Swing trading With a Difference

I hope this thread doesn't die.
Personally I don't trade on it as I'm not at the screen often enough but it's an excellent thread and is improving my understanding of things.

cj12 - thanks for yr comments - I've been trading long enough to take a loss and see it as a statistical certainty - it's just a shame it was the first time I traded this set-up for real.

I am a committed Gold bug (I hate that naff name) . . . . on an hourly chart Feb Gold gives loads of ''cj12'' set-ups in a time frame I am more comfortable with. My filter would be long only in the current market. I agree about the 65-85% retracements. It's almost as though, without this, they don't have the spring to clear P2.

Joe Ross. . . . what do you think? I've been reading his free stuff over the past weeks. A bit long winded eh? Saying that his 'trader's trick' entry is very effective. However worthwhile set-ups are rare - or at least seem to be. Anyone any thoughts? How many proceeding bars do you think you'd need to justify a Ross Hook? I know he is very specific about this (or at least I think it's in there somewhere - like I say - v long winded) - surely secondary proof of a trend would improve reliability. The downside would be less of a retracement before the resumption, especially in a strong trend.

Thanks

cj12 said:
I suspect this thread will die a death, as we had our firsts loss. The win on the short trade covered this loss.

No trades intraday on the YM today/but a few on the Dow 30 shares. chart below.Fasnet sorry about you loss. What I have giving you here is raw, I look at other filters to get me in and out, I will tell you all at a later date, but you need to digest what I have given you.

Fasnet you mentioned about 123 reversals. Take a look at Joe Ross, he trades these, but he didn't discover them, they are years old. there are many ways to trade them. But what I have giving you is something to implement in to your own trading.

This give 37 point today on two trades.

CJ12,

this thread wont die away !!
I try to learn things afresh, but you cant help but bring along baggage from other ideas.

I see the retracements as Fibonacci ( sorry ), and therefore feel comfortable reading them.
I still feel reluctant trading against the major trend. But thats MY problem. I feel a retrace into the main trend is statistically more likely to complete.

Your 65%-85% is not very far from Fibonaccis 62% - 78% !!

Anything that adds to our tools, is a good thing.
( I personally want a string of 20 trades on paper to ascertain viability, but I feel comfortable with the idea anyway - look forward to your further revelations )

:)

If this 5min short setup pans out then target between 9933-9899.

1: 10127
2: 9958
3: ??

Attachments

• 5min DOW.gif
    5min DOW.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 263
....wondering if this will deliver? I'm long from todays' 7-10am breakout...if it can just hold off heading south for another day... :eek:

Attachments

• 60Min EUR-USD Short.gif
    60Min EUR-USD Short.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 221
Hi CC - sorry if I'm being a bit thick but are you waiting for a short set-up (depending on where P3 is defined) or are you already long and looking for a new high?

I think it's the former which is why I don't understand why you are long??

Thanks

PS - maybe some of us could post set ups we see developing on our favourite charts?

FN, apologies for the confusion. I trade breakout strats in the background and today I'm long EUR/USD. I noticed the hrly short setup unfolding, the international trade deficit report is likely to confirm direction from here.

I agree, it would be great to see other setups posted.

Hi all,

Excellent thread - thankyou for sharing this with us cj12, looks very interesting.

I have been looking at setups and think I see a potential on the daily YM. I don't have exact pivot prices to hand.

P1 9780 = double bottom early Aug
P2 10360 = double top early Sept
P3 9950 yesterday low

Looking for long entry at 10080 with target of 10530.

Assuming this looks ok, does the fact that the price has spiked up to 10250 and back down negate this potential setup?

Thanks,
Gizmo

From Fastnet
Joe Ross. . . . what do you think? I've been reading his free stuff over the past weeks. A bit long winded eh? Saying that his 'trader's trick' entry is very effective. However worthwhile set-ups are rare - or at least seem to be. Anyone any thoughts? How many proceeding bars do you think you'd need to justify a Ross Hook? I know he is very specific about this (or at least I think it's in there somewhere - like I say - v long winded) - surely secondary proof of a trend would improve reliability. The downside would be less of a retracement before the resumption, especially in a strong trend.

Thanks[/QUOTE

Joe Ross. for a 123 set up, after p2 is past. he says no more than 3 down bars lets say this is on a 5 min chart. but you get 6 down bars, and get the break on the 5 down bar, he would say no trade, but if you was watching a 10 min chart the break would be valid, so in my opinion subjective, Even what i have offered with my 123, it's subjective to a certain degree.

Im giving you time to see where others might take this method what I have offered.There is a lot more to this method,When I feel its time I will add more details to it.

im long late last night at 9974 looking to take some money off the table at 10060. stop will be moved as the price goes in my favour

CJ

MGBRoadster said:
I thought it might still be heading for the lower channel line

Thanks MGB.

Just had a look on the 60min YM chart and with your response this has certainly helped me see a very different pattern!

P1 10045
P2 9950
P3 10000

Entry 9976 with target of 9905.

Gizmo

cj12 said:
From Fastnet

Thanks[/QUOTE

Joe Ross. for a 123 set up, after p2 is past. he says no more than 3 down bars lets say this is on a 5 min chart. but you get 6 down bars, and get the break on the 5 down bar, he would say no trade, but if you was watching a 10 min chart the break would be valid, so in my opinion subjective, Even what i have offered with my 123, it's subjective to a certain degree.

Im giving you time to see where others might take this method what I have offered.There is a lot more to this method,When I feel its time I will add more details to it.

im long late last night at 9974 looking to take some money off the table at 10060. stop will be moved as the price goes in my favour

CJ

Are you long because of a 123? Or a different setup. I dont see it on the chart.

I can see a long from above 9980 (>25%) Targetting 10020.

Thanks

gizmo said:
Thanks MGB.

Just had a look on the 60min YM chart and with your response this has certainly helped me see a very different pattern!

P1 10045
P2 9950
P3 10000

Entry 9976 with target of 9905.

Gizmo

Wouldnt P3 need to be above 10012 to have a valid retrace greater than 65%?

...EUR update if P3 @1.2418 holds. Doesn't look like it wants to roll over yet though:

P1 2432
P2 2224
P3 2418
Entry 2366
StopL 2433
Crit Price 2314
Target 2210

Running a trend line along the lows of the P2 to P3 leg up can improve entries, once P3 is 'in'; ie enter when the trend line is broken.

ChowClown said:
....wondering if this will deliver? I'm long from todays' 7-10am breakout...if it can just hold off heading south for another day... :eek:

Last edited:
CC = the set-up fits but with this pair being sucked up into their medium term up-trend channel I wouldn't bet against a break upward. Opinions differ but I would pass on this set-up.

Yes, 'trade what you see' springs to mind...I'm just watching this setup unfold and imho it ain't confirmed....yet.

:cheesy: Here's an idea:

Design or buy the worlds worst trading system which looses huge amounts of money ....................................................................................then reverse the signals!

Last edited:
Your trading still not improved then GotGold? Please keep this thread clean unless you wish to contribute.

Thanks