Swing trading With a Difference

cj12 - does this mean that on DJ daily charts we have:

1) 9790 on Aug 15th
2) 10,360 on Sept 7th
3) 10,040 on Sept 23rd

so go long 10,182 with stop at 10,040 and a target of 10,610???

Cheers

cj12 said:
I cant understand why nobody have replied to this post on my findings, it's either to complex or to basic, which of the two is it.

CJ

lol - probably too basic, esp for those burdened with all the indicator propoganda.
It's a good one.
May be better in the First Steps thread I think. Save the newbies a lot of time and effort.
Glenn

Fastnet

I would rather short at 10169 with a target of 9877 based on:

Pivot 1 - 10358
Pivot 2 - 9969
Pivot 3 - 10266

fastnet said:
cj12 - does this mean that on DJ daily charts we have:

1) 9790 on Aug 15th
2) 10,360 on Sept 7th
3) 10,040 on Sept 23rd

so go long 10,182 with stop at 10,040 and a target of 10,610???

Cheers

Hmm - depends where you draw your line in the sand for pivot 1 I suppose. . . Maybe you should decide based on the overall direction on the next timescale up (daily for 10 min chart, weekly for daily chart).

cj12 - over to you?.

BTW - cj12 - you've already done much more than most by posting yr system in full. However I wonder if there are any fine tuning mechanisms such as only taking trades in the direction of bigger trend etc. Also how often do you get stopped out? 1 in 2, 1in 3?

I agree that it is a bit subjective (especially where to move stops up to BE) but this is okay - if it were totally mechanical it could be replicated by a machine in 15 minutes.

(probably a lot more efficiently . . . ;-)

Cheers

A nice one on the 1-min Dec Ftse futs - just got me out of a mess on previous trade - instead of cutting it I reversed it into a 'CJ' 1-2-3-4 and all is well.

Glenn

fastnet said:
Hmm - depends where you draw your line in the sand for pivot 1 I

Fastnet

I don't disagree with your observation - I just see a shorter term opportunity within your setup.

Goober - hear you loud and clear and thanks for the tip. . . .

I am in shock this afternoon after missing the break out on the EUR/USD chart. . . only up side is that it should benefit my longer term Gold posn.

Still looking for the catch with cj12's system - the only cast iron method is to take it for a test drive. .

Cheers

I tend you use them more on 60 min charts. the thing to do, is experiment what works best for you,

CJ

Last edited:
Dow:
Last High of 10,107 at 18:15 Friday.( P1 )
Last Low of 10,036 at 20:20 Friday. ( P2 )

Lastest High of 10,094, today.
Can I treat this as a P3, Cj12 ?? Am I reading this right ?
Allow 25% drop, therefore entry at 10,074 or thereabouts.

Sorry fro lateness - probs loading into Photoshop and saving as png etc, etc etc
:)

edit: price target of 10,010 ( same distance as from P1 to P2, )

Hi trendie,

What chart TF are you using, 10min? I understood the target calculation as P1-(P2+P3), which, in this case, gives an exit of 10023?

ChowClown said:
Hi trendie,

What chart TF are you using, 10min? I understood the target calculation as P1-(P2+P3), which, in this case, gives an exit of 10023?

I am using Prophet.net charts, 5 mins.
The number was off-the-top-of-my-head, and was meant only as a guideline.

I agree with your formula !
I was trying to say, the profit target from P3, is to be same distance as from P1 to P2 !
I didnt say it well, as I was trying to get it posted asap. I would have liked to post a chart as well, but....

No worries - i bundled cj's notes into excel 2am Sat, so wouldn't be surprised of a few howlers. Attached for those interested. Just tap in P1, P2 and P3.

trendie said:
I am using Prophet.net charts, 5 mins.
The number was off-the-top-of-my-head, and was meant only as a guideline.

I agree with your formula !
I was trying to say, the profit target from P3, is to be same distance as from P1 to P2 !
I didnt say it well, as I was trying to get it posted asap. I would have liked to post a chart as well, but....

Attachments

• 123 reversal.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 513
taking a long time to drop !!
hasnt even reached the half-way point, to set trade to break-even.

What have I have giving you is raw material which you can work with, I will go more in depth with this concept at a later date?what i have showing you is only 20% of the method. Use you mind to observe, to record to note changes. If you like the market conditions and they fit what rules go for it, if the rules don't fit market conditions or conditions don't fit the rules. let the trade go, look for anther. Remember what I have giving you is an extra tool to implement in to your own trading style

CJ

Last edited:
Pivot Point

Hi CJ
THats fine and it was a quick reply from u....Sorry for my late reply, :)
actually i was checking up other links and some new thread discussed by FTSE BEater regarding Basics of Trading which is of a very good worth reading for newbies like me...
After going thru that i was able to get few things and also got cleared about the Pivot points and they are calculated based on Previous days High, Low and close values....
By the way iam having a doubt with regards to Pivot points which u discussed in this thread, You refer as Pivot 1, Pivot 2 ..... But when Pivot point is calculated further they arrive with 2 Support values and 2 resistance value..... IS that Support and resistance value do u refer as Pivot 1 , Pivot 2 ....? :|
Sorry if its been not making any sense, thought its better to clarify from you....!!!!
Cheers VP :rolleyes:

vishwamv

Repeat from post 18. What I said about pivots. you can use them as support & resistance
Most traders are familiar with pivots. A pivot point is simply the point at which a security changes direction and is therefore a turning point. A pivot low price bar has higher bars before and after it A pivot high looks like the mirror image of a pivot low.

Pivots signify the end of a short-term move and minor reversal or the end of the dominant trend .I use Pivot points to calculate my buying or selling entry you can use Fibonacci or gann levels of support and resistance entry and exits, and in a host of other trading techniques.

A pivot range is also based on the high, low and close, but is calculated somewhat differently than a pivot point. As the name implies, pivot ranges have a high and low limit. hope this have helped.

CJ

On the daily we got a sell.but if 10105 is hit the short will be off.

CJ

Last edited:
Hi CJ, the link doesn't open at the moment....if it's daily, P1 from Sept highs??

Also, if using 'method 1', how much room (if any) do you give around the 65% & 85% retracement levels for P3, as a rule of thumb?

Last edited: