Spread betting companies and making a living out of spreadbetting

MONKEY2001

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but have been following various discussions for some time.

I have been speadbetting for around a year now and i do really enjoy it. i am probably averaging around 4-5 trades a week but finding that i do make good profits i.e. out of 10 trades i am making small loss on one and then i get hit with a bad loss which cleans me out completely. My question to the forum is do people actually make a living out of SB? Am i correct in assuming that to make a proper living out of it you need 30-40k to start with (i.e. to cover the market/trades going against you? Assuming you are quite highly geared?)

Also, i have heard from some traders that the SB can somehow trade against you and this is achieved because the platforms mirror say the ftse but not actually track it if that makes sense? I cannot believe this is true or has any fact? The SB companies i use are incredibly professional.

My point is that i would love to embark on a full time business with it but feel a bit scared by throwing all my weight behind something which is ultimately futile because the odds are stacked against you.

Any thoughts??