Weekly forecast for S&P 500 cash 2011

With all the uncertainty and weekend media at work - best step forward is to take what you can off the table whilst one is ahead and get out.

Anyone who stays in over weekend likely to be people with inside knowldedge in the know.

I'd expect a big sell-off in the next couple of hours...

I went long on ES yesterday at 15:51. I will be staying in over the weekend. This move isn't over yet even if there is a sell-off (which I doubt) at EoD.

Reason? SP commercials traded heavily on Wednesday. I think they know something.

It's amazing to think that almost 3 years ago, I turned up here not knowing jack about any of this and now I'm coming up with stuff like this.

That's down to talking to you lot and doing a bit of thinking. I enjoy your company and banter and long may it live. :D

I agree, I have found some useful stuff from the conversations on T2W over the last year on here. But it's a ghost town of late. I've been spending a more time lately on Bike Mikes Trading Forum as it's mostly futures day traders using ninjatrader. So have learned a lot from there as well, and there's some decent twitter feeds for ES like #ole34 that I keep an eye on as well.

I agree, I have found some useful stuff from the conversations on T2W over the last year on here. But it's a ghost town of late. I've been spending a more time lately on Bike Mikes Trading Forum as it's mostly futures day traders using ninjatrader. So have learned a lot from there as well, and there's some decent twitter feeds for ES like #ole34 that I keep an eye on as well.

That's interesting - I might check that out as I think I'm probably one of the few on here that trades ES. It was learning to daytrade ES that finally unlocked the swing trading (day structure, market information & state fed back into swing trade selection & exit). I occasionally intraday but find it makes me quite hyper and slightly aggresive. It's a buzz but I don't sleep well. Swing trading suits me more.

That's interesting - I might check that out as I think I'm probably one of the few on here that trades ES. It was learning to daytrade ES that finally unlocked the swing trading (day structure, market information & state fed back into swing trade selection & exit). I occasionally intraday but find it makes me quite hyper and slightly aggresive. It's a buzz but I don't sleep well. Swing trading suits me more.

Bah, humbug :p

Peter

It's amazing to think that almost 3 years ago, I turned up here not knowing jack about any of this and now I'm coming up with stuff like this.

That's down to talking to you lot and doing a bit of thinking. I enjoy your company and banter and long may it live. :D

Funny you should say that: now you're helping me out. It's nice to see that all traders come from somewhere (y)

-----

As for the S&P, last time I saw price action this flat on a Friday was on July 8th of this year. Implosion at the beginning and on to an upswing to b/e and almost paranormally flat for the rest of the day.

... I remember it because I went for a 60-contract options straddle while not even being used to 1... lol. 20 at the open, and pilled it on as it went down and leavened it on the up. All in the wrong order, of course. Thankfully, only a small loss, but I damn well learned my lesson that day -- not to mention the quasi heart-attack, haha.

*Ahem* You may resume, gents.

ES has a habit of taking off in the last hour on trend days, although the base it has built in this area looks quite large now so maybe this is it after all.....

5 minutes to go. Looks good for us bulls!
Pat, get ready to reconfigure those premature stats :p

Peter

ahem
The Forex calender had yesterday down as a public holiday BUT yahoo has some trading figures i.e. close = 1263.8
Perhaps take a vote of playing members on which figures to use ? Am open to suggestions :-
1. accept public hol and so 1239.7
2.Friday did produce some figures i.e. 1263.8
3. cancell this weeks comp
4. accept both as valid

?
entries by midnight today GMT please
in the event of a draw then we will have 4. so there

Last edited:
Should be based upon NYSE holiday calendar which determines whether the composite was active or not IMO.

Both US and Canadian markets were closed yesterday.

I also recall seeing a call to zero all US futures and cash for the marks at work from one of our traders...

However, if it is based on voting for points and personal interest Gaff & I lost already...

Is that fair?

The stock market was open as usual. They had a minutes silence on the floor of the NYSE, but then carried on as usual. Only the US bond market was shut. The competition is for the S&P 500 cash, which was open and closed the week at 1263.85.

Fair dos. Fixed Income markets were closed.

NYSE was open. NYSE Holiday Schedule 2011 | New York Stock Exchange

Thanks to Atilla conceding to fair play here is the amended result

For Week Ending Friday 11th November at 1263.8

Name...........Call.........Points.......Direction .......Podium ...……Total

Atilla.............1212...........10.............. . 0... ..............0..........10
dpinpon.........1284............8................. 1 ... .............0...........9
Pat494………...1271….…........7.......…........1………... ........1……....….9
DonStar.........1287...........7..................1 . ........ ........0...........8
Wt av............1264...........4.................1.. ... . ...........3.............8
wackypete2....1295...........7.................1. .. .. ...........0............8
LuKOs.ro........0000...........6.................0 . .... ............0...........6
Av.................1281...........4............... ..1. .................0............5
Gaffs1964......1225...........4..................0 ... . .............0...........4
Isatrader........1275...........3................ .1.. . ...............0............4
robster970......1265...........1.................1 ... . ..............2..............4
dc2000...........0000...........3................. 0.. ... .............0............3
VielGeld........1280...........0.................. 1...................0..............1

Thanks to Atilla conceding to fair play here is the amended result

For Week Ending Friday 11th November at 1263.8

Name...........Call.........Points.......Direction .......Podium ...……Total

Atilla.............1212...........10.............. . 0... ..............0..........10
dpinpon.........1284............8................. 1 ... .............0...........9
Pat494………...1271….…........7.......…........1………... ........1……....….9
DonStar.........1287...........7..................1 . ........ ........0...........8
Wt av............1264...........4.................1.. ... . ...........3.............8
wackypete2....1295...........7.................1. .. .. ...........0............8
LuKOs.ro........0000...........6.................0 . .... ............0...........6
Av.................1281...........4............... ..1. .................0............5
Gaffs1964......1225...........4..................0 ... . .............0...........4
Isatrader........1275...........3................ .1.. . ...............0............4
robster970......1265...........1.................1 ... . ..............2..............4
dc2000...........0000...........3................. 0.. ... .............0............3
VielGeld........1280...........0.................. 1...................0..............1

Like to say sorry for getting it wrong on NYSE guys. :eek:

Cheers Pat :)