended, anyway.

I've just had a lousy month by switching my normal, profitable, swing trading procedure to daytrading an index. Whow !!!!! I started to think! :idea: The results have been, truly, incredible :( I have decideded stop that habit, immediately.

Split

Reactions: TWI
Good old fashioned trading seems to be dying out,and in its place come the spreadbetters and gumption less.

All the charts, plans, systems, scalpers, and god knows what else we see advertised to "help us" pick winning stocks - such indicators are very closely related to the the horse racing systems that we see advertised in the Exchange and Mart.

What's happened to picking stocks in companies that you genuinely like and adopting more that a 15 minute trading plan?

in2uxs said:
Good old fashioned trading seems to be dying out,and in its place come the spreadbetters and gumption less.

All the charts, plans, systems, scalpers, and god knows what else we see advertised to "help us" pick winning stocks - such indicators are very closely related to the the horse racing systems that we see advertised in the Exchange and Mart.

What's happened to picking stocks in companies that you genuinely like and adopting more that a 15 minute trading plan?

Nothing's happened to it I have stocks that I have held for two years. I'm sure that I am not alone.

Split

Yes

Yes, I do.

How many gamblers win .... 1 in 10,000
How many on here win .... 1 in 9,999

Therefore using deduction we draw to only one conclusion.

in2uxs said:
Yes

Yes, I do.

How many gamblers win .... 1 in 10,000

Therefore using deduction we draw to only one conclusion.

That is a speculative answer. You have no way of knowing that of other people anymore than we know anything about you. These boards are full of arguments which are based on nothing more than speculation as to everyone's circmstances.

I do know that the U.K.'s private sector debt was (several months ago) over 1 trillion pounds. Perhaps, that helps you in your assessment but a percentage of us have no debt, apart from mortgage, that cannot be liquidated before the end of the month.

Im curious to know why it is you have joined such a futile task to become one of the 6 or is it that you have acheived your goal and just need to confirm you are right and indeed one of 59994

dc2000 said:
Im curious to know why it is you have joined such a futile task to become one of the 6 or is it that you have acheived your goal and just need to confirm you are right and indeed one of 59994
Whether you are curious or not is irrelevant. He happens to be right.

People lose money in the markets because they do not have :-

1. A proper trade entry strategy
2. A proper stop loss strategy
3. A proper exit strategy
4. A proper profit target strategy

Even if they had all of these, most people would not apply them properly anyway.

Imho of course.